Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip Report
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2004 at 04:15 PM
Trip Report

Hola all, I'm almost in La Paz. Herb and I made it to San Javier without incident only to find that Francisca was out of town. So, in my fluent Spanish, I learned of the Holiday Inn in Poza Grande. We had been driving for 2 days and camping so I thought a night in a nice hotel would be a real treat.
Well, come to find out all the rooms were already booked but, they said there was a good spot just down the road so we headed off. It was a really nice spot except for the fact that Herbs car and some of the donations were underwater when we woke up in the morning. Extreme high tides but not a problem. Herb has 4WD and spends plenty of time using it !! So we get dried out and meet the people who are generally nice in spite of the fact they probably want to rob and kill us like the last Gringos who's gravestones they stopped us from taking pictures of. But they did let us live and told us of the new Outback Steakhouse in La Florida. Now that sounds like a safe place to get some Real food. None of this junk those darn Mexicans eat.
So we head south, and east, and north and then back south only to find that they were closed on Mondays. Darn, what bad luck!
Well, since we have now struck out on the hotel and the Prime Rib, we have no choice but to continue our search. This is when our luck changed.
One of my projects was to get another confluence point for www.confluence.org. Well, it just so happened that at the confluence of 112.00 N and 25.00W there is a new Ramada Inn with a Red Lobster Restaurant that imports only the finest of dead Maine lobster. What a feast we had. And it only cost about $90.00 for the two of us plus a spare tire for some stranded fishermen. Typical Baja but we did get out alive.
We then headed up to the mountains for some local tamales and enchiladas. Unfortunately, Bandidos had come through the village and burned the restaurant to the ground the day before.
Fortunately for us, we were lounging in the Ramada Inn rather than having to fight off the bandidos in the mountains.
We did manage to get some local made cheese and I see that Herb made it home OK so that was good.
I should be out of the hospital in a couple days, (severe Tomaine poisoning) from the cheese so I can make it the rest of the way to La Paz where I can be around people as white as me.:lol:
Hasta luego chicken coopers.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2004 at 04:33 PM

J.R. - Don't know what you're actually up to out there ;) but if you can, contact me.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 1-28-2004 at 07:51 PM
Souvenirs

Who is spoofing who? Stock up on those arrowheads and ancient indian artifacts for all of us in the US.

:spingrin::spingrin::tumble::tumble:

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2004 at 10:35 PM

Grover, what has happened to that reallyh nutty avatar?

bajalera
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2004 at 07:40 AM
Not so far away

If any of you ofisshyonadas have been to Puerto Pe?asco, you would realize that the Poza Grande Holiday Inn isn't so far fetched.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2004 at 06:03 PM

Jr. Hasn't this ole man told you about the use of excessive booze and Tacos from and untried place. Serves you right!
Let me know if someone needs to come get you. I will be on call until I hear from you!!
Please have an ostionine Taco at the "Albatross" Stand on Jalisco near the CCC.
If you do that please let me Know if the large dried "Bull Balls' are still hanging on the back wall! Skeet/Loreto

"There are very few Personal Problems that cannot be solved through a Suitable Appliciation of High Explosives"
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2004 at 12:41 PM
La Poza Grande Holliday Inn is real! nay sayers pls. read....

Here's a view of one of the beachfront bungalos:

And for those concerned about affordable housing for the locals, no need to worry, they too have been included:

PS - Capt Mike - This is not at all intended as a personal attack! I'm just someone with an even more twisted and satirical sense of humor than the starter of the thread. I've got no beef with you and an immense respect for you and what you do to "give back" to the peninsula and its people. I just couldn't resist the tie-in to how this thread began!
:light::lol::biggrin:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-30-2004 at 02:00 PM
ok Herb.... i finally got it, had to read your

header to "connect" the dots. Ha! that was a good one. from a long obscure post from me, assumed all forgot that one!

no offense taken believe me, i take nothing for serious on this board! far too many eco kooks and liberal idealists afraid to fend for themselves without the govment's help and/or control here lurking and posting . Nothing against ADMIN either - he's only trying to provide a service, who'd a thunk the old "Amigos" would morph into this crowd.

