Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TW SF 250 ?
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2004 at 07:44 PM
TW SF 250 ?

TW did you go to the race this weekend ? If so give us a report... Did you get your ride in the TT ? Thanks Paul
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2004 at 09:08 AM

The following is a report I sent to some friends about our weekend. No, I didn't get to ride in a Trophy Truck. Everything seemed to go so fast, especially when your having fun.

Bill and I arrived in SF early afternoon on Friday. Dropped off Old English, wine and non- alcoholic beer at Tony Tellier's (TT). Went thru contingency and bought a T shirt, hats and a raffle ticket for a quad. Checked a couple of motels for a room and met a Mexican couple at Las Palmas that had a house for rent with three beds for $120. A little too much for us, but they also had another house for $70 near military base by start/finish line. We took it. Out to TTs again for mixing with the Cheezers and Checkers and get Mike's (Doherty) race plan. Great time at the party. Mike gave us a tire and told us to be at RM91 area. Bob Bower asked us to check out parallel race course at that location said to be smoother etc.

Up at 5:30 packed and out to the race course. Upon arriving we started checking out the various course lines and sure enough there was a parallel line that runs for 2 miles before joining back up with the main course. Much smoother. First bike 1X had a 10 minute lead. Ragland was first TT truck and by our unoffical timings he did the first 92 miles in under 75 minutes. TT #3 was next behind him. 105 was first car followed by 103 Mark McMillin and to my surprise 115 Andy McMillin, who at that time I thought may have had the OA lead. As it turned out 103 won class one by one second over 115. You gotta love those family events.

Bad news got to us when we heard 806 (Mike) was down for ball joints and then out of the race.
We stayed around to watch until a class 11 came by, then headed to town. Got a Mexican combo at George's then off to TTs. Dropped off the tire and decided to head up the road to Mexicali. Wanted to take new east crossing and after 2 loops around Mexicali we finally found it. One car in front of us at crossing. Spent the night in Brawley. Dropped Bill off in Hemit at 8am and I was home by 1pm.

Sorry it didn't work out for Mike, but we had a real good time as usual. My only regret is that during all the excitement I forgot to buy my normal allotment of Kahlua.
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2004 at 08:30 PM

Right on! Sounds like you guys had a good time. You should of stayed in El Centro and you could of went on a morning ride with us. We rode 70 miles on Sunday and were back home by 11:30am. Let me know next time your passing by if you have time we could hook up for a ride out here. The road to the new border is quick and easy if you do it right. You need to turn before Costco. Next time I'll pay attention so I can give you the correct directions.Thanks for the report.....Paul

P.S. let me know when you can ride
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2004 at 09:03 AM

Thanks Paul. I'll let you know when I'm coming to your area. We turned at the first intersection just north of Costco. But it was dark and our first time trying to find the crossing that way. We have a better ideal of what to look for now.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-2-2004 at 09:58 PM
Mexicali East

I would like to try the Costco cut off, however, I have always used the simple way to get there..
Head straight for the border fence, past the Hotel Lucerna. The street just before the one way (west) street along the fence, is called ARGENTINA. It is a one way street to the right (east) and takes you all the way to the East crossing (about 5 miles). I have the GPS for the east crossing in my Baja GPS list, http://community-2.webtv.net/thebaja/bajagpslist

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2004 at 07:54 AM

Thanks David.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-4-2004 at 09:43 AM

De nada Tom!

I posted instructions for the Costco to Mexicali East border crossing that Corky sent me. It sounds pretty easy and I will try it.

FYI: Corky, BillB, and Max are going to explore the El Volcan wash route up to El Marmol from the gulf (Hwy. 5) in a few days. Corky wants to see if he can get down to the gulf from La Olividada, as well. Since you and Bill were looking for that route, I thought you would be interested. Stand by for GPS!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-5-2004 at 06:06 AM
i talked to Bill's pilot Tucker yesterday

he's going to fly aerial and work with tying photos, maps, GPS data all together to create a route. very interesting stuff.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.