BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tecate border crossing
Scotty

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 02:27 PM
Tecate border crossing

Can anyone give an insight into the crossing going north? We crossed at Tecate going south but someone has since told us that the lane is too narrow going north for a large RV.
Thanks

Currently in the Baha and loving it!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 04:22 PM

Big RV's and trailers cross there all the time. You just have to be careful that you do not go straight when you get to the bottom of the hill. You need to start going east on the main road through town and turn back towards the border crossing. (A little confusing, but it is a little confusing to find the road) It is marked now so it is a little easier. When you come in to Tecate from the south, you come almost to the center of town and then take the road headed east (not the toll road) and then you will see the US exit about 1 mile from the intersection.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 04:56 PM

Might need to "chain-up" before they'll let you head south.:lol:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 08:17 PM

The right turn in town is at the light by the train tracks. Follow the signs (they are small and posted at the side of the road) until the sign heads you up the hill (left) towards the border. The new crossing is quite a ways east of the old crossing.
Norm
Junior Nomad

Mood: GOOD!!!!!

tongue.gif posted on 1-15-2007 at 08:48 AM
TECATE CROSSING !!!!!!!!!!!

We have used this crossing for a long time. When the new ill planned gates were opend we were one of the first to use it ,$%^$%$^#%^^& well with our carolina 25 + our peterbuilt hauler we are near 58 feet long !!!!! There was a nice man at that time at the gate, he called in to the office~They said do the looking at the gate !!!! This was fine until we headed out, we can in no way make that turn to the left, sooooooo they will open the gate & let you go out with the trucks !!!!!!!!
Now this last nov we came in agan ,, this time we got in with the trucks, all went well untill the boss man came out !!!!!!! He was crying the blues / YOU CAN NOT DO THIS ??????We ask what is the problemo ????He tells us that if he lets us go this way~~ Then all them big sucker M.H. will want to cum this way toooooooo!!!! We tell him to use a jack hammer & take that big corner out, Then we can make that turn !!!!!!
We are heading out agan this week end to lapaz , then come back to get the boat, JUST CAN'T WAIT TO CROSS THERE AGAN !!!!!
If you have a good rig , JUST TRY TO MAKE THE TURN TO THE LEFT , THEN BLOCK BOTH LANES ~~ THEY WILL OPEN THE GATE FOR YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It would be a good time to send letters to catrans / & or the gov & try to set this up for a better planned crossing!!after all we paid for this mess !!!!!!!!!!!
************** HEADING SOUTH ************

Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 1-15-2007 at 10:04 AM

Otay crossing south - is that easier than Tecate or San Ysidro? I've never crossed at Tecate. Pulling a 30' airstream and am approx 53' long.
Otay to the toll road - anyone have directions??:light:

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
Norm
Junior Nomad

Mood: GOOD!!!!!

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 09:22 AM

:fire:NO + YOU GET LOST !!!!!!!!!!!
OTAY IS BAD NEWS !!!!!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajalover
Otay crossing south - is that easier than Tecate or San Ysidro? I've never crossed at Tecate. Pulling a 30' airstream and am approx 53' long.
Otay to the toll road - anyone have directions??:light:

Which toll road? 2-D to Mexicali is just a few blocks south of the Otay crossing.

To get to 1-D the usual way, you follow the many signs for ROSARITO... which is really easy, but using Otay to go south to Ensenada is much longer than if you cross at San Ysidro.

However, if you use the new Blvd. 2000 hwy. to Popotla (south side of Rosarito), then Otay is the easiest way... Follow the signs for Tecate Cuota (2-D) then at the bighorn sheep monument turn right onto the new hwy.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 10:23 AM

We have used the Tecate crossing going north for years. Even with the longer drive we found with a quicker time in line it was comparable to crossing at Tijuana. But the last 3 times it has been over 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs+ in line. Half the time spent on a very steep grade.

Untill they expand the two lanes we won't be using Tecate for north crossings.

:no:
Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 03:05 PM

Many thanks, I wouldhave made a bad mistake crossing at Otay. Shall take TJ instead. I need to get a tourist visa so I can go to Bahia de LA for about 3 to 4 weeks or so. Then I don't know where I'll go yet.
There's been alot of info regarding this topic which I must look up.
Hats off :spingrin: to the Bajanomad group. tks.

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
We have used the Tecate crossing going north for years. Even with the longer drive we found with a quicker time in line it was comparable to crossing at Tijuana. But the last 3 times it has been over 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs+ in line. Half the time spent on a very steep grade.

After spending over two hours to get across in TJ in August, on a Monday, with the Mexican policia closing several access points to the line just as we arrived, I will gladly take the one lane at Tecate.
In December, on a Monday too, the wait in Tecate was less than 1/2 an hour and EVERYBODY in line was polite. We saw none of the rude line cutters that are all over TJ....It was a breath of fresh air.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

After spending over two hours to get across in TJ in August, on a Monday, with the Mexican policia closing several access points to the line just as we arrived, I will gladly take the one lane at Tecate.
In December, on a Monday too, the wait in Tecate was less than 1/2 an hour and EVERYBODY in line was polite. We saw none of the rude line cutters that are all over TJ....It was a breath of fresh air.

Taco,

Unlike you my crossings are usually on a Sat/Sun. I would expect shorter lines crossing on Monday. Lane cutters however, are not exclusive to Tijuana I'm sorry to say. Without the Police at the corner as you turn North (Tecate) the line wouldn't move at all. Just my 2 cents.

Again this board reveals many sides to the same topic.

One thing for sure, the wait is worth the joy of traveling in Baja no matter where you cross to get back home!

Ken
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 05:14 PM

On December 24 at 12:30 in the afternoon, I drove up to the border in Tecate going north without ANY one in front of me. I alway cross at Tecate, but this was a unique experience. When I commented about the lack of traffic to the US Immigration official he said the wait is usually five hours (I guess maybe a lame attempt at a joke---I don't know). My limited experience is that there is not usually a long wait in Tecate.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.