BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ensenada - Current Regs and Costs?
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-28-2007 at 02:36 PM
Ensenada - Current Regs and Costs?

Son-in-law just bought a new plane and wants to fly from New Jersey to Ensenada to visit. (I don't know the engine or prop info, but I know it is not a jet.)

What is your advice on this? ( I.e., airport regs and fuel costs, etc.?)

Thanks in advance for all input, and feel free to roll your eyes all you want at the newbie, but still, please post.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 1-28-2007 at 08:06 PM
ask him to cotact me and I can walk him thru it !

PM me and I will answer .

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-28-2007 at 08:42 PM

It would be nice to post the info here, as well... For future Baja bound pilots

Yes, there is always BajaBushPilots.com but Doug did make this forum for private pilots, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2007 at 09:17 AM

For more complete and accurate info refer to the bajabushpilots and/or AOPA sites.

Flying into and out of Mexico is not complex. Insurance coverage in Mexico must be documented and most purchase Mexican Issued Insurance although a US policy covering MX will be accepted-there are caveats to that. There are requirements about a non-owned planes etc. see above for details if applicable. You must have 12' numbers to cross the ADIZ.

A VFR flight plan must be filed in the US and a discreet Squawk Code received from FSS b4 crossing the border. They'll tell you when to change back to 1200. Advise whatever tower airspace you're passing through of your location; they'll respond with directives (mostly optional). Most pilots use 122.8, 122.75 or 123.45 for A-A chatter and/or help.

Airport procedures are common to the US, land and taxi as directed to Customs/Immigration. Safer to not bring food or restricted items. Be polite and cordial to the soldiers, they rarely speak english and are just doing their job; no tips.

In the office they will lead you through the steps of Flight Fees, customs and immigration; no big deal, pay your fees and No Mordida except perhaps the baggage and fuel guys.

Returning is a little more complex. At the airport you file an ICAO flight plan (they'll do it for you) and pay your fees. You also need to have a US Flight plan on file. Most of us file one for our return date and FSS will keep it on file until that date. If unsure of return date, file it for a later date or by phone from Mexico. Customs has to be notified of your arrival at least 1 hr in advance and you MUST arrive no earlier than stated and within 30 min. Very important! This is best accomplished with the pre-filed FP and/or calling the AOE Customs from MX prior to departing (phone #'s on BBP site or membership card). The flight plan on file satisfies the 1 hr notice but they sometimes get lost so best to call and get custom agents # to clarify and avoid fine. You have to land at the FIRST AOE available, for Ensenada-Brown Field, east of there, Calexico. After takeoff, call FSS on the radio and activate US FP and modify arrival time if necessary.

On landing at the AOE, stay in the plane until agent comes out to you. Some are more strict about this than others but its the rule. Depending on the length of the flight this can be tough but generally they understand that you might need to P and are usually prompt... Customs will check to see if you are on the bad guys list etc but it's all pretty much straight forward.

Enjoy!

kp

Sir Wilfred Grenfell said,

The service we render others� is the rent we pay for our room on earth. OR
-----
She was only a moonshiner\'s daughter but I loved her still!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.