BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: L.A. Bay to San Borja Mission to Mision Santa Maria: Can it be done in 1 Day?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

puzzled.gif posted on 8-13-2007 at 05:05 PM
L.A. Bay to San Borja Mission to Mision Santa Maria: Can it be done in 1 Day?

We're planning a marathon 4WD event w/this being the most challenging day of the event. Early wakeup in L.A. Bay. Travel route to Mision San Borja, then hit Hwy 1. Travel north to Rancho Santa Ines, travel East 14.7 mi. then, call it a day - hopefully before dark.

For all of you 4WD Baja Veteranos, CAN IT BE DONE before dark? :?:

The one thing people don't like is setting up in the dark...
Thanks for the 411...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 06:11 PM

Ken... things to consider... people traveling in groups take longer to get places... so the estimates below may still be to fast...

First off, taking the gang into Montevideo (7 miles from the San Borja road, 2 miles south of the L.A. Bay highway) is a must do and then at San Borja the folks will want to also have a look and take photos.

Also, it's November... No more Daylight Savings and shorter days... dark at 5:30pm.

Leave L.A. Bay all fueled up (Jeeps and people) at 9 am?

23 mi. to Montevideo from L.A. Bay 45 min., 30 min. there. (10:15am)

26 mi. to San Borja from Montevideo 1 hour, 30 min. there. (11:45am)

21 mi. to Nuevo Rosarito from San Borja 45 min. (12:30pm)

96 mi. to Santa Ynez from Nuevo Rosarito and prep time at Santa Ynez 2 hrs. (2:30pm)

15 mi. to Mision Santa Maria from Santa Ynez (5:30pm... dark)

MONTEVIDEO:

[Edited on 8-14-2007 by David K]

[Edited on 8-14-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 07:17 PM

It looks as if it can be done. Again, the size of the group will be a hinderance. My assistant Trail Boss Brad will help keep things moving. He used to be a farmer back in the Midwest...enough said! :o:light:

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 07:34 PM

Get 'em on the road at 7:00 a.m. and you can do it. No cooking breakfast, just a roll or something cold.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Get 'em on the road at 7:00 a.m. and you can do it. No cooking breakfast, just a roll or something cold.

I'll suggest that everyone pack breakfast the night before. That way, we won't get held up. Plus, I'll have Brad on hand to hurry up the stragglers. :yes:

Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 01:48 PM

Gee, Ken, no time to smell the boojums?

I agree with David - if you're going that far, Montevideo is worth the stop! If I was doing it with a group, It would be great to send in someone with a radio 2 or 3 miles ahead to report oncoming traffic (unlikely), & let everyone scream thru the cardon forest like bats outa hell. What a rush that would be on that skinny track.

You can easily spend 45 minutes at the paintings and 1 1/2 hours at San Borja & the springs. Magic place! You could then stay at Sta Inez & do the rock crawl to Sta Maria in the cool of the morning.

2 cents worth.
Have a GRRREAT time!

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 02:22 PM

Ken,

Have to agree with Baja&Back about Montevideo being worth a stop. In my opinion San Borja is one of the most special places in Baja also, and would make a great place to spend the night.

Enjoy you trip however you decide to do it.

Ken
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 05:07 PM

I have to weigh the fact that we will be staying someplace w/o showers for 2 nights already (Mision Santa Maria), plus, we will need ice, beer, water, so the logistics related to this sort of event get staggering. The group wants to try out their latest doo-dads they bolted on their Jeeps rather than do the "Lonely Planet" Baja thing. For many on this trip, the driving is their favorite part! :?: Personally, I like to pitch a tent, an EZ-Up, get out the Trance CDs and zone out for days on end. :yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.