Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: MATOMI 2004: "It just doesn't get any better than this!"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 01:39 AM
MATOMI 2004: "It just doesn't get any better than this!"

Hola Amigos, I want to tell you that after spending a three day weekend with both old and brand new friends, I am so convinced that Baja is a magic place and you who love Baja are just the greatest people!

In a nut shell, EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT!

Now, the rest of the story (from my perspective)...

FRIDAY the 13th. Got out of town (Oceanside) by 6 pm and rolled into Nuevo Mazatlan at 11:45pm. Steve (Edie H's hubby) and Mike Humfreville were still up. My tent went up and I crashed. Sarah crashed in my truck.

SATURDAY 2-14:

It's Valentine's Day and we love Baja! In camp are Mexray & Pat, Mike & Mary Ann Humfreville, Edie H & Steve, Surfer Jim, my daughter Sarah and I. Soon a vehicle pulls up and we get to meet 'Baja Rob' from Bahia Santa Maria who shows us his photos of Matomi. Not long after, the Ford/Lance camper of Bob H & Audrey arrives then the Yellow Hummer H2 of GeoRock & Pete (with their daughter Alicia & her friend, Britanny).

We take a ride out to 'Shell Island' and do some scavenging and rescue a stuck truck (too much air in the tires). Steve & Edie have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and extract the vehicle to the delight of the young kids who were otherwise helpless. Mike Humfreville will want to tell you about his Suburban (La Vaca Blanca), which did fine (mostly)!

During one of our stops to see shells (and an octopus) a fellow walked up from a nearby Jeep CJ-5 and asked if I was 'David K'. It was Chris, 'ViaBaja' who has been coming down to Shell Island and the area for ages. His web site has tons of vintage area photos http://www.viabaja.com
Back at Nuevo Mazatlan, we had more visitors! Mary rode up from Playa Mexico on her quad and Tunaeater (Paul) on his motorcycle came to meet us. Many of us remember Paul from his and Desert Rat's story of when D'Rat and Tunaeater toured Mexicali's night life!

Bob H brought a TV and VCR which we set up by our camp chairs, and plugged into Mexray's battery powered camp trailer. We all watched El Camote's video 'Matomi 2001' and 'The Great Lost Mission Hunt Preview' as a teaser to tomorrow's Matomi Canyon trip.

SUNDAY 2-15:

Mexray had customized hats and shirts made for Matomi 2004... we were styling! Everyone agreed that there was no reason to cancel the day trip as we would be cautious of any contestants in the upcoming SCORE race who might be checking the course ("pre-running").

Just before we left camp, TW and his brother Bill arrived in a Toyota truck with a Baja racing motorcycle onboard. TW wanted to ride it out from Matomi to Hwy. 5. TW also brought his radar gun to 'clock' anyone who took his bet challenge in Arroyo Matomi (nobody showed!).

We all had CBs and kept a close watch for dust clouds of any pre-runners for the 2 week away San Felipe 250 race on the small portion of the future race course we would be using.

We went west from Nuevo Mazatlan to the Parral Canyon road, just south of the Sulfur Mine, and crossed over to Valle Chico in it. This pass through the Sierra San Felipe has many interesting geologic feature and we were very privlaged to have Georock explain what we were looking at, during our stops.

In Valle Chico, the race course joined our route using new 'road' that came down the middle of the valley, rather than using the existing road south from Agua Caliente.
At the edge of Matomi Canyon, we stopped to peek down into the gorge, listen for any pre-runners (still none), the descend to the bottom. The race turns left, down stream and we turn right for the 5.2 mile rough road to Rancho El Matomi.

Not far from the turn we come upon 3 vehicles with many uniformed men. The front vehicle (Chevy Trail Blazer) has the hood up. Seems the 4WD is not engaging (bad vacuum line and was later fixed). The men were from Mexico's equivelant of our Fish & Game and EPA. I was soon being questioned if this was a tour business and if so, I would need 'permits'! Now, it looked bad because we had these hats and shirts on that said 'Matomi 2004 Tour' (thanks to Mexray)!!! No, no, I said we are all just friends on an outing and the hats were for this reunion trip. He questioned the others while I was told to stay with his assistant. Of course, everyone else said the same and Tunaeater's dad speaks fluent Spanish... so all was smiles in the end! The men even moved some huge rocks so we could get around the stuck Chevy... all nine of our vehicles (2 Toyota trucks, Ford Truck, Chevy Truck, Ford Bronco, Hummer, Isuzu Trooper, Grand Cherokee and a Suburban)!

Matomi Ranch had eveidence of recent habitation, but was empty. We walked down the path to the waterfall fed pool and took photos. Soon there was a splash! GeoRock (Suzanne) could not resist... the three teenage girls also jumped in!

We had some lunch, took a group photo, Surfer Jim gave beer to the fish and game guys and we headed back. The Matomi narrows, east of the Valle Chico junction were very geologically interesting and colorful. GeoRock loved it!

