Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: La Turquesa Trek
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 04:30 PM

Thanks Roy. When the weather is cooler maybe we can put together a group to finally break thru.
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 02:26 PM

Thanks for the report SC. We'll try to join you if you do another run. (Cooler too, I hope)
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:21 AM

"This La Turquesa Trek will be a FIRST of any 4X4s in a great many years to get thru. There was, at one time, an old truck trail to the mine but storms and time have wiped a lot of it out. "

"It is this approx. one mile in the wash (used now by motorcycles) that would require some brush and rock moving to get four wheeled rigs through."

"Some evidence of an ancient road was seen, that the arroyo has washed out. A flat area also promissed a route for autos... but scouting a cross over from one wash to the next is where other Nomads would have helped... "

Hi guys,

So this is indeed an existing road that has deteriorated due to weather over time? Just for clarification, you aren't building a roadway on undisturbed soil/habitat, right?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 02:37 PM

That would seem to be the case Chris... Did you see my photos of the road grade at the start of this thread or in my trip page http://vivabaja.com/207 ?

All that road construction down the mountain was certainly not to just go to the bottom of the mountain and not on to the mine, a mile or mile and a half away!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 02:50 PM

Oh, bajataco... I just looked at you web page on tires and thought I would tell you I have just worn out the Cooper STTs on the front of my Taco, with 33,000 miles on them and the backs will be replaced soon.

They wore well until recently, no chunking or scalloping, then seemed to wear quicker.

Never had a flat, and they were awesome in mud and getting into and out of Mision Santa Maria (just last May)...

However, they were too noisey for my taste and terrible in sand (where I do most of my four wheeling)... requiring an air down to 10 psi to 'float' on Shell Island. They gained the nick name 'grave diggers' the first time on Shell island with them!

The new tires are Toyo Open Country A/T, which worked well at 20 PSI on Shell Island, are very quiet, and I increased my milage by 1 mpg at the last check. When I change the back pair, that may get even better.

The Cooper's look great.... made it look like a 4X4... but they were my mid-life crisis tire... and I am over that now... The Toyos were only $125 compared to $185 for the Coopers... and no, they are not macho looking or have a 3 ply side wall... size 265/70-16"

[Edited on 7-3-2007 by David K]

607 015r.JPG - 44kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
That would seem to be the case Chris... Did you see my photos of the road grade at the start of this thread or in my trip page http://vivabaja.com/207 ?

Hi David,

Yes, I did see the photos, thanks for posting those. I was just curious about the section after the road ended at the bottom of the grade.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
All that road construction down the mountain was certainly not to just go to the bottom of the mountain and not on to the mine, a mile or mile and a half away!

Yea, that would seem the logical conclusion, but you and I both know that a lot of projects in Baja defy logic :lol: and often don't get finished for one reason or another.

Regarding the Coopers, I'm sorry they didn't work out for you. I like your term for them "mid-life crisis tire" :lol: That cracked me up!

[Edited on 7-3-2007 by bajataco]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 11:16 PM

Well, they worked okay in the mud and rock crawling... But you got to admit they are damn noisey... At least they did last almost 10,000 miles longer than the BFGs that came with the Tacoma!

They sure look cool, though!:lol::lol::lol:

Here's my back tire (still a Cooper Discoverer STT), 8 days ago...

[Edited on 7-3-2007 by David K]

607 016r.JPG - 41kB

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 03:18 PM

Just back from Wisconsin...far-far away from Baja.

As stated throughout the thread, its not a new road...and it has been conquered by fullsize 4WD vehicles in the past few years...but it is NOT for the faint of heart or those that don't warrant off road body damage...

I especially love when the road between Puertocitos to Gonzaga gets bad...my FOX Racing Shox suspension works better...:bounce:

Hot & miseable conditions? When do we leave?:lol:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 06:46 PM

Thanks Tim... we were kinda hoping you and/ or Wild Bill would convince SCORE to bring a dozer in there to open up the arroyo section!

Poor Roy and his friends tried!

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
Just back from Wisconsin...far-far away from Baja.

Welcome back DB.

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
As stated throughout the thread, its not a new road...and it has been conquered by fullsize 4WD vehicles in the past few years...but it is NOT for the faint of heart or those that don't warrant off road body damage...

Well in that case it sounds like it would make for a fantastic adventure. :bounce:
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 07:08 AM

Got any more details from those that made it?.....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 11:24 AM

Reading the Nomad board while in South America is like a breath of fresh air - yes, the air here is packed with diesel soot, but I´m getting used to it. Sounded like a great adventure w/the SQ. The temps here are only in the 60s which is a welcome departure from Riversides relentless heat.

Here is my pic. helping guard the presidential palace in Downtown Lima:

ˇˇˇVIVA BAJA!!!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 08:23 PM

Wow, Ken------you ARE far afield!!!!! One of my main memories of Lima is the incredible "dust" on everything because it NEVER rains there.

But a great city, with great people. Hurry back, Ken-----this La turqesa "run" is perfect for you and the Rubicon. :o
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Wow, Ken------you ARE far afield!!!!!
But a great city, with great people.

I´ll agree, the people here are fantastic. After 1 week, I feel right at home. At the moment, I am here visiting with Lesslie and her son Jhair. We took this photo on the evening of July 11th - during the General Strike which crippled most of Peru, and brought the police out in droves.

Lesslie and Jhair in Downtown Lima:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 06:49 AM

Ken, sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy while you can because we're going to put you to hard labor on road building when it cools up here.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken, sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy while you can because we're going to put you to hard labor on road building when it cools up here.

That´s funny because they could use some help with road building in downtown Lima as well.LOL!!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 12:31 PM

If Ken and his adventurous friends spent one day here clearing rocks it may be all that's needed. The ride out to hwy1 would be a grand reward.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.