Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Are Shocks Really Needed
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 07:14 AM
Are Shocks Really Needed

During my trip to San Juan de la Pilas I broke the right front shock, I mean like broke it into two pieces. It was a new KYB that had been on the truck only a few months. The truck is a 04 GMC Z71. After removing the shock in Mulege I drove back north and into Mike's Sky Ranch coming off the Observatory road and later into Ensenada. In Ensenada I purchased a Monroe shock and put it on. The next day back up the Observatory road to chase Tunaeater in the 500 race.

Interesting thing is neither I nor my brothers could tell the difference whether the shock was on or off. I'm thinking of disconnecting both front shocks the next time I take a trip off road in Baja to see the difference. Maybe go down the Gonzaga Bay road with them on then return with them off.

By the way, the most improvement on suspension I ever felt was when I disconnected the front anti-sway bar on my Toyota during the Pole Line Rd run a couple of years ago.
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 10:09 AM

TW, your Torsion bar suspension is most likely the best to handle this situation, and most likely the remaining shock was doing the work. The work is dampening the spring or keeping it under control. Remove both shocks and your truck will resemble a pogo stick. I broke a shock mount once also, on the portocitos (sp?) road. I didn’t know it until I as back in SF, this was on a solid axle Jeep. You will see extreme tire wear, due to the tire bouncing on smooth pavement. We did a trip to Cocos for the 1000 with a Toyota with both shocks broke in the front; 20mph was a stretch for it. Shocks are a good thing.

Sway bars have nothing to do with suspension; they simply keep the body from moving over the suspension. They often limit the travel of a suspension which is the only benefit of having them disco. Most race vehicles have them; they are just designed to not limit travel.

\"The only cure is to be perpetually South Bound\"
~Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers from the song Mexicosis

Geronimo
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo
... I broke a shock mount once also, on the portocitos (sp?) road...

Since you asked, PUERTECITOS :light:

It is one of the top mis-spelled Baja place names (right up there with Guerrero Negro, Alfonsina's, Los Barriles, Santa Rosalillita, etc.), so don't feel bad!:bounce::yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 08:23 PM

So we're all in agreement they are necessary....

How useful are they in dampening the chatter from a washboard road? If so, any recommendations on what will make those roads smoother?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 09:33 PM

Speaking of sway bars;
I was at the tire shop with my '04 F350 and noted the huge difference in the size of the sway bar in my '04 vs the '05 and newer. Mine are double the diameter of the newer ones. '05 is when Ford went the way of all the others and did a coil suspension instead of leafs....bummer. I always thought they had the toughest truck suspension out there; until now ?
I think I'll keep my '04 unitl they come to their senses.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 10:58 PM

Every truck I ever had the first thing I did was replace the factory sway bar with a heavy duty Hellwig sway bar.

One year (96-97?) I had an F-150 and I put in two brand new Rancho 9000 shocks in front and I had air bags in the back. Smoked the ranchos on the road in to Abreojos. I went to town and they sold me a pair of Monroes to get home on. I ended up getting the Rancho's replaced under warranty as they were only two weeks old. Put the new Ranchos back on and transferred the Monroes to my 86' F-250 and ran that truck until it got broadsided and totaled a few years back.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 07:05 AM
Food for Thought

I agree shocks are for dampening the spring. However on a stock truck I think they are more usefull on the hwy than off road. I've broken lots of shocks and never noticed the difference. It use to be that to tell if a shock was bad you pumped the vehicle up and down to see if it continued when let go. I've done that to my GMC and Toyota (it has heavy duty torsion bars) and you can't tell the difference whether the shock is on or off.

As to the sway bar, it's purpose is to eleminate swaying or roll on a turn. This action reduces the wheel travel especially on IFS. I've never removed it on the GMC but on my Toyota I've driven off road with it off and drove it back to Bakersfield from San Felipe and around town and never noticed any difference. Granted I never tried to swerve quickly around something on the hwy at 70mph, that may be a big difference. My old work truck was a 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton and it had a sway bar on the rear. I could never understand what use it would be unless I had a 3000lb camper on it.

[Edited on 6-21-2007 by TW]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 02:28 PM

Thanks whistler that's a good point. On my 91 chevy I broke off the right rear shock and blew out the left rear while off road in Baja Sur. I had a cabover shell loaded with stuff and the backend bounced like crasy.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joel
...any recommendations on what will make those roads smoother?

Only thing to make a washboard road smoother is regrading. I have observed that washboards are at their worst on noncohesive soils. I think they need to build road beds with a higher clay content.

Washboard solution: air down your tires a little, and go very fast so your tire flies between tops of bumps (take care to slow before curves and blind spots, because not much steering ability at hi-speed when floating atop humps [little tire contact]). Optimum speed is 40-60 mph, depending on your vehicle. Of course, any local or stopped car will hate you for this because you leave a massive dust cloud that coats all surfaces within several hundred yards of the road. Don't try this with a heavy trailer.

Removing shocks on washboards would likely cause more wheel vertical travel, causing more wear/tear on your car, and probably making the washboards incrementally worse for the next driver.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 08:37 PM

Tom
I think you post in jest :lol: Seriously, lets look at what some of the most highly engineered, tested and designed vehicles running around on dirt at this time do, ie: a desert Trophy Truck. The shocks are not just along for the ride comfort, they are one of the most critical components on that vehicle to keep it in contact with earth safely.
Expotentially based on speed, weight, terraine, vehicle configuration etc the same would apply to most vehicles, with the exception, of course, of the 1972 Ford LTD coupe with 9 passengers that just arrived at the coast on the same trail that challenged me for the last 4 hours with no suspension of any kind, defying all logic or concepts of physics :rolleyes:
MT I think someone else made the decision long ago as to what the soil composition of any given dirt road in Baja consists of. Just a thought :?:

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.