Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: More pics from Baja Rosario fest 2007
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-29-2007 at 01:14 AM
More pics from Baja Rosario fest 2007

Had hoped to leave San Diego either Thursday afternoon or early Friday... to no avail... left late Friday afternoon (early evening) and arrived late at the Baja Cactus Friday night.

In the morning, all I could personally think of was a cup of coffee over at Ed's Baja's Best B&B. We slept in, and on the way over to Ed's we saw DK and convoy heading from there back to the Baja Cactus. Knew we were in trouble, timing-wise, and hoped we weren't too far behind to catch up with David's trip to Las Pintas. But coffee (and breakfast for the boys) was #1 priority at this point.

I did not recall what the actual "start time" for his trip (not sure I really ever knew to begin with), but was hoping we weren't too far off.

David had seen us either heading to Ed's or parked there as the trip convoy headed down the highway out of town - and he graciously stopped in to check in with us and find out our intentions.... which were to join he and the others. He let us know the plan, and gave us instructions as to where to exit the highway, about how many miles out to an arroyo (17.5 - and if we reached the ranch with the satellite receiver we went too far), and then 7+ down the arroyo to the left at that point. There was a side remark about taking the correct left before the rancho.

Anyway, we did find the road leaving the highway, and did reach an arroyo about 17.5 miles in (although I'd headed left at a "Y" in the road which left me slightly questioning if I was in the place DK described). Where we arrived at the arroyo, we did head down the arroyo about 3+ miles where we reached a fence across the road (just tied, not locked). Since DK had not described a fence to me, and my uncertainty at this point as to if we were actually in the "right" spot (and figuring time-wise they would have to be returning soon anyway), the decision made was to turn back around and head down the road at a more leisurely pace on the way back than on the way out.... and see if they caught up to us heading back towards the highway - or at the highway (where we paused for a few minutes to air up the tires).

We had returned to the Baja Cactus just after 3pm - as Antonio and Lorenia had indicated a meal for Nomad's in attendance at 3pm. The Las Pintas trip participants did return later and said their time had been enjoyable and well spent.

I asked the boys to catch a nap - and did so myself. I think Jonathan bypassed this opportunity. We did revive from our naps in time to catch most everyone still out enjoying the food prepared by Lorenia, et al. Nice ceviche again this year, and fish cooked in foil on the grill that was nicely poached (among many other choices).

I was greeted by some new & friendly faces out in the courtyard, but was a little groggy in recovering from my nap and likely did not offer the most positive hello I would have wished to share with everyone.

Many went their own ways after this early evening event. We prepared for the pageant/dance/etc later. This year instead of under the tent at the basketball court, they had a roofless building just off the side of the park/zocolo on the side of the highway next to the police station. I thought it a pretty good venue for this.

The place was pretty empty when we arrived, but did fill up just a little later.

Michelle and the kids were pleasantly able to share their time and table with Roger and son Spencer. I believe Roger (from Seattle) indicated this was his first time south of Ensenada.

The surprise of the evening was the organizers of this year's Festival arranged for a troupe of dancers (Toltecatl) from Tijuana that put on a fantastic dance program - opening for and closing after the evening's beauty pageant.

A great (albeit long) program that really was a very, very special treat for the evening. The dancers went through MANY outfit changes while performing dances from many eras and regions of Mexico... and did so with great skill and energy. Fantastic.

http://www.myspace.com/toltecatl

The pageant went until about 1am and the dancers were finishing their program at 1:45a-2:00a or so. The band for the dance hadn't even begun at this point. We left around 2am and I don't know how long the band played continuing through the evening.

The following four pictures were taken towards the end of the dance performance - AT 2:00 A.M.!!!

Former contestants in attendance:

More later....

[Edited on 7-29-2007 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
โ€“ Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
โ€“ John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-29-2007 at 01:47 AM
Sunday

Sunday I believe we slept in somewhat again, took in the parade of old cars, beauty queen and her princesses along the highway through town. We enjoyed lounging around the Baja Cactus. Lorenia orchestrated the cooking of a large Sheepshead fish and some mussels from a very large sack of them that were brought in.

We were not in a hurry to hit the border traffic - and last November, on Thanksgiving weekend, I was surprised to find little to no wait at the border on Sunday at about midnight and thought I'd try that plan of attack for this weekend's return as well. Thought it was good as any for a summer weekend return. In reality, it was one of the longest-length lines I've ever hit crossing back into San Ysidro - and it was 11:50pm on Sunday. Luckily I chose the right line... and I mean the RIGHT line. Took us 50 minutes to get across.

Self-portrait:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2007 at 08:22 AM

Great pics Dough, Ha I more year and I miss it. It wont happen next year.You can tell everybody was having fun and the food, looks great.Has been along time since I ate choros(MUSSELS)..ummmm.

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 7-29-2007 at 07:11 PM

Thanks Doug,
Great pics. Sorry you guys missed Las Pintas. The boys would have loved it for sure. And Hey, I have the whole picture downsizing thing down, but not being able to post multipal pictures on one post as you can see from my trip report. Am I missing something or is this ability reserved only for the super admin dude?
That was a great Baja trip, some of it totally different than what we usally do.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-29-2007 at 07:52 PM

Thanks for all the super pics.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
I have the whole picture downsizing thing down, but not being able to post multipal pictures on one post as you can see from my trip report. Am I missing something or is this ability reserved only for the super admin dude?

The pictures aren't "attached". I hosted them in a different location online, then inserted the multiple pictures into one post by using the "Insert an Image" button (code) into the single post. Instead of attaching the image and uploading it to this site, it actually just references the image in its location elsewhere and inserts it into the page here.

The "Insert an Image" button is this one:

:smug:

The downside of using a picture hosted elsewhere is that based upon history - that over the long-term the photo will likely still be hosted/available if attached here, but will not remain hosted/posted long-term elsewhere, and thusly eventually become unavailable in the post you make.

I leave myself open to criticism here, as there are photos still not reposted to the forums here when I needed to switch equipment in September.... but I do still have them, and will re-insert them here.... only I've been - and continue to be - on "Mexican time" in doing so. "Ma๑ana!"

:biggrin:

--
Doug

[Edited on 7-30-2007 by BajaNomad]

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 10:30 AM

Doug, thanks for the photos. It looks like a grand time was had by all. I am impressed with the dancers' photos. Great costumes and lotsa movement. The food pix made my mouth water....mas drool on the keyboard.
Again, gracias from those of us who could not be there.

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 05:33 PM

OK Doug, I copy that. It also makes it very clear that you know way more than me about all this as I understood a little over half that. I will remain exstatic that I can share photos will fellow BNs in any format.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 08:21 AM

Ryland was sooo young ... our kids grow up fast!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 08:42 AM

Wow, Doug!

I had not known of your previous Baja travel experience. Impressive.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 09:26 AM

A couple of shots of Connie Ellig [dep] and David Hopps up there.....

http://www.tall5.com/blog/mex07erfest/pag/IMG_0806sm.jpg

[Edited on 10-31-2016 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.