Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lady in Baja Norte
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2007 at 09:56 PM
Lady in Baja Norte

What ever happened to the lady in the Ensenada/Rosarita Beach that was imprisioned for excess drugs?

Therianthropic
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 1-18-2007 at 10:10 PM

i think her parents finally got her out; maybe check back issues of www.gringogazettenorth.com
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 11:02 AM

I believe she is still in jail.:?: What a terrible story. Everytime someone askes me to bring them back some pills, no matter what kind, and it is quite often, I remind myself of her story and politely say, I am sorry but no.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 11:17 AM

Is this the one?

American Woman Freed From Mexican Jail
Woman Spent 18 Months In Prison

POSTED: 12:52 pm PST December 11, 2004
UPDATED: 2:01 pm PST December 11, 2004

SAN DIEGO -- An American woman who spent 18 months in a Mexican prison for carrying medication without a prescription was set free Friday.

San Diego-area Rep. Bob Filner says Dawn Marie Wilson was released from a prison in Dublin in the Bay area at about 5 p.m., 10News reported.

Wilson was first transferred to a prison in El Paso, Texas, and later to the Dublin prison, Filner said. A prison official said she arrived at Dublin on Oct. 13. Officials could not comment on what accounted for the delay in her release from U.S. prisons.

On April 11, 2003, Wilson was driving southbound along the Baja peninsula to Puerto Escondido, where she and long-time partner, Terry Kennedy, live aboard a 45-foot Trimaran.

On the highway in Ensenada, she swerved to dodge a piece of furniture that dropped from a truck in front of her and hit a concrete barrier.

Wilson spent the night with a friend while her Toyota was being repaired.

The next morning, she was walking to the mechanic's shop when Mexican police stopped her, claiming she was hitchhiking, she and Kennedy have said in interviews.

Police found in her bag a three-month supply of Dilantin, a drug prescribed to her for seizures resulting from a horse-riding accident, and diet pills she was delivering to a friend.

Wilson was arrested and jailed because of the large amount of medication and also because she did not have prescriptions.

Since her arrest, dozens of people have fought for Wilson's release and contributed thousands of dollars to the cause.

Filner, who wrote to the U.S. Parole Commission asking for her speedy release, said what helped most was the publicity her case generated.

"My experience with the Mexican authorities is that publicity is the best thing," Filner said. "We tried to get as many news outlets to cover it [as we could]. So the combination of the pressure was what worked. The whole story is so sad."

Copyright 2004 by 10News.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

[Edited on 1-19-2007 by bajabound2005]
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 11:21 AM

Thanks for the update. I was just going back in the archives to look it up when you posted this. I wonder why they didn't make more of it when she was let out? Interesting article on the front of this weeks gringo. I would not have seen it unless you had posted that link. Seems there may be more truth to dr. teds story than some here figured.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 03:12 PM

Why did she do jail time in the states?
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 05:18 PM

maybe they did a prisoner exchange??
Timbercrete
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2007 at 06:58 AM

Sounds like she was on parole in the States and violated the conditions of it.

\"He, who farts in church,
Must sit in own pew\"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.