Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rancho Leonero - fishing and the real Baja
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 09:59 AM
Rancho Leonero - fishing and the real Baja

Got back from 5 days at Rancho Leonero, about 60 miles north of Cabo. I went with a couple friends, and we were pumped for marlin and lots of fishing - brought the coolers. The first day, Saturday, the wind was howling all day and all night, into Sunday, so the boats didn't go out. It flattened considerably by Monday, so we went out on a cruiser. There were jumping mantas, cruising dolphin, but few marlin. We ended up with one big dorado, a black stripe tuna (threw it back) and a mako, which one of the crew wanted, so we kept that. The water temp was about 72 and the air 76 or so - so still a little cold for fishing. Next day, went out again - it looked good, but the wind kicked up about 10:30. Most boats came in early, but we stayed out, riding 5 ft. peaks, and rolling in the troughs, until 3:00. Saw a marlin crusing in our wake and another alongside the boat (!), but they just weren't biting. The captain from another boat said that the caballitos we all were using for live bait wasn't what marlin wanted. We cought another large dorado, and a jack (more work than the dorado!).
The rancho itself is superb - meals are included and the food is great - ribs, porterhouse, pork chops - BBQed on the premises. The dining room is very charming, has a pool, hammocks, fantastic beach, bar, all services - fish cleaning, freezing, lunches for fishing days. Went for a couple hikes in the morning and the birding is great too. On our non-fishing day, we went horseback riding. There are ATV tours available to several places, kayaks and kayak fishing too. Would heartily recommend Rancho Leonero.
Offroad
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 10:17 AM

wilderone -
Sorry about the wind. Rancho Leonero is my favorite Baja destination. I was down April 13 for 4 nights, and had just 2 partially calm days. Unusual for so much wind during these months.
During my stay, a guest by the name of Clarence, 92 years of age caught and released a Striped Marlin. Also, a father and son team caught 4 stripers in one outing, during heavy seas and wind. Nearly all the boats had billfish hookups, and I am happy to report RL encourages catch and release of all billfish.
I just started kayak fishing, and what a kick it is! Dennis Spike is guiding individual and group trips at the ranch, and has well equiped kayaks available.
I also am a big fan, and hope your next trip fills up your coolers!
www.rancholeonero.com
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 10:43 AM

Looking forward to the next trip already! Dennis went with us the first day on the boat. He reported that the day before, someone had caught a pargo that pulled them around the kayak a bit before they could bring it in. I hope to try that next time. Of the 7 Rcho Leonero boats that went out Sunday, there were 3 marlin caught I believe.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 11:12 AM

Dern's leaving in three weeks for Rancho Leonero. He's never been there, but his father Joe has many times. Joe passed away last November, so Dern was invited by Joe's fishing buddies to take his spot in their annual visit. They're also taking some of Joe's ashes to spread as well.

Dern doesn't care for flying in tourist style, so he'll be driving down with his buddy Ezra co-dogging, dropping him off in Todos Santos to visit friends there. (I think the driving vs. flying is a good excuse to get a few more days in on both sides of the trip, if you ask me.) I'm sure they'll have some sore butt cheeks by the time they get home as this is going to be a blast down and back trip.

He's not interested in billfishing, but more the inshore style. He's done the Los Barriles dorado/tuna/marlin thing in years past, but would like to switch it up targeting the inshore fishing, pez gallo, pargo, toro, jacks, etc. Hopefully the person he buddies up with on the panga will be into that as well, otherwise it will be more of the same 'ol same 'ol WON report type of deal.

Rancho Leonero sounds like a wonderful old school baja place. Wish I could go too. I've put it on my list.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 11:17 AM

Last time i was in RL we were skunked one day and caught our fill the next day...go figure. Both days the conditions were identical and ideal. Guess thats why they call it fishin' and not catchin'

Hey wilder, aren't those chops something else at the ranch? Now you got me all pumped up . I'll need to start planning my next trip down there.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 11:22 AM

Rancho Leonero is a fabulous place. BUT the wind has been kicking up a lot lately and usually from the north which just blows right through there.
Where did you hike. Perhaps you missed my post about my trek up flat top. Here is a shot of me climbing up the face....I was later told about the path.
Spike is a kick. We sell his DVD/Video on our web site.

3rd.jpg - 48kB

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 01:58 PM

In the back of the Rancho there are dirt trails that lead to the arroyo, skirt some of the red rock cerros, and when horseback riding, we went to a fresh water lagoon where there were lots of birds. I saw jack rabbits, cattle, cardinals, orioles, verdin, quail, a rattler, and the ocotillo was in bloom. Great valley views. And along the coast is a shell midden where I found a lot of scaper tools. A cutaway soil layer near shore revealed some large chunks of coral and very old shells indicating what used to be there, like huge conchs, several oyster -- all the wonders of Baja. I was told that there are many bobcats around, but I didn't see any. And the snorkling right in front of the ranch is good too. It's the BBQ ribs that I'm still thinking about!!
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 02:08 PM

Rancho Leonero...hmm...nice location but when I stayed there it was overpriced. They charged $10usd/hour for kayak rentals. The food and c-cktails wern't very good. I guess this baja rat better stick to camping out. I would never recommend Rancho Leonero
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 08:07 PM

Thanks for the wind reprot...wish I was there! Not happy to hear there are makos about, but then it sure makes me get back on my board that much faster!

Always praying for wind :tumble:...but strange that the El Norte winds are persisting...

Have a great day what ever the weather!

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-29-2007 at 08:27 AM

stayed 4 days diving there in 1990. strip was trashed so we landed at palmas and taxied in. John Ireland ran the place then, 5 rooms only and the pool was under const.

he died this year - a baja legend as a hospitality man to the sport fishing tourists on east cape.

diving at cabo pulmo is not to be missed!!

i agree with Wilderone this time!! RL is a classic!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2007 at 09:10 AM

Capt. I think that you are mistaken about John. His accountant(Roy) died this year but John is still kicking. :bounce:

Offroad
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2007 at 10:45 AM

John Ireland is alive and well. I am sure he will be happy knowing he has "BAJA LEGEND" status.
Roy Baldwin (aka Mr. Fun) passed away in November. Roy was the Ranch CFO for 17 years. There is a tribute to Roy at ;
www.rancholeonero.com
Also, on the same site if you go to links, and then to divertido.html, you will be able to view several years of Travel Logs with great photos from Roy's Jeep trips and Quad trips.
Like all of us here, Roy loved the adventure and opportunities Baja offers, and was very kind to help me with my trip planning.
He is missed.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-29-2007 at 05:07 PM

sorry, my mistake. i was told John had died.
can't trust that source anymore!

guess i need to get to the east cape more often!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.