Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why Only In Mexico?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2004 at 10:49 AM
Why Only In Mexico?

I have been thinking about this for a long time this winter. See it is not good to go back to cold Colorado after Baja.
Here is the question. Why is it that people who would not even remotely consider giving candy and stuff to the neighborhood kids bring bags and bags of stuff to give to the kids in Mexico. And I wonder a lot about the long term effects of that.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2004 at 11:09 AM

Pescador, this is obviously the result of a vast conspiracy, instigated by a member of the Academia de los dentistas de Mexico who emigrated to the U.S. in 1954. He convinced his Gringo neighbors that candy was a splendid gift for kiddies, and the idea took hold and spread. There are rumors that this man has been getting kickbacks from Mexico's dentists ever since and has become wealthy, but I don't know whether this is true.

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2004 at 11:53 AM

Pescador!
Very good question! I shall give you my take as an "Ole Timer".
When I first arrived in Loreto and before the Road opened I do not ever remember any Child asking for a "dulce". Now a couple of Kids would sell Chiclets and still do that!

After the Road opened it was only acouple of years tha the Americano influence started showing up at the Plaza.
Part had to do with the Building of the new "El President"south of Town where many of the very poor Indians where brought over from the Mainland. The" little Ones" are really good at figuring out
how to beg and that not being productive theywill find something to sell!

the Mothers and Fathers of Loreto had a discussion about several children that were begging near the Plaza. It Stopped!

Now as to why Americans take Candy to the Children in Mexico may be hard to figure, Even in America we give Sweets to our Sweety,Candy to our youngins so why not the Poor Children of Mexico.? Well a good reason is that they do not have the Money to pay for Health Care and Candy is suppose to be bad for you Teeth!
I think that most people in those "Big Ole Motorhomes that some people complain about," are Kindly older people who want to be well thought of in their Travels, They have no Idea that the Sugar may be hurting a Child . No one tells them!!!!!
Skeet/Loreto
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2004 at 08:06 PM
Candy or ???

Candy is something I am asked for in some of the remote areas that the Baja 1000 has passed through. It is also one of the things I refuse as far as donations go.
What is really appreciated is dried fruit , seeds and nuts, and they go a long way. Tastes like candy and puts a smile on their faces, including allowing them to keep all their teeth for the machaca de burro or whatever is the current fare.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2004 at 08:52 PM

I hand out lollipops along the way to the soldiers, toll booth operators and sometimes to the kids. I really doubt that I'll directly contribute to anyone's tooth decay.

By the way, we often have a bowl on candy for guests at our house as well.

Zac

Dave
Elite Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 2-16-2004 at 09:07 PM
Mexican Candy is WAY different

Maybe it's because of what passes for candy in Mexico.

Couple of years ago some friends from Mexico City were staying with us. When they left their young son left a bag of Mexican candy. We tried some. Weird stuff!

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 06:03 PM

See, that is my point, we put out a candy bowl in the house and guests are welcome to take some if they want, but we still don't walk around the neighborhood and hand out bags of candy. I think that Skeet is right, that when the highway came through, the kids got to expect that kind of thing and it sets up the wrong interaction in certain cases. I have been traveling baja for years and the mainland even longer and the thing that I see that is somewhat disturbing is that the Foreign Visitors are seen as walking candy stores or maybe even the carriers of untold wealth. Because I speak the language I have had this discussion with lots of native peoples in Mexico and while they are somewhat confused about how it all started, they do see that some of the younger generation have come to expect things from the tourists.
I met a lady this year at La Ventana who has taken a different approach to this issue and she takes crayons, art supplies, books, etc. with her to baja and she welcomes the children to come spend a little time with her and do fun projects like painting rocks, doing coloring books, reading, etc. I don't want to overplay this but it has really had a big impact on this small community and the kids are there ever afternoon like clockwork and not only are they getting something really valuable but this lady is too. And she made it a real point that they might have a snack or something just like when friends come to visit but no handouts.
Anyway, I just wanted to throw out the idea on this board to see what others take on this might be. Thanks for all your replies. And I can tell from Skeet's reply that he has lived there for a time and has seen all the changes in the last 20 years or so.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 09:34 PM

I think giving writing tablets along with pencils/pens/crayons is a super idea. As far as candy giving goes, I remember in the mid 1960's having kids run up to our Jeep and asking for candy or dulces. That was in some remote Baja areas, too. Some gringo before us must have started that tradition.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2004 at 06:07 AM

Pescadora:
There is another reason for the request for dulce that mwy or may not be true!
It has to do with the Diet of the mexican People. There consumption of Tortilla and Beans and rice,creates a need for surgar, which in the old times was in the form of Honey.
It would be interesting if we could get information off the board to support my Theory/
I am limited to one hand hunt and peck this week. Skeet/Loreto
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2004 at 01:14 PM

So, my husband went to visit his brother who just drove his big rig up from La Paz on Sunday. Guess what Tio sent home for my 3 year old? Mexican Candy!!
In my experience candy is a staple in the Mexican family, whether it is flavored with chile, tamarindo, leche, or just a paleta. I try to keep it away from my little one, but one of her in-laws or cousins is always handing her something when we go to visit. I'm sure they'll pass it along to my infant when we go to visit, too. My in-laws think lollipos are great, even if you don't have any teeth yet, you can still suck!
Have you ever been to a Mexican party when a pinata has not been broken or a bag of candy (las bolsas) doesn't leave with every guest?
I think the Mexicans do pretty well with their candy intake, whether we contribute to it or not! H.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2004 at 01:58 PM

In Memories of Mexico, Tomas Robertson describes an overland to San Quintin made in 1927, and a stop at the Customs Inspector's house: "We were given a pleasant greeting and remained for a good visit, fortunately having with us a supply of candy bars pleasing to the children."

So candy for the kids doesn't seem to be a new trend. It's just that there are a whole lot more of us these days.

bajalera

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.