Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Idaho to LosBarriles - May 07
ePBWhiz

Mood: Wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 11:23 AM
Idaho to LosBarriles - May 07

I realized the other day that I had failed to post a link to the SpudNuts Baja Adventure 2007 blog trip report for the Baja Nomads. Feel free to click here http://spudnutsbaja.blogspot.com and enjoy!

A friend and I took the month of May to tow a tin boat down to the tip and back. We met some great people, caught some fantastic fish, and overall had a blast.
-Sam
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 10:36 PM

Thanks for a great post. When is your next trip?

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 09:10 AM

Excellent report !! Great trip!!
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 10:22 AM

Man, I was loving your report until you started in about Alan Lewis AKA beachbum. Don't bring your wife next trip. If she looks halfway decent the guy will make a move on her. Alan starts out nice as can be then gradually turns into a control freak that wants to, and expects to, control every aspect of your stay at SLC. I am surprised the other campers there did not warn you. Marcos Mike uses Alan to get charters, but they both know what each other are all about. I remember one time when Mike was trying to get his boat off the sand to head back to the island and he called out asking for help. A few of us went out there including one guy who recently had recovered from a heart attack. Man we nearly killed ourselves getting that big ole whaler to deep water, and we are all huffing and puffing when we finally did get it out and I notice Alan was not even breathing hard. I was like, Dude, why didn't you help push. His answer, "I am not breaking my back so he can get home on time". What a great friend. That is what you can expect from the guy after knowing him for a while. I suggest you ask around for some other opinions on Alan next time you make it down.

Glad things went well for you and we will see you on the road.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
ePBWhiz

Mood: Wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 11:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback

David, Hopefully it'll be next May again....and the May after that....and the May after that....!!! (don't tell my wife)

Minnow, I appreciate the feedback on Alan, but the fact remains that he fed us well, loaned us tackle and tools, translated at the grocery and mechanic, and many many other kind acts - none of which I have received from you (nothing personal), so I'll stick with my opinion until proven otherwise. I laughed when I read your story because it sounds just like him. I could see after a couple days that Alan has very few people he likes and most everyone else he dislikes, and it appears that you're in the latter group. I guess that approach works for him so who am I to judge. Kinda weird that Rick, Wendy, Kevin, Syd, Bob, Larry, Mike, Dirk, Brenda, Marlyn, Spencer, Rod, etc (the other campers that have been there for years) didn't have anything negative to say about him.

Thanks again everybody for the tips and feedback, this forum was a big part in planning such a great trip. -Sam
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 11:27 AM

Like I said, don't bring your wife on your next trip. And Alan starts out like the nicest guy in the world, then expects to control your life.:lol:

Keep posting on this board, you might get a few other comments. Generally most people in that little payton place they call SLC, don't give the juicy gossip to people just passing through. Especially if they are hard core fishermen. Tell me, Did you ever see Alan fish? I have been there a hundred times and don't think I ever saw him in a boat.:lol: He will tell everyone within ear shot how to fish though. .

Did you meet Wyoming Ken while you were down. Probably not he keeps to himself, and is not a fan of Alans. He spends the summers in your neck of the woods, and winters in SLC. Now there is a great guy.

Once again, awesome post.

[Edited on 13-10-2007 by Minnow]

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 11:47 AM

Wow
I certainly enjoyed being there with you guys.
Great report
Thanks

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 04:52 PM

It's fine that you're "an admitted control freak". In this case, it resulted in a fine description of your vacation. It really gives the reader a good sense of what you went through.

Actually, it's a very typical first time trip for a vacationing fisherman. You stopped at all the right places and experienced very typical fishing. San Lucas Cove YT fishing is very consistent and the east cape fishing is less so. I would have gone to La Ventana instead of Los Barriles, though. There is less of a circus atmosphere there. The fish are less molested. And the launch is a bit easier.

Having gotten all that gear I'll bet this won't be your last trip to baja.

Regarding the fish pictures. The dark red fish in hand looks like a huachinango. They're great eating. The one labeled "spotted bay bass" looks like a gold spotted cabrilla. You probably caught it off the bottom when fishing for YT off the north end of San Marcos.

Glad you hit it off with Alan Lewis. He can be a very good host when he wants to be. I'm also not one of his fans, though. The group of people at SLC are wonderful. They should start showing up right about now and some will stay right through June.

I notice they let you set up your tent next to the fish cleaning area. They did that to me the first time also. The flies can be bothersome there. There are 2 or 3 palapas just up the shoreline. Those are better spots in my opinion and worth waiting for.
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I notice they let you set up your tent next to the fish cleaning area. They did that to me the first time also. The flies can be bothersome there. There are 2 or 3 palapas just up the shoreline. Those are better spots in my opinion and worth waiting for.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: In my entire life I have never had another Man offer to cook me dinner after knowing him only 15 minutes.:lol:

Tell, me. What color are your eyes.:lol::lol::lol:

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2007 at 05:37 PM

Next trip look into an Engle refer. I had one in my jeep for 3 weeks, worked great no more ice, no run down batteries. Also I learned that you are supposed to go down a hill in the sam gear you went up in might save those brakes.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.