Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rainy day schedule
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2004 at 07:29 PM
Rainy day schedule

Well I know it's not baja but I'm gonna tell it anyway. Yesterday 2-22-04 we had plans to go motorcycle ridding in our local desert. We ride at superstition which is north east of plaster city in Imperial valley. I went to my buddies house around 6:30am to have coffee and discuss the days event. It had rained some the night before and it looked as if it could pour any minute. We went back in forth about going or not going for about an hour. Well our other friend called and said he was difinietly going. So that made our minds up if he is going we are going.
After arriving at our spot and unloading our bikes we were off. The sand was packed hard and as well as the dirt. The MT18 front tire and the dunlop 739 rear were sticking like glue. I was gaining confidece in my ridding by the minute. It felt so good to give it the gas hard as we flew through the desert terrain. At around 10:00 it started to rain and we all wished we had windshield wipers on our goggles. As we raced through the desert the rain drops were stinging our mouths. It helped if I opened my mouth but a few seconds later I had a moth full of dirt from my friends XR 650.
We decdided to go to this hill top we know to see if there was water in carizo wash. We were hopping to catch a flash flood going by but it wasn't raining hard enough yet I guess. The rain continued to come down and we continued to ride harder. We were like 3 school kids jumping in mud puddles on the way home from school. For a few moments in life it felt like we were the only ones on the earth, ridding 60 mph through the dessert as the rain came down. It was bautiful for us. Yes I was wet and a little cold, it took 6 bucks at the power washer to get my bike clean, and I got a mouth full of dirt but that was one of the best rainy day schedules I have had in a long time. It's not often we get to ride in the rain in Imperial valley.......Paul
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2004 at 08:22 PM

Paul,
If you've noticed, that rain has been reaching to the south as well. We've been in touch with folks in San Felipe and at Punta Bufeo.

It looks like the San Felipe 250 might have some wet spots in it. There's more lluvia predicted for Wed-Thur. Matomi Wash may be a real wash this time.

While you were out having fun in the desert, son-in-law was putting mud on himself and his bike up at the AMA Scrambles in Hollister. Didn't do too badly, one crash, but came in 7th overall. You complain about 6 bucks to clean your bike. It took Andy two pressure washers to clean his gear and his bike.

Re: San Felipe 250...Go 4X!
Baja Ken

[*] posted on 2-23-2004 at 08:44 PM

Do you guys think the Laguna Salada might swallow some riders at the 250?

-Ken
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-23-2004 at 09:20 PM

The race course doesn't come near Laguna Salada and also stays off Laguna Diablo.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 08:09 AM

One can only hope that it would rain the day before the SF250 race. That means no dust on race day and that means great racing and passing. Also a lot safer for the slow MC with the 4 wheelers catching them. Now rain on race day could be a bummer if not dangerous in the washes.

[Edited on 2-24-2004 by TW]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.