BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Grandma goes to Baja for the first time!
RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

Mood: Really Ready to Go!

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 07:23 PM
Grandma goes to Baja for the first time!

Our family and my brothers family have been going to our places in Bola for Easter break with our kids for the last several years, this time we took grandma! We left the central coast of Ca. Friday the 6th of April and headed for the boarder crossing around 1 p.m. and proceeded to San Quintin for the night. This was the first trip to Baja for grandma and my brothers new toy hauler, both move rather slow compared to usual Banzi runs to the Bay, but both made it fine. Traffic was heavy as to be expected but we made it to the bay Saturday afternoon and settled in for a great week. Grandma got to meet Bedman and wife, Mary Anne humfreville, Debra, Soul Patch and family, Doc and his daughters and Beach Bob. After meeting Beach Bob all grandma could say was “What about that Beach Bob.” I think we all said the same thing after meeting Bob for the first time.

High lites of the week encluded: Grandma riding the dunes in my Rhino, watching the kids tubing in the bay, Going to the beach at La Mona, Grandma going to the weekly meeting of the ladys of Bola with Mary Anne and Dinner with everyone at bedmans. A good time was had by all. The weather was generally good except for one day of strong west wind that pulled my boat off its anchor so we took our boats out of the water at the ramp in town as tides were not high enough to use the ramp a Camp Gecko all week. It was a good thing we did as the wind blew a least 40+ that night. We never made it back in the water to fish or boat as there was so much to do. Doc had told us a pod of killer whales were spotted at the south end of the big Island but we never got the chance to go long range to look for them or fish for yellow tail. The water was warm for this time of year and weed patties were showing in the bay already. Maybe the sign of a good year for Dorado?

We were all sad to leave Bola behind on Monday, and with a tear in each of our eyes we made our way to Estero Beach for the night and crossed the border for home about 11 A.M. on Monday the 16th with only about a 45 Minute wait. I think grandma wil be back! :bounce:

Here is a pic of bajatracker and grandma with our rigs over looking the Bay:

rigs over look bola.jpg - 50kB

\"FREEDOM\" William Wallace
RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 07:25 PM

Veiw from the over look at Bola:

bola over look.jpg - 43kB

RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 07:26 PM

Kids tubing in the Bay:

kids tubing in baja.jpg - 46kB

RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 07:29 PM

Grandma rides with me in the Rhino. New Rhino Horn modification By Bedman.:lol:

gradma in Rhino.jpg - 49kB

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 08:07 AM

Tom,
Glad to see that you all had a good time, and that Grandma's first trip will lead to more. After running into you guys in San Y. and because we stayed in Ensenada, we kept asking ourselves, I wonder where they are now....I bet they're in San Q., I bet they're just pulling into camp, etc....wishing we could have gone further south as well. We only got to take our panga out once because of winds also.
Thanks for the report, and love that new Rhino modification!

Paulina y Dern y Cody

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 08:18 AM

Thanks Tom for a great trip story! It helps when this is the first April in a long time that I wasn't in Baja!

[Edited on 4-20-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 09:23 PM

Hi RHT! Why was this Grmas first time to Baja? She surely doesn't look too old to not have known about it! Have you been hiding it from her? Looks like Grma was having a great time.If my kids ever tried to hide Baja from me, well....we won't even go there! Just kidding.Great pics and good on ya for showing Grma(I am one also) how to "do"Baja!!:tumble:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2007 at 01:02 AM

Mexico is about family and I really enjoyed your sharing your family trip with us. What fun!

Iflyfish
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-21-2007 at 08:44 AM
another Grandmother's day in Baja...

My good friend's mother just had her 99th birthday. 9 nine years ago, he brought her to Baja's Conception Bay to celebrate her 90th birthday.

When asked if she wanted anything 'extra special' for her day, Betty said, "I'd really like to take a swim in that beautiful water..but not from the beach...way, way out there in the bay...like those porpoise we were watching through the binoculars."

Well, I have known Betty for a lot of years..since 1964..and she has always been a bundle of energy, but I was a little nervous about her swimming abilities at her present age. My friend assured me she was still a great swimmer and not to worry..besides we would be right there with her.

So away we all piled into my boat and motored to the middle of the bay. It was one of those great flat calm days..like glass. Betty got out onto the bow and expertly sliced the water in with barely a splash...and swam smiling around the boat...at 90. Jeez, what a gal!

Next year will be her 100th..I wonder what she will want to do then?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 07:23 AM

Pompano, thanks for Betty's birthday story. Thats one lady I'd like to meet.

Sallysouth, our mom is still young, so it's not to late for Baja. Our grandma lived to be 104 and was always up for a new adventure.

Iflyfish, I couldn't agree more. Mexico is about family. My brother and his family got us started in Bola and we tohether have introduced our mom to Baja. We came to Baja for the fishing and amazing adventure but now we go because of the life long friends we have made.

David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2007 at 02:29 PM

Thanks for the report and Pictures. I need a baja fix!:yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.