After the narrows, Arroyo Matomi opens up with parallel tracks.. easy passing. Where were all those 100 MPH pre-runners that we were warned would cause us death and injury? TW and I were both past off road racers and spectators. We knew what pre-running is and it is not racing. The course is an open road to be used by everyone, except on race day. Anyway, it sure was a source for good laughter and joking about the threats made.

The Hummer crew was sure a happy bunch cruising Matomi, with laughter and singing on the CB.

Just a mile or two before reaching Hwy. 5, I saw headlights in my mirror. As I was the last/back door vehicle, it wasn't one of us... FINALLY, a pre-runner.. and just in time as our ride was nearly over and the sun had just set! I radioed the gang and we all pulled aside to allow the pickup to pass. No horn, high beams, or nerfing was necessary as he just cruised pass. The above is only done on race day, anyway.... not when pre-running (at least by mature racers).

Upon reaching Hwy. 5, TW was there with his motorcycle. The Mexicali based pre-runner's support crew gave TW a photo of the actual Class 8 race truck before heading north. They told him most pre-running is done the weekend before the race (next weekend).
We returned to Nuevo Mazatlan for great bond fire, thanks to the wood from TW, Arroyo Matomi, and everybody's wood stash. TW and Surfer Jim head north that night. Tunaeater and his dad left Matomi before the rest of us and returned to their camp, as the Trooper was acting up a bit (probably old gas was mentioned).

The weather was identicle to the last Matomi Gang event in 2001, somewhat overcast on Saturday and blue skys on Sunday.

MONDAY 2-16:

We didn't go to the sulfur mine on Saturday, so GeoRock & the Hummer gang, Humfreville's and Sarah & I went there this morning and explored the old mine. Once again, the race course goes right throught the sulfur mine, but we saw no pre-runners. Pete and Suzanne let me drive the Hummer back to Nuevo Mazatlan! I was very impressed. That big rig can turn so tight, it can go on any trail the shorter rigs can go on. I think Pete want to try Mision Santa Maria!

Mexray & Pat are continuing south to the Mulege area for a couple weeks. We said our good byes to them, Mike & Mary Ann, and Edie & Steve, as well.

The Hummer (with my daughter on board) and I go to San Felipe together and have a great lunch before I finally seperate Sarah from her new friends for our trip home.

We left San Felipe at 3:30pm, use the Mexicali East crossing (18 minute line) and are in the U.S. at 6pm and back home at 9pm.

Please excuse bad spelling or if I forgot a namer or two... I am muy tired zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I just wanted to give all of you my take on a perfect Baja weekend with the greatest people! They all have or will post their obsevations. Also, we will have a LOT of photos to share. Coming in a week or more (for Mexray's return) to this web site. VIVA BAJA EVERYBODY!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 07:12 AM

Watching movies in the middle of nowhere.....

You guys are just "modern day gypsys"

:lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 07:30 AM

Speaking of those death threats, I sure hope you won't forget to send copies to Sal Fish. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 08:26 AM

David thanks to you and everyone else for a great trip up to and down Matomi. Bill and I had a wonderful time. It was really nice to meet all the fine folks that went along. On the next trip I'll camp with the rest of you to see who tells the tallest tails around the camp fire. I'll be back down for the SF250 race since Mike Doherty will be racing his class 8 truck and needs some chase and pit help.

The Mexicali race crew was Canchola Racing. They said the prerunner that went by you was a 4x4 Ford that they had just put a $200 engine in from a junk yard. They were pretty happy it was holding up for the prerun.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 09:04 AM

Good to see everyone returning home...and now to hear the stories and photos....washed truck and found a few dents...just reminders of the trip..time for a wax job anyway...may return for the race also...
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 11:30 AM
What a GREAT weekend!!

David,
Audrey and I really enjoyed meeting everyone. What a run into that beautiful canyon. We also had a great time around the camp fire each night!! Thanks for setting this up for all of us. Nine trucks in and nine trucks out!
On the way home, we made it to the first Pemex station with about one gallon left. Now I need to figure out how to shrink the size of my digital photos...
Bob H (Audrey and SHELBY too!)
PS: Shelby has been sleeping since she got back home. :lol:

[Edited on 2-17-2004 by Bob H]
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 2-17-2004 at 04:06 PM

:yes: Been waiting for you guys to get back. Can hardley wait for pictures and more stories! Thanks!:)

tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 04:47 PM

We made it back to k43 about 4:30 I think it was about 2.5 hours from rancho matomi. The trooper ran great on the way home. We even got it to 32 mph at one time. We were passed by two pre runners on the way home. 1 buggy and 1 baja bug. They were both courteous and waited untill we pulled over. They both waved as they were going by. We were going to hook up with you guys for a beer later but after dinner and a shower it was off to Z land. We had a great time. I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone for there generosity and hospitality while at nuevo mazatlan and on the trip to matomi. David thanks for the headlights to get me home Saturday night. If anyone is passing by El Centro and wants to say hi or needs anything don't hesitate to let me know. It was a pleasure meeting everyone and I'm looking forward to more great trips.
TW we need to hook up for some serious MC ridding. Maybe we can hook up with corky1. Also a big thanks to Mexray for the hats and Mike H for loaning me his CB ..See ya on ther next run...Paul

