Author: Subject: For Pam,grover,other newbies,Anon and Others
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 12:20 PM
For Pam,grover,other newbies,Anon and Others

It is time to tell this Story one more time

RESPECT!

1976:

On getting my new Panga from la Paz is started puttin it in at the Beach in front of Tio"s Place. That was where we threee Americanos at that time and the Pangeros would depart each morning with the Customers from the Hotel Oasis.

It was a good bunch of Fisherman Americano: Tio,Ben Benner, Jack Foster and Fred Shields.
Pangaeros: Aleijo, Alvaro. Ordon, Jesus,Poncho, Torres,

After a good ay of fishing we would all return and hang over the edge of the boats telling fish stories and during that time the use of the word "Gringo" and "P-nche Gringo" would be used often
After a time I became offended so in my new learned Spanish I made a deal with all those Mexicanos.
"I agreed not to call them "Greasers" if they would not call me a "Gringo""
That deal has been kept since then and still by some of their Grandchildren who have corrected other people in our presense who did not know me..

Their is a word that is used with a gesture which tells all about a person and his Respect or Disrespect that word is " Meteche" I am not sure about the spelling but when you use the word you put your fingers to your lips appear a ForkedTongue.

The Mexicano People mean a lot to me as well as the Americano People.I am disappointed by what has happened to the Younsters of both countries. From the young girls in Loreto going to Short Shorts and extremely tight pants to those in the States and their extreme Nudity.
"
Each country has its good and Bad!
Be respectfull,be Kind , and take care of the Children. Skeet/Loreto

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 12:40 PM
If you're refering to the word "gringo"

Please do not be offended. "Gringo" is only a WORD. I used the word in posts of past only to differentiate between us and them when making a point. I have a Monty Python-esque sense of humor (dry), and I am also very blunt in my wording (being an east coaster) when I'm speaking the language of Shakespeare.

In the Spanish language the use of what we as English speakers would call "foul language" does not really exist. Yes there is a proper way to speak Spanish and your education level and upbringing will shine through and there are common ways to express ones self, but Mexican Spanish speakers are not offended easily by words that are used for what they are- words, descriptions. In my learning the language I was shocked by the use of what I would call bad words, and was surprised to hear from what mouths they were emitted. I have sinced learned.

Your offense at the word "gringo" then, and now shows the fact that you do not speak and or understand the Spanish language. There is nothing wrong with that, but the finger shaking towards others when this is your basis of expertise is really an insult to my intelligence for one.

C'mon Skeeter we're all on "Baja time" here can't we just all get along?

Spanish- learn it, use it, see Baja California with new eyes!

Think BAJA!

Fly fishin' Pam
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 12:42 PM
ONe more thing then I must get back to work!

RESPECT!

actions speak louder than words

{some bible quote I remember}

Fly fishin' Pam

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.