Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Games in Baja
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 02:53 PM
Games in Baja

Caballos (Horses)

The Game of Horses is the greatest leveler of people I have ever experienced. Gringo’s and Mexicans played, guys could play and the women loved it. The rich could play and the poor certainly did. My grandkids love the game. They are only allowed to play at home. It is an illegal game in Mexico because it is a wagering game. The Federales were the only ones who did NOT seem to enjoy it. Caballos was the social event of the weekend at almost any family style Cantina. It was just plain, clean living fun; usually it accompanied by much laughter, some screaming and hollering, and quite a bit of backslapping. It also involved a bit of direct confrontation whenever a couple of players would get a little overly excited. No one ever got killed but occasionally it lead to some heavy pushing and shoving. Oh! Yes, for sure it involved a continual, moderate level of drinking or the bartender would politely ask a non-drinking player to leave the bar. The house couldn’t make any money; they didn’t get a cut of the play, unless the guys and gals paid for their seats by drinking some kind of alcoholic drink. Early on it was just beer or vodka and later it became beer and Bloody Marys.

This wonderful game required no special physical size or ability. It didn’t even demand a large amount of intelligence. It surely did help if a person could count the spots or markers on five dice. AND it was a requirement that each player had a sufficient number of coins or bills in his pocket with which to wager. As the evening wore on most players would help each other call the result of their cast as the light got dimmer and dimmer.

If you have never played this game of chance then you really have missed a very basic ability to mix with the peoples of at least two countries. Namely, Mexico where the game is played and the United States that always seemed to provide a good number of players on any given weekend.

It is a very difficult to explain how it is/was played. The nuances of the game are such that no one could possibly explain all of its facets. You had to wager and play to gain any real degree of knowledge into how it is played and most importantly how the wagers are made. It is kinda like poker, but totally different.

Some people shake the dice in the cup like mad, then slam it down on the bar as they holler for—whatever. Others talk to the cup and then gently let the dice Dibble out of the cup and onto the bar. You can still see indentations on the bar caused by the ‘slammers’—no, not the drink!

As I said before it is played with five (5) dice which are marked with nine dots (nines) on a side, ten dots (tens), face of a court jester (jacks), the face of a queen (queens), face of a king (kings) and the shape of a spade or a single dot which represented an ace. Nines are the lowest in value and aces are the highest, you have to throw at least a pair to wager. Straights and flushes do NOT count. To play each player has to ante (usually a quarter or a couple of pesos) then, in progression, each player is allowed up to three casts of the dice, usually from a special dice cup, upon the bar in front of the player. If the player got, say, three aces in one cast-he would announce tripe aces en un (3 aces in one roll). With that he passes the dice, in the cup, to the next player to his right. By only casting once this restricted all of the following players to one cast or toss. A player has the option to stop at one; two or three tosses provided he had at least a pair. If a die comes out stacked one upon another then you had to roll again—that is usually when you had rolled three or even four of a kind. It really killed you to have to throw them away. The poorest possible toss would be a pair of nine’s en la noche (all night or three rolls). The greatest hand is cinco aces en un (five aces in one). A wonderful hand would cuarto reinas en la toto dia or four queens all day (in three). Winning a few quarters doesn’t seem like much but when you have 18-20 people each ante a quarter you ended up with a pretty good pot AND as the night progresses the quarters usually changed to paper stuff. Another aspect of the game is the side bets between individual players—say Lu Ann rolled three jacks in one then other players could challenge her by placing a “side bet” and stating no mas jackes en dos (no more jacks in two rolls). If she rolls another jack on her second roll she claimed all of the money placed on “the side bet.” She was very good at that and it was not unusual for her to proclaim, after rolling three of a kind on one toss, dos mas jackes en la noche (two more jacks all night or in three rolls) thus placing a side bet of her own. Any other player could cover this bet. Needless to say these side bets could amount too much more than the original ante. Charlie Carbahal was a master at winning side bets even though he rarely won the main bet. He would make side bets on four queens (which he got so often you would have sworn that he was married to the ladies) get beat by cuarto Reyes (four kings) and still win on his side bets.

Tequila Pancho had a very unusual manner of playing Caballos! He would play his hand, then get involved in a side bet, usually with a new gringo, and start yelling at the top of his voice, “yu cheet yu malo gringo I kil yu right now” The new guy would normally back away and Pancho would giggle loudly as he raked in the money. He tried this with me a few times and when he found that I would not back down he would laugh, slap me on the back, and call me a “cabron” (a bastard).

I never understood why the game died out in the Cantina. Some said that it was the Federales but I never saw them close down a game in over 20 years of playing. Others said it was an American bar owner. No matter what the reason! When this simple little game died out so did a lot of the interaction between the Mexicans and the Americans and we all lost as a result.

Horses anyone?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 03:18 PM

Oh gawd, Bernie, that is a great story! Thanks!

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 09:47 AM

Great story and yes, it used to be played at most bars, I think video took over most fun games at bars. We always called that game "Cubilete" or as you say also "Caballitos".

Thanks for the memories :yes:

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 10:16 AM
Great story about the bar game, Bernie..

