BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: There goes the neighborhood....
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 07:50 AM

I should probably clarify, the main reason for my post was because I was (and am) concerned that a book like this can (and will) introduce the "young-bratty-little-surf-rat-punks" to surfing in Baja. They will come down in their daddy's giant SUV, and trash the places we love. They will not have the same respect we have for Baja that we got from the individual(s) who personally introduced us to the magic that Baja is.

And yes, I was also somewhat concerned about more and more people going to Baja. We all know of the tremendous development pressures in Baja (heck, even Southern California, for that matter) and have seen once beautiful places paved over for housing, hotels and the like. That is always hard to take, no matter where it is. I personally have not been back to La Bufadora since they started building around it. I'll keep the undeveloped memories, thanks.

P.S. I am not a surfer myself; I like going to Baja beaches for fishing, kayaking and relaxing.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 07:58 AM

Brooks, remember... like sh*t... "progress happens"!

Paving and grading roads makes getting there faster and easier, but takes away the charm of the trip itself...

Rent 'Cars', a great movie that addresses what the Interstate did to Route 66 in the 60's and 70's... The artist behind the charaters in 'Cars' is Dave Deal... a former Baja 1000 racer and off road/ Baja cartoonist.

The Baja Highway took away the charm of traveling from ranch to ranch and pulling over when a rare vehicle approached for the other direction (because the main Baja road was a single track Jeep road between El Rosario and San Ignacio before 1973!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 08:14 AM
Its still there!

I believe in our lifetimes, we will always be able to find uncrowded surf in Baja.

It's just a matter of how much offroad you will have to enjoy while getting to it..

Buen dicho Gadget!

DSCN1205.JPG - 36kB
A-OK
Nomad

Mood: faded

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 03:13 AM

I'll drink to that......

Great picture there Tomas
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:
Originally posted by pargo
Porque?...am i missing the point?:?:

Everybody will now know about OUR "secret" beaches.

I've been going to your? secret beaches since the mid 60's.
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 02:41 PM

Oh yea?!?!?!
I'VE been going to YOUR? secret beaches since the mid 50's!!!
So there!
:tumble:
:biggrin:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
I should probably clarify, the main reason for my post was because I was (and am) concerned that a book like this can (and will) introduce the "young-bratty-little-surf-rat-punks" to surfing in Baja. They will come down in their daddy's giant SUV, and trash the places we love. They will not have the same respect we have for Baja that we got from the individual(s) who personally introduced us to the magic that Baja is.

P.S. I am not a surfer myself; I like going to Baja beaches for fishing, kayaking and relaxing.

The above comes across as territorial but intent doesn't.

As far as rat-punks polluting the lineup, I think the lineup has a way of sorting itself out. I don't see punks or crowds ever screwing up Las Pastora. Or San Pedrito.

If you live near these places, even Zippers and Old Man's (Aquapulquito), there are always be plenty of waves -- and the vacationer's will eventually leave. And when there seems to be more people out, it'll seem like I always get the waves I paddle for, anyway. Give a wave, get a wave?

Even with good Baja waves, Baja isn't for everyone. Live aloha, surf aloha.

:cool:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
As a sidenote, I respect locals but when the local "intimidation" 'tude kicks in, well, I have nothing but disdain for that chiite and don't really deal well w/it.

This must apply to CA/HI. I'd be surprised to read Baja local's have 'tude.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
As a sidenote, I respect locals but when the local "intimidation" 'tude kicks in, well, I have nothing but disdain for that chiite and don't really deal well w/it.

This must apply to CA/HI. I'd be surprised to read Baja local's have 'tude.

I went on a research trip to Isla Natividad in the 80's, brought my board along, and the goofs from the surfcamp there were trying to snake waves from me...only 6 guys out and surf all over the place! Of course, none of these guys were Baja locals, but when places become popular... ...that's the kind of thing Taco DB was writing about.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 07:03 PM

Quote:

I'd be surprised to read Baja local's have 'tude.

:lol::light:

ever paddle out at zippers or shipwrecks? the littlest rat has the biggest mouth, only to be backed up by the rest of the "burrito:light:". just like it is in the U.S.

if you can't surf, don't start!!!!:?:

now if you're talking EVERYWHERE ELSE? the only locals are the guys who are there when you show up...deal with it or don't show up! :P

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Quote:

I'd be surprised to read Baja local's have 'tude.

:lol::light:

ever paddle out at zippers or shipwrecks? the littlest rat has the biggest mouth, only to be backed up by the rest of the "burrito:light:". just like it is in the U.S.

:P

Are you writing about Mex/Gringo ''locals'' at these places -- or gringo rats from San Diego and L.A.? The big mouths from El Norte just need to be spanked. Yes I've been to these places and have had no problems. Never experienced localism anywhere but don't paddle out other than San 'O or BCS -- got stink-eye from a haole at Honolua Bay once, and thought, gee, stink-eye from a freaking haole.

I'm amazed at the aggression in the water -- esp. in SoCal. Mostly young rats.

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 05:23 PM

I have a Son, He's now 25 years old and a member of the CDF Helitack wildland firefighters crew stationed out of Gelispe Field in El Cajon. He grew up surfing Baja with me and OB / Sunset Cliffs where we live. He is one of the best surfers in these parts, as I am continually told. He's a big lanky guy with arms like an Albatros and paddles a potato chip thick surfboard like he has a darn outboard behind it. I taught him one thing about the line up, which I always demanded but didn't always practice myself. Respect for your elders, no matter what their ability. I have folks come up to me regularly to tell me what fun they had in the water the other day watching my kid rip and what a contagiously positive attitude he has in the water. Some kids learn to be jerks cause their dads are, some cause they are, and some learn to be respectful in spite of everything. :bounce:

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.