Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip report for Gonzaga Bay
Pete69
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 10:25 AM
Trip report for Gonzaga Bay

Feb 22 thru 25 at our house in Punta Final. Thursday was perfect, wind blew from Friday thru Saturday night, and of course Sunday was beautiful, we were leaving, never fails. Temps were cool during the day but if your found a protected spot, it was nice and warm. Very cold at night for Punta, surpising. Flew down out of San Diego Thursay morning, flight time 1 hr. 50 minutes, couldn't get there fast enough. Couldn't fish because of the wind, but a good time was had anyway. Dinner at Alphonsina's Friday night, the Shrimp was great, very fresh, Shrimper's were in the bay. Tried to catch up on the lastest news about the area, but there wasn't any. No new news.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 12:05 PM

who is running the restaurant nowadays at alfi's?

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Pete69
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 11:02 AM

Antonio is still the man, we saw him Friday I think, lost track of my days, that's a good thing. They have added a new cook, Adella, she is from Punta Final, and her husband Trini is now working the Pemex across from Rancho Grande. Trini and Adella previously worked for Kevin the new owner at Punta, but were not happy as the story was told. They are both great people, and I wish them nothing but the best.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 11:04 AM

Antonio and new esposa Marta, who cooked up great Garlic Shrimp for us at Alfonsina's last November!

1106 239r.JPG - 27kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pete69
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 11:07 AM

That's right David, we had a huge family shrimp plate, it was the best. Food has always been good there.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 11:08 AM

Don't you know it Pete!

My mouth waters...

1106 233r.JPG - 38kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 11:28 AM

PETE69,

Is there diesel at the Pemex at Rancho Grande?

Also, is it possible to take on non-potable, but decent for washing water, in the area? Maybe 30 gallons? Would like to avoid going in real heavy.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 10:18 PM

Marta is not too happy with Antonio today. We arrived there on the 25th and left today. Antonio gave us a "deal" for two nights, and when we went to pay today and explained it to Marta, she looked like Antonio was going to hear about it.

Sure your "ride" home was a lot smoother than ours. Love that place. Oh Fish Tacos were also great.

Diane

Pete69
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2007 at 08:29 AM

Hook, there is no diesel at the Pemex that I know of, however we have bought it many times across the road at Rancho Grande. Also, Rancho Grande has a large desalinization unit on site, and they will sell excellent drinking water to you. Bottled is also sold inside the store, ice as well. For non potable water, there is a well out near Coco's called Las Arastas, but I don't know who is in charge of that now. You might ask Coco as you're coming in. Our retirees living in Punta Final used to buy their water at Las Arastas for years, but the deal recently fell apart for some reason. Water is now sold in Punta from a new well, but it is way too salty. Around seven dollars or so for a 55 gallon drum.

Hope this helps.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2007 at 10:42 AM

I think Punta Final folks also would get water from Las Palmitas... You can make out a direct road between the two places on the sat. maps.

I am hiking above the Las Palmitas oasis in this photo... Gonzaga Bay is in the background. It is south of Arroyo Santa Maria, against the mountains... On the Camino Real.

TimsBaja.com has more photos under "Las Palmytas" (the local sign spelling).

[Edited on 2-28-2007 by David K]

Pete69
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2007 at 05:56 PM

David, you could be right. I've been there 5 or 6 times for a desert cruise during the winter. No one I know in Punta goes and gets there own water,
although that doesn't mean someone doesn't go there to get their own.
The older retiree's need it brought to them. As I said, the water was being brought in from Las Arastas, but no more. Whoever owns that well is not happy with someone in Punta, and according to the story I've been told in camp, and will not sell water to Punta residents. This has been very recent. There's more to that story that I have been told, but I don't want to repeat stories, this is just the basics of what we were told. How accurate this all is, I don't know.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 2-28-2007 at 07:41 PM

Alfi's non potable comes from a well between the Rancho Grande airstrips and the highway.

Funny story about Me, Antonio, and shrimp. One time Antonio asked me to run him out to the shrimp boat parked in the bay on Doug Bowels panga. We get out there and make a couple of passes on the side closest to the shore and don't see anyone, so we head around to the other side. As we round the corner I notice a guy with a rope around his waist sitting on the rail on the side of the boat. Looking real close I see the guys bare arse which his brown skin had kind of blended in with the rust color of the boat. His reason for doing this soon became apparent as out pooped his reward. Spelling intended. What could Antonio and I do but look at each other and laugh. :biggrin:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 03:25 AM

A couple of weeks ago I was north of 'gonzaga about 10 or 15 miles and on a side trail or road to the east of the main road there was a new 10 inch well. It looked like it was put in in the last couple of months. Anyone know anything about it.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 3-1-2007 at 10:17 AM
Mexican White Shrimp

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Alfi's non potable comes from a well between the Rancho Grande airstrips and the highway.

Funny story about Me, Antonio, and shrimp. One time Antonio asked me to run him out to the shrimp boat parked in the bay on Doug Bowels panga. We get out there and make a couple of passes on the side closest to the shore and don't see anyone, so we head around to the other side. As we round the corner I notice a guy with a rope around his waist sitting on the rail on the side of the boat. Looking real close I see the guys bare arse which his brown skin had kind of blended in with the rust color of the boat. His reason for doing this soon became apparent as out pooped his reward. Spelling intended. What could Antonio and I do but look at each other and laugh. :biggrin:

So that's why the Mexican White Shrimp are so tastee!:moon::o:o:o:moon:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.