for REAL baja info and entertainment i turn to www.baja.net (shameless plug here), the people there tend to be a community of real thinkers/adventurers and i prefer the editorial mix.

say, one of my favorite pieces from Zappa's classical works is "mo and herb's vacation" from the london symph LP's. i have named your trip after that work, which i will play now, TYVM!

now, contunue and sally forth, spewing forth fun, mirth and merriment as you report back your intrepid travels and mis adventures with JR! BTW - it that our "JR", aka Ski baja??:tumble:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-30-2004 at 07:28 PM

Mike, do you not have a problem with the personal assasination, name calling, and lies on thaaat board?

If anyone attacked you on this board (the way I have been there), they would get hell from me and (I think) your other amigos, here.

I just have a crazy idea that friends help friends, and don't allow shameless attacks on character to go unopposed. Other amigos have also been harassed there, not just me.

Also, bringing my children into their hate for me was just soooo low. Others told me, as I will not go there.

I am aware several amigos post there, such as yourself. That's fine with me, as that's your business (like politics)... But, plugging them here is uncool (IMO). Do you think I would be allowed to plug Baja Nomad there?:?:

No need to reply.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2004 at 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
now, contunue and sally forth, spewing forth fun, mirth and merriment as you report back your intrepid travels and mis adventures with JR! BTW - it that our "JR", aka Ski baja??:tumble:

:yes::yes:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2004 at 07:36 AM
Sorry DK - didn't mean to get your dander

up over that. You might try being less serious over it all. Think of it as a fraternity prank, and forget it, move on.

I've been razzed there as well as here (i.e. the "casper" handle), do I take any of it seriously? Hell no - its only cyberspace fer krissakes! The more ya whine about it the more they'll rib you! PLAYGROUND 101...chapter 1.

My comments were only intended to exclaim a preference for the personality types, GENERALLY Speaking, that I find involved at one venue vs. another, I loved the old Amigos crowd but do not feel the same affinity with the several new types that proliferate here, just due to my idealistic differences. You yourself expound conservative ideals frequently, doesn't the left leaning drabble incite you from time to time?
Many here I share an affinity for, but I frequent the discussions less and less, certainly without obsession, because I frankly find some of it to be slightly boring in overall content. My loss I guess, doesn't have to be yours....hope you have a good trip at the Matomi reunion! I'll probably check in post that event and read all about it.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 1-31-2004 at 05:59 PM

Mike started that thread Grover. You should be ticked off at him and slander and slash him every chance you get. Not, because you have a sence of humor and don't feel the need to defend yourself against things done in jest.

David K, you are not even mentioned at the other board any more. Lets keep it that way. We agree to disagree and leave it at that. Have fun in baja, all the rest of this is just killing time.

Captn. Mike, AKA Casper no more. Yeah, he is a fun guy to hang out with but he would be better if he got his plane back. What is up. Great comments by the way!:fire:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2004 at 05:53 AM
it / me will be flying the friendly Baja skies

again beginning next friday the 13th (helluva day to test hop a plane that's been in the shop 2 months) on a Samaritano clinic trip to Puerto Adolfo Lopez Mateo where the Phx chapter of the Sams just completed a 2 year oddessy of construction - the pilotos donated all their time and hand built the new clinic for the town, we're obviously proud as peac-cks for what we did. pics at www.flyingsamaritans.com

Yeah, i am a smart arse at times...give a little advice time to time, insert foot a lot blah blah...but generally have too mucking futch fun! and if you get to know me you'll understand one thing - sense of humor is necessary, or don't bother to hang. Grover - we should quaff some beers sometime, i don't bite as much as i tend to bark!;D

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2004 at 12:52 PM
Cluck Cluck Cluck

If this isnt a bunch of hens, I dont know what is. You cluckers have turned my 100% accurate trip report into the usual henhouse cackle, as usual.
Oh well, Im killin time in Los Barriles anyway. Waiting to find out the truth about a certain M.Overcast as a matter of fact. Now thats cackle. And David, "stifle Edith" as Archie Bunker used to say.:lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.