BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kansas City to La Paz
kctobaja

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 05:39 PM
Kansas City to La Paz

Me and a buddy have decided to give Baja a 90 day test drive.
We have a home rented in La Paz, and we are going to be driving down in a 1500 Ram 4x4, trailering two Honda VTX 1800's...

I could use some help routing the trip from the best point to drop into Baja.......

We are not concerned with scenery, etc. on the drive down, as we plan to do 1-2 day bike rides up and down the baja after we get settled in.

I'm wanting shortest time driving combo'd with best roads. It's approx. 3,000 miles from KC to La Paz, so we were hoping to do the entire drive in 3 days.

We're heading out around July 10th, so if anyone needs anything from stateside, and it's on our route to La Paz, we'll be happy to swing through, and make a delivery... :)

PS - What is the best roadmap to purchase?

Thanks in advance,

Keith
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 05:53 PM

KC to La Paz in 3 days? Sounds like you plan on some night driving and if you are, that's insane. You have 90 days. Why don't you slow down and enjoy the trip?
kctobaja

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 06:06 PM

We'll push it while we're still in the US.. We got a pair of drivers, so we can go hard heading West on 44....

Won't drive at night, once in Baja....

[Edited on 6-28-2007 by kctobaja]
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 06:22 PM

Buy the road map from the Automobile Club. They also have a tour book.

On the drive in Baja you will average no more than 50 mph guaranteed, especially with a trailer. And that is optimistic. There is really only one road once you get just a little bit past the border so your options are few. Cross at San Diego and point 'er south.

Give yourself more time on the road. You will arrive exhausted in San Diego and want to push it in Baja. Not a good plan for your first time. What you are considering can be done, but why risk an accident due to fatigue and why blow by so many interesting things? Smell the roses.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 06:25 PM

Cross at Tecate.

Baja night 1 - Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario
Baja night 2 - Don Vicente Motel in GN or
- Ignacio Springs B&B in San Ignacio
Baja night 3 - Iguana Inn in Loreto
Baja night 4 - La Paz

kctobaja

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 06:44 PM

Diver,

will crossing in Tecate save us time versus going on to San Diego?

Do the hotels you have listed, have high speed Internet? I own an Internet Advertising biz, and my partners would be a bit miffed if I was offline for 4 days.. :)

El Jefe, txs for the road map recommendation.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:49 PM

kktobaja:

Yikes, you wore me out just reading what your plan is! Take Diver's advice and SLOOOOOW DOWN! While Mex 1 has perfect pavement these days (not so even a few years ago) it still isn't for the weary, picture 9ft. lanes no shoulder, few guard rails, 250ft drops or granite walls and surprizes at every turn, which can, and has included a semi truck on a blind curve in your lane! You want to haul? Do it from KC to the border, once across, be well rested and stop and smell the Cacti! Even vets of Mex 1 have horror stories to tell, check out the thread "I survived Mex 1" Be safe, have fun and enjoy.

As far as internet (sorry you have to do that) I think Baja Cactus does (or was planning to soon, Antionio, chime in here. ) But, most every nook and cranny has a cyber cafe now, not hard to find.

If I were you, I'd spend at least a couple of weeks out of my 90 trip checking out what you are planning on whizzing through, you will miss way too much, Baja is truely amazing and changes with every mile, my advice would be to get a copy of "The Baja Adventure Book" by Walt Peterson, read up and really enjoy your trip. Then go back on your bikes and explore places you only got a taste of on your way down. Have a great trip, be safe and enjoy. Debra

Mean people suck!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:51 PM

Baja Cactus Motel has satellite Internet connections in the new rooms and wireless, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

kctobaja

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:55 PM

Thanks All, have a map ordered, and will route slower drive once inside the baja zone!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:58 PM

Agree with all the SLOW DOWN---heck, you have ninety days---don't kill yourself. The Baja highway is not like driving the interstates.

The advantage of crossing at Tecate is you will avoid the big city of San Diego, but it is a windy slow road down to Tecate. Also, Tecate is a laid back easy way to cross.

However, we were at Tecate today to get our FM3s stamped, and order some tile. There was no where to park on the Tecate side for immigration. After we arranged to buy our tile, we drove back into the US, paid to park and walked across. The head guy in immigration told us that what used to be their parking lot has been taken over by customs, and they won't let you park in secondary for immigration. He also said they have filed a complaint, but who knows.

Crossing at San Ysidro into Tijuana is really no problem if you cross early to avoid traffic. It is also easy to reach the toll road to Ensenada.

Have a great time---don't forget your car insurance!

Diane

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 03:31 AM

KC - i am a fellow Kanzonian, now just a Zonie.

Diver's drive plan is the best.
will you come thru phx?
if so give me a shout. ph no. avail off my web site, in case you need something and i can show you some baja tips. live in snottsdale......
Tecate is the ONLY way to go off I-8 west bound out of AZ., skip SD and TJ.
i'll be in KC enroute to WI late july, lots of friends and family there.
my place on "the baja"......ha!! is in mulege, you'll drive right thru it. don't blink.:tumble:
check out Stinson108 here, he's a KC guy too.

here's to the home of the best BBQ and jazz on earth, in KC.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 06:03 AM

we crossed at tecate on tuesday
first time...WOW...small...
crossed at 12 noon...NO traffic
kinda of weird driving thru the mountains to get there though

1 1/2 hours to ensenada on mex 3
very nice ride

stayed 2 hours at home depot in ensenada and
arrived at El Rosario at 8PM
we were pulling a trailer and going slow

Left El Rosario at 5AM wednesday and arrived in mulege on the beach at 3PM...no sweat

you could easily reach Loreto before dark...2 more hours tops
La Paz is 6 hours from Mulege

ALL stations south of El Rosario had gas and diesel
Gas at El Rosario for sure!!!!

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.