Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scuba Diving Baja Norte
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 02:11 PM
Scuba Diving Baja Norte

Well I am going to start runnuing scuba trips to the enchanted islands south of Puertecitos. Has anybody done any Scuba out there? I have freedove the area for several years but have never put on a tank to stay down and explore.

El dorado ranch wants me to start offering tours to the islands but I have to go and finish getting my Dive Master Cert. I have enrolled in my Rescue diver class and will be done at the end of April. I will probably do a few expedition dives before bringing clients out.

If anyone has any info on diving the Encantadas that info. would be a great help.

IE Currents, VIS, What island, Marine life, ect.

See ya at the bottom
GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 03:10 PM

Sounds Great!

Just remember that unless you are Mexican, you cannot do anything that you get paid for (work) without special permits and a special work visa. All your scuba gear, boat, and other personal property will be confiscated!

That being taken care of, I am sure a lot of people would love to dive Las Encantadas. I have a friend who was just asking me about dive locations and a dive guide for him and his buddies... send me an email with your details (address in my web site, linked below).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 07:53 PM

No problem,

We currently work in parnership with Playa Escondida, an already established campo just north of Puertectios. We have been doing fishing and spearfishing tours for a while but never full blown Scuba tours. We can only take out 4 at a time because of how remote the place is but we want to be able to explore and log an underwater survey of all of the islands and their inhabitants.

Ill send you a pm with my info...

GTB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 09:56 PM

That would be great... I can send people your way! Perhaps even get me in the water before I turn into an aridologist like old Neal! What these people want is warm water diving conditions within a day's drive of San Diego (if possible). When is the Cortez (there) over 75??

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-9-2004 at 06:37 AM
Dale, I'm in!

have been flying recreational divers to san carlos, east cape, la paz and mulege for years. we prefer no wet suits req'd so that means mid july - oct for most locales at depth, 50' - 80'

I have a reg group that does at least 2 trips together a year. This year they want to go to BOLA and do the big friendly sharks. We'll have to decide where to stay that will run a gen past the town's cut- off time though.

Keep posting on this. We could be up for a dive to the islas.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2004 at 10:14 AM

Have kayaked to Isla Encantada and camped. Very large breaking swells (8 ft.) prevented our reaching the island the day we had planned. The wind can kick up some big seas at any time, and as a result, the return landing is through breaking waves. The best time to get to the islands is early morning, and there's no guarantee about the rest of the day. Even in a panga, conditions are frequently dangerous.
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 04:35 PM

Our launch point is 4 hours from San Diego. I just came back on Sunday from a trip down. I ended up comming back a little late. The people that had been with me had left on Saturday. We had fished for a few hours at the first cove south of puertecitos. We got 3 triggers and 2 cabrillas. We also caught a parrot wrasse(or at least thats what I thougt it was) it was emerald green with electric blue spots with purple halos around them. The fish also had a yellow spot on its side, it was beautiful. On sunday I woke up and walked out to the point in front of my house and was suprised by a pod of 20 or so dolphins. The water was dead calm and the vis was about 25 feet. I ran back to my truck to get my gear on and scrambled back but the dolphins had already gone south of me by 100m or so. I went diving anyway. I usualy dont dive alone but after seeing the conditions I couldnt resist. I stayed close to shore and under 20 feet the whole time. I saw a nice size lepoard puffer fish with red eyes and several big jelley fish. At one point I was surrounded by a school of fish mixed of different kinds all around me! I was in the water freediving for about 2 hours with a .05mm full suit and no hood. The water is getting warmer.

I just got 6 tanks hydro tested and am going to be getting more. Also I am saving up for a gas powered compressor to take down.

Wilderone, you are loco for taking a kayak out to the islands. I have been to them many times when the wind gets crazy!
We always take our 22ft I/O with a V8 and VHF radios.

Probably gonna make another trip down in a couple of weeks.....

GTB
:tumble:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.