Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Diving in BOLA
cymeryss
Junior Nomad

Mood: So much to see, so little time...

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 05:09 PM
Diving in BOLA

I will be heading to BOLA next weekend for a couple of days with my zodiac. This will be my 4th time there, staying at Anotnio's place. I am bringing my dive gear this time with a couple of buddies, and would like to get out and do some diving weather permitting.

Does anybody have a map of dive spots in BOLA, names of places, etc.? My second option is to ask in town, Ricardo, which I hope will be able to fill our tanks. I had one bad experience asking at a dive shop, since they wanted me to pay for a dive trip, so that is why I asking here. I have not met Ricardo so maybe he will be alright with telling me where we could dive. Thanks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 08:29 PM

Baja California Diver's Guide by Michael and Lauren Farley c1984 has a chapter on Bahia de los Angeles (pg. 91). The islands and La Gringa are mentioned in detail.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 09:38 PM

You might stop and visit with Ruben Daggett. I don't know if he dives anymore, and yes he does have boats for hire. He also is willing to share his knowledge of his hometown.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 09:44 PM

Another option is to check with Roberto Ocana. He used to be a diver and now is a fishing guide. To find him head south of town past the cemetary. You'll see his large sign on the right, a monster two story "house" that looks more like a mini hotel on the left. Double back left turn just beyond that and his house is the first one on the left.

P<*)))><

Edit: Added photo of Roberto:

[Edited on 27-4-2007 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 06:07 AM

And yet ANOTHER option is Joel Prieto joel_prieto@hotmail.com. He has excellent equipment (center-console panga, easy-entry ladder, etc.) and is very knowledgeable about the marine life and divesites. Plus a great guy with very good English. ++Ken++
cymeryss
Junior Nomad

Mood: So much to see, so little time...

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 09:12 AM

Thank you very much for the info, that is exactly what I have been looking for. I will try with Joel via e-mail and then once we get to town I will ask around for the individuals that you all have mentioned. Now I can't want to go out. We dove once from the beach behind La Gringa across from Smith Island but there was little life to see, so now I hope this trip will turn out much better. Will give a report once I am back. thanks.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.