Another favorite game and pastime in our village square is, of course,...dominoes. The table is set out and it time for some relaxation. One of the more peaceful scenes that capture my heart.

-1 a a games of Baja.jpg - 46kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 10:57 AM
fdt

Just pulled an old dice cup out to check............what happened to the lady?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 11:09 AM

Bernie this brings back the past fun. I like to play this game and still do at our Eagles club in El Centro from time to time. Once the cup comes out the players just happen and of course the drinking gets increased with the yelling for the dice to make you a winner. Use to play this in San Felipe with friends but we always brought our own cup and dice (not loaded as everybody used them) and as long as you were buying drinks the bartender did not care, of course he was getting tipped too. bajafun777

Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 4-15-2007 at 01:16 PM
Memories

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Another favorite game and pastime in our village square is, of course,...dominoes. The table is set out and it time for some relaxation. One of the more peaceful scenes that capture my heart.

Mine too!

Most valued possession are my dad's "rocks". He's been gone almost 30 years but when I open the bag it's like he's still sitting across the table.

It's nice to see the younger generation playing dominoes. Don't see that much in the States....Sad. :(

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Just pulled an old dice cup out to check............what happened to the lady?

Mil disculpas

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2007 at 10:18 AM

I like this story, it brings back not only memories, also PICTURES in my mind. We never knew the Horses Game. But played many other games, usually weekends, saturday eve or sunday afternoons- when it was too cold to be outdoors in winter, rainy days....... We loved it, Family sat together and had real FUN. Especially when Dad lost a game ;).
I still play - Backgammon mostly, at home or when away (got a travel sized one). Every Sunday morning - we have breakfast in bed, read the newspaper, and then - a Backgammon tournament !!! Which can last for about 2 or more hours.
Same when we are on vacation - most evening we play either Backgammon or Gin Rommy (sp?), or Poker. Looooong Summer nights, to hot to sleep anyway!

Hey Pompano - I think I know where this photo was taken, and I think the Guys too - they have not moved since -eh?
Except for another cold dosXs from the Bar across ? >f<
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2007 at 11:59 AM

Another good tile and dice game is Mexican Train. We used to play it a lot a few years back..and would be fun to do so again. I must have the game pieces around here somewhere....

Farasha..I just had a delicious shrimp taco at that square about 2 hours ago and the game was still going on!

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 12:29 AM

Pompano - Shrimp Taco - Ahhhh - Gimme some!!!!!!!
BTW - I always saw just GUYS playing! Never any Senorita or Gringa. NO one to play with, for me there!
HOW come? Anyone?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 11:04 AM

"BTW - I always saw just GUYS playing! Never any Senorita or Gringa. NO one to play with, for me there!
HOW come? Anyone?"

We are afraid to touch this one, FARASHA. :saint:

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 12:15 PM

Farasha I will tell if you get me a pardon in advance from all the ladies on the board :bounce::bounce::bounce:
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 01:52 PM
Woops!

Go much further with this and someone might get a time out.
jejejejejejejejejejejeje

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 04:00 PM

Jeezo, Bernie.......Do I remember the dice games in bars. Players seemed most enthusiastic when they would slam the cup onto a metal table top. What a racket.
Caballitos is kinda like Mexican Yahtzee, probably older, certainly louder.

Thanks Bernie
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
Farasha I will tell if you get me a pardon in advance from all the ladies on the board :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Alright - maybe I just wasn't clear enough! Was in a hurry, when posting it.
AGAIN:
ONLY Men playing on this tables, never seen any Women- HOW come! or just coincidence?
When I wanted to play a game too - I never found a woman to join me for a game!! As I was to shy to ask one of the (local) Men - as this might have raised the very same reaction, as right here now! :dudette:;D

jim - pardon for what? tellin truth? Or simply send a U2U - no one will know then! :biggrin:

BERNIE - no worries - no time out anyone!! All fine!!:saint:

Pompano - you are easy to scare - EH? :biggrin:

LARRY: THAT was on my mind too!!:yes:

FROM my earlier post you can all read that I love to play boardgames, so far I have been to lot's of places, and found always someone to have a good tournament ( usually BACKGAMMON) - and was missing a good fun while in BAJA ( beside having another cold cerveza) - and had no one to join me for a tournament.
Are Women really too busy with keeping things running, or are they less involved in public games. Mexicanas/Gringas - haven't seen any of them playing!

Cheer's Guys - >f<
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 05:19 AM
Women say, "This is no time for games!"

In Baja, they are way too busy cooking lunch for fishermen.

There...I have opened Pandora's Box...let the carnage begin.

-0 womens work is never done.jpg - 43kB

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 06:50 AM

To my way of thinking it is a man thing women have kids to care for houses to clean and clothes to wash no time for games, this is just a opinion on my part , and it is not posted to offend the ladies ( but has proably stirred up a hornets nest ) Glad i am in colorado and out of reach:spingrin::bounce::spingrin:
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 07:19 AM
Pompano

Loved the picture of the lady emerging from her nap to partake of the repast that the man had so lovingly prepared for her.

Farasha.............quite a lady you are!

Playing games is a man thing?????????????? Not to my way of thinking!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.