Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Recap McMillin 500
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 11:15 AM
Recap McMillin 500

Hello,
Here is a recap of my race a few weeks ago. Sorry it's late but it's a recap of the McMillin 500 Mexicali, San Felipe Mexicali,(400 miles) March 31'st. My friends and I did this race solo.

I had the idea sometime last year to do the McMillin 500 solo. A few months ago I asked Ivan what his thoughts were on doing this. He told me I better start running every morning to build some endurance. I thought it would be nice if I could get some friends to do it with me.To my surprise Ivan told me he was training to possibly do the McMillin 500 solo.I mentioned this to some other friends and they wanted to jump in as well. I asked Seve (DP racing) a few times about doing this and how to approach the race. He gave me some good ideas and told me to ride about 80% and just make it to the finish.
I knew the course was going through the dry lake on the way down and on the return. I was concerned about the Dunlop 739 because I have wasted that tire on the lake bed in the Mexicali Logistics race. Once again, I asked Seve about tires and of course he recommended the Michelin.He also told me about the bib Mousse to avoid flats in the front.I met W/Seve,Dean and Ryan at the lake house in Imperial Valley over the AMA Nationals weekend.Dean and Ryan installed the bib mousse on my wheel and Seve gave me a Michelin baja rear tire to use.Thanks to DP racing that was awesome!
The course was not open for prerunning until 1 week before the race and my work schedule did not allow me any days off until Friday of contingency.So I did not get any time on the course. Thanks to CODE for the good markings. Another issue we had was that baja pits would not go down because of lack of customers for the race.This sent us scrambling for support. However, we had many offers for help including Jefe Negro and Corky from AZ. These guys jumped in and didn't hesitate. We already had TW and Roy set up to help. We decide to team up with some other friends from Mexicali that were racing also. We could split the 7 pits and we would have enough trucks and help.
Contingency was a breeze with not many vehicles there yet. However, Friday night seemed to get longer and longer with more things to do. Finally to bed around 12:00am.The morning of the race was a mess. I was up at 3:45 with gear on ready to go.I go down to the parking lot to wait for Octavio but it is Ricardo that I see. He is in the parking lot with his gear and bike needing a ride to the start line. Then Octavio shows up late and needs to go back home because he forgot his back pack.What a cluster F%ck.We arrived at the start line and all bikes and quads are gone.We are 30 minutes late from our scheduled start time. I'm thinking great no prerun, 30 minutes late, 3 hours of sleep what kind of a day is this going to be.
Oh well, up to the start line and we line up and one by one start the race.I knew it was a long race and only 6:00am I would be riding for a long time. I just wanted to get through the upper section so we could start heading South.We all came together at the first pit got gas and took off. Heading South I see a bike on the side of the road and it's Ivan kicking his bike.He gets going and soon passes me. During this time we started to encounter quads. The dust was absolutely horrible. After getting by them it felt good screamimg through the fast sections knocking down mile after mile.
When I arrived at pit#2 RM 104 Ricardo tells me he is on fire and I said yeah man your riding fast. He said no, for real I was on fire. Thanks to Septien for giving him another dipstick. Lesson #1 turn off the bike before checking the oil.. Someone took out this dipstick and oil shot out and he caught on fire. At RM 160 we had pit#3 with Roy. I changed my air filter got some food and drinks and was off. Ivan was staying back to do some repairs on his bike. I was amazed that we were all close after 160 miles.Now the fun stuff to San Felipe. It was Octavio,Chris and myself going through all the whoops. Octavio who is from San Felipe knew all the lines and I threatened to file a protest if he was not in sight hahahaha. I got a glimpse of Baja Lou taking pictures on the powerr line road.
Pit#4 was at RM 195 and I felt good and wanted to get going. Chris and Octavio decided to take a short break and eat something.I felt good and my bike was running great so I pressed on to Huatamote.Going through Huatamote I had to pull over and visit the bushes. I see Chris and Octavio pass me and they are gone.Then 2 quads pass by. The same quads I have already passed twice I was going to have to pass again. I get back going on to TW's pit at RM 260. I'm thinking right on time to start the return back North.TW changes my air filter and I get gas. A power bar and full camelbak I'm ready. Octavio has already left and Chris waits for me. As we are leaving Ricardo shows up looking beat. He is Okay just needs to take a break.TW tells me Octavio is 8 minutes ahead of me. I went to Borrego at a good pace and try to catch him. However, after crossing hwy3 the course gets a little nasty. I decide to just ride through it and avoid crashing or getting a rear flat. I get to pit#6 at RM 315 feeling good. I ask them how many minutes behind Octavio am I. They said 5 minutes. I get to Check#5 and then to pit#7 and I don't see him. I pin the bike through the salada so my visor is almost touching my number plate. Only a small window to see. I knew the last whoops were coming so I stated to move my shoulders and knees to get ready. I was sore and the long stretch through the salada gave my muscles and knees too long of a rest and it was hard to get going again. This last section was almost the hardest. I wanted to have some speed through there but I just couldn't. That was until the support from the spectators standing up clapping. Giving a salute with their beers in hand. There it was the finish line. I turn off my bike and the guy says do you want a beer ? Hell yeah I tell him.

It was a very tough and challenging course. I'm very proud that all 5 of us finished.It was definitely an experience. CODE was very helpful and supportive of this. They even gave us ironman plaques at the awards ceremony.There was another racer named Jonan 17 years old that also did it solo.59x our friends from Mexicali never made it to Check 1. He tried to cut a corner through the dry lake and got stuck, very stuck in the mud.They didn't get the bike out until 6:00pm. Thank you to everyone that helped us out and offered to help out. A big thanks to Seve and the DP racing familia for all the support on this race and over the years.
Also, a big thanks to Rene (ZR Promotions) for the hook up at the Lucerna Hotel very nice and excellent rate with the ZR discount.
Another big thanks to all the pit support Especialy TW and Roy for coming down from out of town to help out. Shirley was very kind with a lot of snacks and liquids. Total race time for me was 9:40 but I was docked 30 minutes because of my scheduled start time. So CODE has it as 10:10. Thats Okay because this was for fun and we had plenty of fun...

Next race is the ZR team race April 21'st in Laguna Salada, Mexicali...See ya in the Dez
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 11:23 AM

Awards..

McMillin 016RR.JPG - 42kB
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 11:25 AM

great to see you flying down the powerline Paul - Congrats on a awesome race

And CODE puts out a great award plaque

[Edited on 4-15-2007 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 11:57 AM

Good and FUN report to read! Thanks.. Wanted to go down and watch that race but couldn't make it. Someone asked earlier if there were any trophy trucks in that race, I was wondering also.....
Corky1
Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 4-15-2007 at 12:18 PM

Paul,
Great race report.:bounce::saint:

Thanks,
Corky :lol: :lol:

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 03:31 PM

NO TT's some class 1's and a few 8's
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 04:14 PM

Congrats on the finish. That is an accomplishment to be proud of for sure!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 10:56 PM

Good job Paul!!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 06:57 AM

Great report Paul.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.