Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FYI: Older threads have been closed
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 01:20 PM
FYI: Older threads have been closed

After a suggestion made most recently by Hose A regarding closing the older - and possibly "outdated" - threads on the forums...

...and mind you, Hose A volunteered to do this manually one-by-one over time... a task that would've taken him weeks to accomplish...

...last night I went and closed all the threads numbered less than 15000 - which goes back to around the beginning of 2006. After re-reviewing my Structured Query Language (SQL) commands, it took all of about 1 second for this to be accomplished.

SQL is a computer language used to work within the database. Jim Gray is the gentleman currently missing at sea and being searched for now in Mexico - and is a known SQL "guru". Reference:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=22536
http://research.microsoft.com/~Gray/

The replies to years-old threads continued to create confusion, and therefore this suggestion seemed to make perfect sense at this time. Expect at intermittent times that past threads will continue to be "locked down".

If, for any reason, there's a thread that's been locked - but is still somewhat viable - please use the "report" feature from that thread to request it being re-opened.

So, now I need to re-review my SQL stuff (and emails to assist from Lencho) to get those older attached pics back in (and yes, I STILL have them). Speaking of which, I still have pics from Dia de Reyes to get off my memory cards and post..... oh my... and to corrupt David K's quote..... so much BajaNomad, so little time.

Thank you everyone for your consideration and understanding.

Regards,
--
Doug

[Edited on 2-10-2007 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 01:29 PM

Thanks, Doug, for all the hard work you put into the care and feeding of this system. I'm especially excited about seeing some of those old photos. Yep it's true - you're a prince! ;D:dudette:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 01:40 PM

I agree with Natalie Ann!!!:bounce:
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 08:52 PM

Thanks for the continued efforts! :yes:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 09:19 PM
Doug, a differing opinion

It is an often repeated truth that we appreciate all of the work and thought that you put into making this wonderful vehicle available to all of us.

I just wish this destruction of our collective history was not necessary.

I have read all of my life that those who write history determine the past and influence the present and in come cases the future.

I wonder if that does not also hold true for those who erase the history of this board. I say this somewhat selfishly because I have gone back, on any number of occasions, to capture things written by others on this board and have written interesting stories or poems that would not been possible had that past been erased.

Doug, if you remember, you commented on this fact when we were talking about my last book.

Just imagine what we would know of Mexico and Baja had the Spaniards not erased history when they overran the Southern Americas and Mexico.

Thanks for listening.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
...I just wish this destruction of our collective history was not necessary.

Bernie,

Possibly a misunderstanding of my terms used above.

Nothing has been removed - no "destruction" that I'm aware of. I only made it so that older threads can't be replied to - as there has been confusion to Nomads here from replies made to years-old threads multiple times in the recent past.

I intend to make information posted here available for many years to come - and am slowly locking things in place to assure that it actually happens that way.

The actions in the past day, again, are simply removing the ability to reply to threads that were last commented on over a year ago.

If you still see a problem with this, please advise.

Thanks,
--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 09:40 AM
Doug!

Great. Thanks for the clarification.

Duh! Now that I understand, I like not being able to start old post over and over.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Another option might be for the original posters to just edit their messages and re-inject the photos.
Yes, possible, but that's a LOT of photos - and I wouldn't expect much to actually happen that way.

Sometimes it may not even be clear to the original poster which photo they had posted in that particular space/etc.

:biggrin:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-12-2007 at 09:02 AM

Please return the photos to the Trip Reports forum first, as the photos there probably have the most benefit to the Baja traveler making plans to head south.

Gracias

[Edited on 2-13-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.