[Edited on 09-03-2003 by tunaeater]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 05:02 PM
TW, we'll be at SF 250 contingency

fri, with the baja.net crew, why not come over and introduce yourself? we can discuss the wager if you still are interested in doing it on any weekend or sunday? after the race?:spingrin:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 06:54 PM

Capt. Mike I'll be there too and I'll look for you guys. Does baja.net have a booth there? Mike Doherty said he was racing his class 8 truck so I'll be helping him during the race. Baja Blackie said he would have his car there for a ride if I wanted too. If time permitted that would be great but I'd rather take a run with Scott, no offense to Pat, but who wouldn't opt for a TT spin if possible. But I doubt if Scott would have time and who knows what could happen with the race and all going on.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 07:40 PM

TW,

You'll have to wait in line for a ride with Scott as I'm sure you know that he doesn't hand those out like lollipops. Unlike Pat & I, many other Los Hermanos Locos havn't had the chance yet and are in line...Scott laughed when we told him how much we were going to win...the other thing is the truck is prepped for the race and they don't put the truck out in the dirt until race day...they prerun in Jet Blue and Jesse's truck...but no doubt we are strapping you in the Class 10 Lothringer for an eyebugging ride in Matomi. It'll give you quite a "cheeze ride" to talk about.

DB

[Edited on 2-18-2004 by Desertbull]
PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 2-17-2004 at 10:53 PM

DB and TW.. My first focus is to run from RM1 to Moreilia on Thursday. This is where I need to find a photo spot so that I can get back to the S/F by the time the bikes come in. TW, you are welcome to grab a stint in the right seat from say Zoo road to 3 poles. It pretty rough through a good part of that run but with 2 people in the car, we can get up on top of all the chop and go almost as fast as the race cars. "Almost" because the car will still pan on the deep stuff with the less than "race car stiff" suspension.

[Edited on 2-18-2004 by Baja Blackie]
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2004 at 07:30 AM

David: thanks for the report. I'm curious about the "EPA" folks you ran across - I didn't know they even existed. What would they be doing up that canyon?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2004 at 07:59 AM

Yah, I was surprised too. As the lead vehicle going in I was the first to talk with them. They spoke English better than I spoke Spanish. I first offered to help with the broken Chevy, but the tables were soon turned as I was drilled about why so many of us where there, was it a tour business, etc. I asked him what the letters stood for on his uniform, but he just repeated the letters rapidly in Spanish. The answer came from Tunaeater's dad, then the agents themselves who said they were like America's Fish and Game and the EPA. They were there to make sure the bighorn and other endangered animals were okay. They set up camp just beyond the ranch house at Matomi after we arrived there.

[Edited on 2-18-2004 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 2-18-2004 at 10:18 AM

Great trip, great people, great fun. I'll post tomorrow my trip report, and perhaps a little sulphur info. Until then, Happy Moons over Matomi!

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
David K
Honored Nomad

cool.gif posted on 2-18-2004 at 06:21 PM
THE MATOMI GANG 2001 & 2004

A list of the Baja Amigos from MATOMI 2001 includes David K, Mexray, Mike Humfreville, El Camote, jeans, Amo Pescar, bajaboy, elgatoloco, & westy (plus passengers).

Also, Neal Johns camped with us at Rancho Camote and Wild Bill/LN waited for us at Rancho El Matomi. Dave McFarland joined us on the Saturday outing.
----------------------------
A list of the Baja Nomads from MATOMI 2004 includes David K, Mexray, Mike Humfreville, surfer jim, Edie H, GeoRock, Bob H, Tunaeater, & TW (plus passengers). Also, Mary of Playa Mexico and Baja Rob of Bahia Santa Maria visited with us. We met ViaBaja on Shell Island. ----------------------------

Surfer Jim has proposed a group (summer 2004) trip out the Vizcaino peninsula (Abreojos, Asuncion, Tortugas, and MALARRIMO BEACH)!

I have already said I want to go... one of the many areas of Baja I have NOT been to! It will be nice to have somebody show me their favorite spots! I am looking forward to surf fishing and beach combing. Maybe even a quick run into the Sierra Santa Clara for a lost mission hunt! LOL :bounce::bounce::yes:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2004 at 07:01 PM

David, I think Surfer Jim's ideal is great. I will do everything I can to make it. My two brothers and I went out there a couple of years ago. Lot's of stuff on Malarrimo. I ran the beach on my MC with a pack of coyotes for a while. Found a underwater camera that we took pictures with. Whoever lost it was a scubba diver, we got one picture of him. Saw a Badger going in and coming out.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-19-2004 at 10:36 AM
a good place to consider for a group campo

is Bahia de los ballenas, Pete's camp at abreojos. Services, bungalos - primitive, but shellter. and some tiendas around to re stock basics. I would consider going there anytime the weather gets hot in the desert south west! pacific breezes........yeah.......

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.