BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: When is this year's Semana Santa?
Bob H
Elite Nomad

question.gif posted on 1-12-2004 at 10:58 AM
When is this year's Semana Santa?

I want to spend a couple of weeks camping in Mulege this April. But, I would rather avoid the crowded campgrounds during Semana Santa time. Please tell me when it starts, when it ends, and if Mulege is exempt from the crowds during this time.
Gracias, Bob H :(

[Edited on 1-12-2004 by Bob H]
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 11:34 AM
40 days after ash Wednesday

Easter falls on April 11 this year,so I think Semana Santa would be the week before starting with Palm Sunday...could be crowded on any beach in Mexico that week...good luck:saint:

I hear the whales song
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 01:07 PM

Oh great! We leave our casa in Todos on the 31st of March. OK you guys (gals) where would you go park your Westy for the week of semana santa?? We have the month of April to "explore". Beach, maybe some shore fishing...like company but not crowds!! Suggestions??
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 01:25 PM

Bajagrouper, that would be good news for us, we start on Saturday, April 10th, right near the end of it all. Should be in Mulege by Monday, April 12th and spend about 10 days there. Will drop our cabover camper and use our 4x4 to go exploring.
Thank you very much for the information.
Bob H :tumble::bounce::tumble:

[Edited on 1-12-2004 by Bob H]
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

sad.gif posted on 1-12-2004 at 05:50 PM
Sorry, guys, Semana Santa is not just one week.....

The Semana Santa school break (go to any school and ask for the SEP calendar), is what dictates how many days the beaches will be packed with revelers. Add the weekends on and it can add up to three weeks some years easily. - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

rolleyes.gif posted on 1-12-2004 at 09:58 PM
Spring Break

This year we are really lucky. Many Universities are starting the break on the 19th of March for 10-14 days. High Schools and Elementary schools look like many are breaking from 1 april to 18 April. Ya gotta luv it.

:o:o:o:o

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 10:22 PM
Oh yeah. I forgot about spring break.

:O..... Enjoy....

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 12:02 AM
Semana Santa

Bob, the Mulege/Concepcion Bay beaches will have a lot of Mexican people camping for that vacation. With your attitude, you will love being with them. Stay away from the tourist traps that the "Spring Breakers" go to like BOLA , San Felipe, Rosarito, and Cabo.
You will never meet a more honest and caring bunch! This is Mexico after all.

It's time for a return to Addams Family values!
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 12:25 AM
I agree that it's a warm crowd & lots of families.

But let's not sugarcoat quite too much. A significant amount of people will be staying up half the night raising Hell at both Semana Santa gatherings and Spring Break (more at spring break, of course). But the Semana Santa crowd will, with little competition from spring breakers, leave loads of trash you won't believe floating and sunken in the water and all over the beach. The absolutely worst time to camp is right after they leave, when the beaches are just left uglier than sin. - Stephanie

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 12:34 AM
Stephanie

You paint a lovely picture. How many times have you been there ?

It's time for a return to Addams Family values!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 08:55 AM

We always avoid the gringo "spring breakers" whenever possible. We plan to drop the camper in Mulege, hopefully in the camp ground near the river, and explore the surrounding off road areas. I wouldn't mind mingling with the locals while they celebrate Easter. But, I think the big crowds will be prior to April 11th.
I appreciate all this great info though. One can never have enough info. I need a fish taco! Bob H :lol::lol::lol:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 09:28 AM
school Semana Santa dates:

April 3 - 18

as listed on our school calendar.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.