BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Best Zodiak type boat for Baja?
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2007 at 09:24 PM

We own a 14 +/- Acheles with a 30 hp Johnsen (heavy but will put 4 guys and dive gear on plane) owned since 1990 2 trips to Santa Catilina (ca.) [26miles one way] once each way in bad water. Never had a worry about flipping! Four times to 'Seal island' (gringo name ) out of San Carlos, Mex. Most stable/versital dive platform made. Many mile on SOC. Sharp rock are a B%$#&. Have home made wheels (made so when down center of gravity is under the 2 6gal fuel tank and forward of the motor {helps move some of the weight away from the bow one person can pull up on a medium steep beach (note I said beach- bigger the rocks traveling over the harder it is)}. Narrow wheels just cut down into the sand. All said and done I doubt 2 guys of medium stoutness could carry( it is ockward(sp?) ) it up much slope or far.
Bought a Port-a-bote last year---- scares the hell out of me--- NO WAY could a diver get on board if by himself. Tips just like a alum. boat. Don't believe the hype on the web site of a diver getting on board-- (see the 265lb guy on the other side and in back of boat----that's what you would need as a counter weight.) have a 6hp Nisson (4 stroke) on it and can barely get it on plane with me in it and then only if i shift weight to mid. boat (tough to do with a tiller steer. Does row like a sled on ice :-). I will fish out of it but like I said it is a trickie beast. PS- tryed backing it and at 1/3 throttel almost swamped it with water over the stern. Kind of flexes over waves and make for a softer ride.

Side note --- am looking at a 'Eide boat loader' to load and carry on top of PU camper shell.(too many years of hard work and time have made me lazier??? smarter???
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 05:28 AM

so...are you selling it or giving it to your mother-in-law????:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 06:35 AM

For many years we owned a 12 foot Zodiac with a 35 HP Mercury. My wife and I used it in US and Baja for for free diving, spear fishing and on occasion SCUBA diving.

Very stable, sea worthy unit, but some what cramped with 4 SCUBA units etc.

The only modifications was 5/8 dia polyprolene tie off clips for equipment and steps for entering.

Also purchsed and often used a set of professionally made fold up wheels which I would strongly suggest for BAJA. I still have the set..If interested PM

sdm
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2007 at 08:25 AM

Bwana-John........Bob abd Susan give good advice. In April of 1978 while on a small sailing boat expeditition in the Sea of Cortez, we were camped waiting out some weather near Ligui. We came across a French couple. The man had just completed a motorized surfboard crossing westabout from San Carlos-Isla Tiburon-Isla San Estaban- El Baril. (Those wild Frencman)and he towed a Portaboat full of fuel and food as supprt. He was lucky as the weather was flat calm for all of the trip except for the last five miles. A big Northerly sprung up and the Portaboat flipped and sank because of the lashed in supplies. What we finally got out of them was the true story of that they had hired a mexican fisherman to go as a support vessel with the wife never 100 ft. away and giving sandwiches and snacks. The 12' surfboard was designed so he could jettison the motor bracket and motor( a British 3hp Seagull) and his wife got pictures of him paddling the last 100 yards to shore from the Panga and claiming the "First Cossing by Surfboard".. He was paid good money for this from some french adventure publication. We camped together a couple of days and swapped tales.He had done all sorts of off the wall trips all over the world and kept every one lauging 24-7.. A Porteboat would be a death sentence in any nasty weather in an open Ocean anywhere. ++C++
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 08:00 AM

I know this thread is old, but for what it's worth if anyone is following it - I fully agree with Crusoe. Stay away from the Port-a-bote for SOC. It might be ok most of the time, but bad weather can come up in a hurry and I would not want to be caught offshore in one of those. An inflatable is a much safer choice. I've owned 2 with my last one ( a 15' Avon, aluminum floorboards, 30hp) being my favorite. Even compared to my 21 foot fiberglass boat that I have now, I've never felt safer than in my inflatable. It had like a 2200 pound load rating!!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 08:12 AM

since it's been resurrected....my buddy has a 12' avon with 25 hp mariner (always rinsed). many trips to baja and was originally used for the hollister ranch.

it's still for sale with foot pump, patch kit, oars, life vests, and maybe some other swag if he wants to clean out his garage....

$2k

u2u with your inquiries.

DSC_0070 (Small) (2).JPG - 42kB

BajaKeela
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 09:14 AM

I agree with all the posters on the comfort of the Port-a Boat... Do yourself a favor and ride in one ... they are the most unstable boat I have ever been in.. NEVER AGAIN would I get in one.. We have an inflatable 12' with a 15hp .. It dangles at 17mph ..plenty fast enough for me..carries all our gear (leave the kitchen sink) and feels much safer than a port-a boat.
heike
Junior Nomad

smile.gif posted on 7-26-2008 at 08:46 AM
Inflatable boat

Hello There
I am in the market to find a inflatable boat/zodiac w/small motor to just zip around the shoreline. Is anyone out there in the selling mood?
Thanks
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2008 at 11:42 AM

I think you need a Zodiak 10.5 footer with a 9.9 Evinrude 2-stroke. :yes:
And I just happen to have one to sell. :biggrin:
$600 takes them both with homemade carry bags. :o
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.