Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 10:51 AM
Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna

History reading continues for me and, yesterday, forgot to post Mexican leader Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna's 6/22/1876 death.

Apparently, he became head of Mex gov't 11 times. It was under his leadership that Mexico lost so much of its land to the US.

Thankfully, Treaty of Guadalupe didn't include Baja going to the states.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 10:58 AM

yeah, i'm glad they waited until the 21st century...........

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 12:33 PM

Isn't his severed leg still in a museum in DF? If it weren't for Ol' Antonio, Fess Parker would have been selling cars 'cause Davy Crockett wouldn't have been.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

Neither does it include the islands like Catalina, Coronado/North Island, San Clemente and others.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

Neither does it include the islands like Catalina, Coronado/North Island, San Clemente and others.

That is interesting about the islands, except Coronado is not really an island, it is just called an island ---but there are several other islands going up the coast.

If my failing memory serves me correctly, The Treaty of La Mesilla, also known as the Gadsden Purchase in the early 1850s is what really ended Santa Ana's career and spawned the infamous William Walker into action in Sonora and Baja.

For railroad building purposes, the US bought more land from Santa Ana--If they had gotten what they wanted, the mainland of Mexico would have been cut off from Baja.

Correct me if I am wrong, Ferna, because I love all history, and all perspectives in history, the Treaty of La Mesilla was very unpopular in Mexico and even more angered by Santa Ana's use of the money, so it ended his political career???

It is always so interesting to read about different events in history from different points of view. One can read several well researched books about the same historical figure and think they must be reading about different people.

Too bad so many students are not interested in history, it is really about who we are today.

Diane

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter

That is interesting about the islands, except Coronado is not really an island, it is just called an island

In no way am I trying to start an agument, but if you were to research history for North Island, it was an island and during WWII, the main channel to enter san Diego bay was dredged to allow carriers into the bay and the dredge was placed in the hollow known as Spanish Bight between North Island and Coronado, forming one big "island"because before that, there was a north island and a south island. I had to learn all of this during the 80's for the centenial anniversary f the Hotel del Coronado were I worked.:saint:

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 09:47 AM

North Island derived its name from the original geography. Up until the early 20th century, it was referred to as North Coronado Island, due to the fact that the Spanish Bight separated it from South Coronado Island until the early 1940s.

In 1886, North and South Coronado Islands were purchased by a developer to become a residential resort. South Coronado became the City of Coronado, but North Coronado was never developed. Instead, Glen Curtiss opened a flying school and held a lease to the property until the beginning of World War I.
I took this from this interesting link
http://www.nbc.navy.mil/index.asp?fuseaction=NBCInstallation...
Now Babc-ck bought what he didn't have to because it wasn't legaly belonging to the US gov.

[Edited on 6-24-2007 by fdt]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter

That is interesting about the islands, except Coronado is not really an island, it is just called an island

In no way am I trying to start an agument, but if you were to research history for North Island, it was an island and during WWII, the main channel to enter san Diego bay was dredged to allow carriers into the bay and the dredge was placed in the hollow known as Spanish Bight between North Island and Coronado, forming one big "island"because before that, there was a north island and a south island. I had to learn all of this during the 80's for the centenial anniversary f the Hotel del Coronado were I worked.:saint:

Hey, no argument---just learning. I understand about North Island, but was Coronado ever really an island in historical times? Was the sand spit that goes there from Imperial Beach underwater? It is entirely possible.

I know the sand spit at the south end of Imperial Beach where all the fancy condos are was covered with water at times---a natural way to clean out the estuary. Of course now, they just call it floods. :yes:

Oh, speaking of Coronado, the mother of one of my close friends was raised there in tent city after WWI. Land wasn't worth much then---boy, have times changed!

Now, did the Treaty of La Messilla lead to the end of Santa Ana's career?

Appreciate the education.:yes:
Diane

[Edited on 6-24-2007 by jdtrotter]

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 10:39 AM

Don't know if that is what led to the end of his career, I think there was a lot more to it than just Tratado de la Mesilla.

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Isn't his severed leg still in a museum in DF? If it weren't for Ol' Antonio, Fess Parker would have been selling cars 'cause Davy Crockett wouldn't have been.

Never heard about the leg, but there is Obregon's arm. There was a small museum in Mexico City that displayed it. The decendant's ultimately won their bid to have it returned and buried.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 11:13 AM

There was something freaky about his leg, maybe not a museum.......I don't recall. Have to do some severed limb research.
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 11:34 AM

Thanks JDT and FDT. The mini-historical events fascinate me, too.
Quick bio on Santa Anna:
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/history/jtuck/jtsantaanna.html

Apparently he lost his leg in the French Pastry War of 1838. Dennis, artificial leg seems to be on display in Springfield, IL museum:

[Edited on 6-24-2007 by bajadock]

[Edited on 6-24-2007 by bajadock]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 11:57 AM

Thanks Doc---

That alone is pretty freaky. What was it? Spoils of war? I'm still thinking he gave his leg some kind of unusual attention while in Mexico. I'll look for it.

Thanks again.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 12:53 PM

All I can find is that he abandoned his leg in a carraige at Cerro Gordo and it was captured by Illinois volunteers which explains its resting place in Springfield, Il.
I must have crossed the story with Obregon's arm that elizabeth mentioned and, as I write this post, Mexico just scored. Must be a message from Santa Anna. He wants us to return his leg, maybe give it to the futbol team to take back with them..........if they want it.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 10:27 PM

Of course they want it! Anybody with that leg must be one heck of a striker!

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 04:12 AM
Santa Anna's leg

In 1838, French warships attacked Veracruz to force payment to a French baker who lost money when his shop was ransacked. Santa Anna was at his hacienda in the mountains above Veracruz, and went to the city to help in the defense. His leg was shot off during the battle. When he became president, the leg was placed in a tomb in a very public ceremony. When he fell from power, his enemies toppled the tomb with his leg, and fed it to the dogs in the street. Santa Anna sold the Mesilla strip to the U.S. in 1853, and fell from power in 1855 for the last time. He died in exile in Cuba.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 01:35 PM

I guess that was the last leg of his journey. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHOHOHAHAHAHOHA. gosh darnm that's funny. I just crack myself up sometimes. Oh man..... I have to sit down.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 01:56 PM

No, that was the last journey of his leg. But you are a hoot!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.