BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Q: What's the worst road you've needed 4WD to conquer in Baja?
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 12:54 PM

1996. First backcountry trip into the bowels of Baja. Thought I was unstoppable with my Jeep CJ-7. Overnighted in San Felipe, drove the dry lake bed out to Hwy. 3 and spent a night at Mike's Sky Ranch. So far so good. Decided to take the connecting "road" to the observatory road in the morning and out to the Pacific. Hey, it looked like a good road on the map and Pepe the bartender said we'd make it. After the first few miles, I didn't care about getting the Jeep out of there, I just wanted to survive myself. Almost flipped the Jeep several times. Kissed the ground when we got to the observatory road. Think it took us 4 hours to go 15 miles. The jeep actually made it home without any visible damage but it dropped it's load of oil from the transfer case on the garage floor the first night back. :O

November 1998. I had a short memory. The challenge was to make it up to the Observatory, via Mike's, from San Felipe and back in one day, solo, on a motorcycle. Thought it had to be easier on a bike. Had to carry two gallons of gas in milk jugs in a backpack. Not a good idea. Again, the first few miles out of Mike's I learned my XL-500 was not geared low enough to make the rocky inclines without stalling. Wiped out, bent the shifter, gashed my ankle. Made it up to the peak by 3:00pm. Way too late to make it back before dark. That night was a story all it's own but made it back to San Felipe, in one piece, by 8:00 the next morning. Then I slept.:rolleyes:

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonBaja
I apologize for hijacking this thread !!! Here are the coordinates:
Elevation 6,922 ft.
N.31* 02.788
w.115* 33.155
Hope this is correct

Hola Don... it would seem you were along Arroyo Los Pinos, south of Corral de Sam... GOOD JOB!!!

donbaja gps-r.JPG - 46kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by DonBaja
I apologize for hijacking this thread !!! Here are the coordinates:
Elevation 6,922 ft.
N.31* 02.788
w.115* 33.155
Hope this is correct

Hola Don... it would seem you were along Arroyo Los Pinos, south of Corral de Sam... GOOD JOB!!!

The location you point out is clearly illegal. Hope the park staff catch you next time. Really tees me off when people use closed land for their off road destruction. The park is for conservation, not erosive destructive toys
DirkEXC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 03:44 PM

ooooh seems we may have struck a nerve. I think I'll go plant some spotted leopard fur in a bear trap to document their territory.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 04:27 PM

What is illegal about a location... if there are no warning signs or broken down gates or fences? Did you read his story? He and friends were taking a road near Mike's Sky Rancho to see if it went through to the observatory. IF that road was closed to motorized vehicles, then there would be a closed sign or blocked access.

Perhaps you better take a tranquilizer in a couple of weeks, because the Baja 500 is RACING through that very same region, and crosses and even uses some of the observatory road. Friends exploring the mountains together is a wonderful thing... off road racing is something eles all together... Pick your battles!:light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
What is illegal about a location... if there are no warning signs or broken down gates or fences? Did you read his story? He and friends were taking a road near Mike's Sky Rancho to see if it went through to the observatory.

do you rob people on the street because there is no sign saying it is prohibited?
there is no legal route in that area to enter the park thru northern edge. period.
just because abandoned roads are found in the bush doesn't mean its proper to reblaze paths, particularly if you are not local and have no idea who controls the land.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
What is illegal about a location... if there are no warning signs or broken down gates or fences? Did you read his story? He and friends were taking a road near Mike's Sky Rancho to see if it went through to the observatory.

do you rob people on the street because there is no sign saying it is prohibited?
there is no legal route in that area to enter the park thru northern edge. period.
just because abandoned roads are found in the bush doesn't mean its proper to reblaze paths, particularly if you are not local and have no idea who controls the land.

The smartest thing is to use these roads so that the anti-access groups (i.e. - Center for BioDiversity, Sierra Club, etc.) will have to make a case against closing routes that are being used the the public. Not locked away from the public.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 09:39 AM

666, how would these guys know that they were in the park or that (according to you) one cannot drive on certain roads inside the park (that aren't signed as prohibited...

All I am saying is to lighten up on your fellow Nomad Baja explorer...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 10:26 AM

The trail that connects to the Observatory road has been used for years by motorcycle riders.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 10:44 AM

El Camote--I went on that God-awful Meling to Mike's road in 1996 too...that part driving around the Oak tree by the stream crawling over huge boulders stands out. Last time I went in 2004 it had regraded and no trouble at all.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 10:46 AM

This little bugger crunched my floorboard--you get an idea of the steepness by looking at the rock ledge to the right.

Yucca Road.jpg - 38kB
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 10:47 AM

Here is some data to consider:

from an off-road site:
Quote:

Trail sense - I don't like to make a bunch of "rules" but if you have not been to www.treadlightly.org and you are not familiar with low-impact recreation, please learn it and what it means before you go on a trip. Ask questions here if you are unsure. We enjoy constructive discussion like this, and encourage it. Don't be bashful. The bottom line is this - we will not tolerate any irresponsible behavior. Vehicles must stay on established trails. If you see a very faint track that is recovering well from very old use, is abandoned, andis in a sensitive area, DO NOT drive on it. Chances are that it is a track from someone who was driving off the trail to begin with. (this is not meant to be confused with a useable track with infrequent but legitimate use. We can discuss this in another thread if necessary). Some exceptions to this might be sand travel, or watercourse travel, where an established route or OHV area exists.

Hard to tell for sure from the pictures, but this hardly looks like a well-established trail they were on, and it would also seem they were within the park boundaries. How should they have known? Well, it makes sense to know where you're going, especially when you are looking for new roads, right?

I'm not expressing judgement, just adding some information, and along those lines SCORE races occur on established trails and back roads, and for that reason have minimal environmental impact. They churn those roads up, for sure, but the roads are already there.

[Edited on 5-19-2007 by Roberto]

Capture.JPG - 32kB
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
The trail that connects to the Observatory road has been used for years by motorcycle riders.

The roads have been chained/signed for years where they intersect the observatory road in the park, on the plateau. Roads in the low lands (below the park plateau) may be legal (but private land). Roads on the plateau, in the park, are clearly illegal to use despite all of the illegal motorcyclists.
Unfortunately 10% of the ATV/offroad crowd give the other 90% a bad name.
skibum

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 08:29 PM

One question is, would you drive the same way if it was your local national forest?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 09:01 AM

If there is no locked gate or if there is no sign that says no trespassing, the answer is yes. Provided it is a road or trail. I would not just cut cross country. I drive trails/roads all the time in the Sequoia National Forest and it's legal.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by skibum
One question is, would you drive the same way if it was your local national forest?
National forests contain areas designated for ATVs, Green Sticker vehicles, etc. In the Sierra San Pedro Martir, I have *legally* traveled sections that are closed to the population due to locals going into the back woods to start fires for the park personnel to put out. Places such as Venado Blanco and La Tasajera meadow are indeed closed to the population, but if you have a built rig, and can drive it safely and responsibly, and have a good relationship with park staff, you can get behind the gates without being some sort of scofflaw.

La Tasajera Road - leading to the meadow w/indemic trout:

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 12:40 PM

I can't give you a picture, but I vote for the blvd through the Loreto Bay development on the way to Inn at Loreto Bay Resort
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.