BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip Report Part 1, Bakersfield, La Fonda and the Pyramid Resort
Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 06:30 PM
Trip Report Part 1, Bakersfield, La Fonda and the Pyramid Resort

Trip Report Part 1, Bakersfield, La Fonda and the Pyramid Resort

Left after work December 17 drove as far as Bakersfield loaded to the gills and prepared for anything. We were two miles down the road, had just quieted the kids after settling a half a dozen arguments, when we realized that we forgot our twin folding chairs from Costco. It was already 6:30 pm and I was in no mood to turn around?a decision I regretted throughout the trip! But an even more important oversight was to be discovered a couple of days later. We left Bakersfield the next morning by 7:00 am still disturbed by the pile of chicken strips and greasy fish from Jack-in-the-Box the night before but with hopes of missing rush hour traffic in LA. An accident south of Burbank put us in a 20 mile crawl and we never seemed to recover. Somehow we ended up on 805 and were forced to gas up before discovering Costco. We actually got directions from a nice fellow at the 76 station off 805 and returned his favor with a tightly packed tin of fudge. He thanked us explaining that he hadn?t eaten homemade fudge since his mother passed away a few years back. It turns out we were only about a mile from Costco. After changing to pesos and loading up on groceries we hit the border about 2:30 pm. Even though we were in the right lane chaos prevented me from pulling over in time for the tourist papers and decided to get papers in Guerrero Negro the next day, another decision I later regretted. I fishtailed my way through the various turnoffs to the scenic highway which isn?t very scenic for the first few miles as we traveled through run-down neighborhoods and an endless array of smoldering fires and strange odors?an abrupt reminder to all that we entered a developing country.

Nothing seemed to go right driving that day, and it wasn?t getting any better. By the time I remembered to look for the detour to La Mision, it came up and I passed it. About a quarter mile down the road we were diverted to the other side of the highway and the transition included about a 6? drop-off which I hit going a bit too fast drawing a fair amount of criticism. About 20 minutes later we were finally able to cross under the highway and head back. It must have been 3:30/4:00 before we arrived at the Pyramid Resort at Plaza Del Mar. And boy did things change for the better. It was a picture perfect day, not a cloud in the sky and weather in the low 70?s. We were warmly greeted by Keri?s husband Mike, their housekeeper, and the dull roar of the incoming tide. Mike quickly got us set up in our room, told us Keri would be back later and that we must come up to say hi. For those who haven?t seen this place, it is gorgeous. Mexican tiled steps lead down to a two-story white stucco building with rooms that more closely resemble condominiums than hotel rooms. The balconies are spitting distance to crashing waves with a beautiful patio directly underneath with lounge chairs and a small Jacuzzi. The rooms were huge with a fully equipped kitchen complete with a large tiled eating bar, a living room with a fireplace leading out to the balcony, a good size bathroom, and a large separate bedroom. We could have easily stayed a week and couldn?t wait to come back and spend more time.

We took advantage of the early bird dinner at La Fonda just down the hill from the hotel and were treated to the best Mexican food we had the entire trip. I had earlier read some posts about problems with the waiters, but we found them to be excellent. They took special interest in the kids which we always appreciate and were always around and quick to respond to our cerveza and margarita requests?my wife claims the margaritas there were also the best tasting of the trip. After noticing our five-year-old boy was not making much progress on his rice and beans the waiter made him a deal that if he ate at least half he would take him out to see the rooster and turkey. Jack tried with little success, but was treated along with his sister to a tour of the restaurant and a trip to see the birds. You would think with such great service we were the only ones in the place but by the time we left there wasn?t a table to be had inside.

It must have been 8:00 pm by the time we arrived back at Keri and Mike?s feeling tired from the road and weighed down by the drive, a great dinner and a good amount of drinks and dreading the drive the next day to San Ignacio. The room was so inviting, but yet we had not even saw Keri yet. We agreed to say hi to Keri and only stay a few minutes. Keri greeted us all with a great big hug, immediately set up a Nemo video for the kids, put drinks in front of us, and proceeded to give us the low down on Baja. We really didn?t want to leave, but because Keri arrived back late, these people had still not eaten dinner! Two and a half hours later we returned to our room fully invigorated and excited about the next day after a great visit with two of the nicest and most knowledgeable people you could ever meet in Baja. That night we all slept more soundly than we could remember with the driving hassles of the day vanishing among the sound of crashing waves reverberating throughout the entire room. I can honestly say we were sad to leave, but have vowed to make La Fonda and the Pyramid Resort a must stop on all future travels down the Peninsula.

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 07:21 PM
Nice report, travel tip!

From Bakersfield take 58 east through Tehachapi and Mojave to 395 south to I 15. Possibly 30 miles further but a much more relaxing drive.

[Edited on 1-12-2004 by Tucker]

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 07:42 PM

As my wife and I were born 'n' raised in Bkrsfld, I might as well get these out of the way:
1. I once spent a week in Bakersfield one night.......
2. At 6:00pm they would roll up the sidewalks if they had any.
3. The Chief of Police is refured to as "Don".
4. In every other town you can get a better meal if you just drive a couple of blocks from the freeway.
5. Q: "Geeze, does the whole city look as bad as it does from the freeway?" A: "Yes"
Yadda, yadda, yadda..... :biggrin:
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 07:45 PM

What are the first three words a kid born in Oklahoma learns?

Mommy, Daddy and Bakersfield!

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 07:23 AM

joe got rid of the union run help and has hired all none union for the better. i sat down with him last saterday and chatted with him about his restaurant and he seemed very happy now, great waiters and the prime rib was awesome. i recommend this place to anyone and the sunday brunch is outstanding.:coolup:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 08:20 AM

Thanks Family Guy... Great reading of your 'adventure'.

Aren't Keri and Mike great hosts? I have already a room reserved for the May 1 Book signing fiesta #2.

See http://davidksbaja.com/503 for pics from #1 at the Pyramid.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 11:20 AM

Hey no bashing Bakersfield, besides driving down Union ave is just like any town in Baja. Also the Crystal Palace is open for late night entertainment with Buck Owen's and the gang. Good food too.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 12:13 PM
Buck and Baja

Last January I visited my my sis in Bakersfield, had my muffler fixed on Union Ave, was going to see Buck, but called for reservations, but he was sick and couldn't perform that night.

Half my family settled in Bakersfield and the other half drove through, coming from OK, going north to where the streets were paved with gold.

The caption on this photo from the library of congress, dated 1937, states that 28 of this type vehicle were passed between Bakersfield and Famosa.

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 03:58 PM

Do they still have those drag races at Famosa?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 10:50 AM

Yes they do, Famosa is alive and doing good.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.