Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: caution in Camalu
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2004 at 06:55 PM
caution in Camalu

news of a terrble robbery/beating and worse in Camalu was recently brought to my attention.Apparently a Colorado man, who spends winters in baja, was robbed and brutally beaten and left for dead, while sleeping at the beach in Camalu.He was found by some other campers, barely alive.he was able to give a description of his two assailants whom have been arrested in the past for similar offenses.

they took his truck and everything else.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2004 at 08:23 AM

one day the'll come upon the people like me and you and the'll regret what the've done to other campers. hows it going pappy? leaving soon for the bay(feb. 24) so if your around stop by for a few coldies.:spingrin::coolup:
Enormo

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 01:50 PM

I've never felt comfortable from the Camalu area on down to San Quintin. It has a record of having "problems." Camping alone at the beach in that area isn't an option for me.

Also defending yourself is practically off limits. You cant even have a knife with you. I've had knifes taken away at checkpoints. They've said that a folding knife with a blade longer than 3 fingers :rolleyes: (is that a metric three fingers or a u.s. standard three fingers?) is illegal. It basically comes down to the 17 year old soldier saying, "That is a nice knife. I think I will take it."

If you bring a knife down make sure you can afford to "lose" it.

[Edited on 2-8-2004 by Enormo]
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 05:59 PM

yep- they've even confiscated a leatherman's utility tool/knife.opened it and laid the blade across palm of his hand-too long they said.-Hah!
Enormo

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 06:48 PM

:lol: Had one of those taken away too. Next time (if I feel like tempting fate) I'll break off the knife blade, hand the blade over to them and ask, "Okay?"

However my rule now is, "If it isn't insured and I can't aford to 'lose' it, leave it at home."
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2004 at 07:08 PM

they'll probably hand the blade back to you and keep the rest of the knife/tool!!!:lol:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2004 at 12:43 PM
Question!

Are the Soldiers now making Travelers Strip for Search?
How do they know that you have a Knife in possession?

Skeet/Loreto
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

lol.gif posted on 2-16-2004 at 01:16 AM
You're a riot, Grover.

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 03:18 PM

caliente and frio- that would be funny but I'm afraid it may cost ya a whole lot more in time spent at the checkpoint.:biggrin::biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 08:17 PM

Miguelito (Mike Humfreville's son) told me that when he was with his mom and Travelpearl on their Baja trip a couple years ago, he answered "YES!" to the "Do you have drugs?" question. The soldiers didn't have a clue how to deal with that! Miguelito has extremely long hair, wears tie-died shirts, etc. The funny thing is Miguelito thought the soldier asked, "Do you have DRUMS?" which he has, in the Trooper! Everyone laughed! However the point is they were not ever expecting someone to admit to having drugs... and had no clue how to proceed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 08:29 PM

That was last April on our Whale annoying trip....

You should have seen their faces! I still crack up when I think about it,

Miguelito says "yes, want to see?" and proceeds to the back of the Trooper, the guys back up and look at each other, I start cracking up....."Miguelito, he is asking if you have Drugs, not Drums" red-faced Miguelito says "OH, no....see? Drums, not Drugs", we all had a laugh, and for days after that everytime I thought about it I would crack-up with tears running my face! In all fairness, Miguelito and his drums were a big hit everywhere we went, especially with the local kids, they would gather and want to play them, so I think that that was probably what was in his mind, he did say to me later "I wondered how they knew about the Drums" We all know we are abit nervous at the inspections. :)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-27-2004 at 12:22 AM

Miguelito was a welcome addition to the Viva Baja Van gang... riding with us in spacious 4WD comfort rather than cramped in the cab of P.O.T. (poor old truck) with Mike and Mary Ann, going from M's first BBBB to Rancho Camote. See http://davidksbaja.com/van1

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2004 at 10:02 AM
related funny

My brother's sweetheart Katie was crossing the border northbound several years ago with a family group including a rambunctious little nephew. He kept drumming on the lid of the styrofoam cooler in the back seat, driving everyone in the car crazy. Katie had had it with the noise, the traffic and the long wait. Just as they pulled up to the border kiosk, Katie noticed the nephue was distracted and had stopped drumming for a moment. Seeing her chance to get some peace and quiet she half wispered to her niece in the back seat, "Hide the lid!" Well, that was all the Migra man needed to hear before they were sent off to secondary and a thorough search. Poor Katie knew not what she had implied until it was explained to her about how pot was measured and packaged.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Enormo

[*] posted on 2-27-2004 at 02:06 PM

Marijuana is packaged and measured in styrofoam lids?
El Jefe
Super Nomad

lol.gif posted on 2-28-2004 at 12:35 AM
A lid

No, silly. If you grew up in the 60's you would know that a "lid" was a slang term for baggie of pot. Does anyone know where the term comes from? I don't.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2004 at 08:11 AM
Don't know

But I remember a 4 finger lid being much better than a 3 finger one.:lol: Surprised I can remember anything!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.