Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: 30 +/- years ago
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 09:00 AM

You really put your scanner to work, didn't you, David. It probably took half a day to post all the superb photos. Great loking mom, David. I too started out in the same 78 Subaru Wagon, but mine was sorta rust colored.

Love the old phots!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 02:23 PM

David you are lucky to have experiencer Baja California with your Dad, My dad is not to fun of this long travels along the desert, but still he likes to go to Guadalupe Canyon, thanks for sharing your Baja California Past with us..

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 07:56 PM

De nada guys... These photos were posted in March of 2007, so it was cool they got bumped up for more to enjoy!

There is a lot of great posts on Nomad since 2002!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-26-2009 at 07:20 AM

Thank for sharing, wish I had been smart enough to take more pictures.. always had the camera, but some how just did not take enough pictures... EVER!!.. as I'm finding here on Baja Nomads

Your Dad and Mom did a good job... and again thanks for all the pictures just great
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2009 at 09:16 AM

Thank you for saying so wesson... I always come back wishing I took more photos... well, with the new digital camera, maybe I take enough now!?

I am very lucky to have the parents I did... they inspired me to write and map our trips when I showed an interst in doing that, before I was 16 and started going on my own.

Fishing was the original purpose of buying the Wagoneer and going to Baja back in 1965... The place was so enchanting to us, we couldn't get enough! Any excuse to go, any 3 or more day vacation... and we were off to Baja. It was great to see the place BEFORE the pavement came, too.

Here's a couple more, I don't think I posted above...

Age 8, south of El Rosario... on our way to the tip in 1966 by Jeep Wagoneer.

My mom in our broken Jeep (wouldn't start, tide coming in)... we went to investigate the newly washed up Shrimp boat following the 1967 chubasco that wrecked San Felipe... This is the back bay/ lagoon that seperates Shell Island from Bahia Santa Maria (as it would be called later). I walked to get help from the Lemke family who were camping just south of Nuevo Mazatlan (where it is today's El Sahuaro). The problem was 'gear-lock', which was solved by rocking the Jeep back and forth.

Getting stuck makes for better stories... always remember that! :light::lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2009 at 03:06 PM

David.... fantastic image of your Mom... 'stuck" WOW! What a history you have of Baja!
Bob H
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-28-2009 at 06:31 AM
repairs

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thank you for saying so wesson... I always come back wishing I took more photos... well, with the new digital camera, maybe I take enough now!?

I am very lucky to have the parents I did... they inspired me to write and map our trips when I showed an interst in doing that, before I was 16 and started going on my own.

Fishing was the original purpose of buying the Wagoneer and going to Baja back in 1965... The place was so enchanting to us, we couldn't get enough! Any excuse to go, any 3 or more day vacation... and we were off to Baja. It was great to see the place BEFORE the pavement came, too.

Here's a couple more, I don't think I posted above...

Age 8, south of El Rosario... on our way to the tip in 1966 by Jeep Wagoneer.

My mom in our broken Jeep (wouldn't start, tide coming in)... we went to investigate the newly washed up Shrimp boat following the 1967 chubasco that wrecked San Felipe... This is the back bay/ lagoon that seperates Shell Island from Bahia Santa Maria (as it would be called later). I walked to get help from the Lemke family who were camping just south of Nuevo Mazatlan (where it is today's El Sahuaro). The problem was 'gear-lock', which was solved by rocking the Jeep back and forth.

Getting stuck makes for better stories... always remember that! :light::lol:

Remember a trip in 1956, a friend of the family had a "new" 56 Nomad station wagon, yeah.. Just thought of it... he would not slow down on the road (it was not paved), we were South of San Vicente, my Dad kept telling him to go slower... but no.. Finally he hit a rock and punched a hole in the oil pan. We were trying to tow him, but it was proving most difficult. My Dad was driving a 1951 Pontiac Station wagon..After a couple of days some guys came by in an old Army 4 x 4 and they towed us down to the next village.. Where by some magic, some old guy there was able to put a "patch” on the oil pan, and between my Dad's backup oil and what they could find from draining a few quarts for some old wrecks we were back on our way south, albeit much slower from then on.. Was an art traveling down in the Baja in the 50's and 60's you had to come prepared, and with the mind set, hell I'm just stay here till someone shows up... we don't have surf or the beach, but we had food, water, beer, tent and some cards for a few games of "nosy poker" :lol::lol:

Thanks Dave, you bring back a lot of what I was able to get from my Dad along time ago...

Sad about your Dad passing so soon, but like you I have some GREAT memories that my Dad gave me of Mexico too. The picture in 1967 is four years before he died, young at 54

Also, Dave.. Been wanting to ask.. What kind of Camera are you shooting with now.. Been thinking of getting a new camera.. I only have a Sony point and shoot, have just added in a large SD card.. But starting to see such great photo work here by soooooooo many folks I've gotten bitten by the upgrade bug

[Edited on 9-28-2009 by wessongroup]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2009 at 07:35 AM

It is a Canon 'Power Shot SD1100 IS' (8.0 Megapixels) about $200 at the local camera and telesope shop.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2022 at 09:15 AM

How quickly '30 years ago' has turned into 45 years ago!!!!

How many more years will Baja be in my memory?

Freaky how quickly time passes by the older one gets!

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2022 at 10:20 AM

Awesome pictures and stories.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2022 at 01:37 PM

Didn't you get hassled like everyone else for your long hair @ the border or while in country in the 70's ??

Es Todo Bueno
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2022 at 03:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Didn't you get hassled like everyone else for your long hair @ the border or while in country in the 70's ??

Not at all. Maybe because my hair was shorter than the typical 'hippies' who were hassled by local police, given hair cuts, and followed that with a lecture on masculinity! :lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2022 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

On the new Baja Highway in the Chapala Valley! July 1973

In 2019, nearly the same place:

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2022 at 03:37 PM

While I have been going to Baja since '73, and most of that time with my freak flag flowing which has been gray for a couple of decades now, I never felt targeted.

Showing respect at all times is always helpful and highly recommended nom matter what length of hair one has. It is only hair.

Attitude goes a long way in many situations.

They saw so many surfers and still do that judging them on length of hair is no longer a factor. I can dream that it is. haha

I use to hide my freak flag in my hat just in case, but no longer bother to do even that.

I think the authorities have seen enough of their fellow countrymen with long hair that hopefully they don't judge.

The handout is always a concern, but some here have suggested ways to impress upon them that this would not be a wise move with all the social media publicizing every attempt to extract some payment.

Showing respect will take you a long way with avoiding a situation that could become costly. Maybe I have been lucky, but I will take it for whatever it is worth. Peace and love. Thank you Ringo. haha

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.