BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paz crowded in April?
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 03:50 PM
La Paz crowded in April?

We're going to be in Santiago and La Paz starting April 7, which I hope will be a little early for the spring-breakers. I've gotten the impression that there are enough rooms in La Paz that we don't need to worry about reservations.

Anyway, does anyone know a cheap hotel with a balcony and secure parking? Does anyone think we'll have problems finding a place?

Thanks!
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 05:21 PM
Probably the worst possible week...

to avoid crowds. April 7 is right smack dab in the middle of Semana Santa (the week before Easter). This is the single busiest travel week in all of Mexico. Though I've never been to La Paz that week, it should packed with Mexican tourists. Of course, I've even been able to find a room there just walking in with no reservation on New Years eve, too. YMMV. The good news is that nearly all college spring breaks should actually be over by then, though I don't know if La Paz is ever really a big destination for them.

Tip: Semana Santa is a great week to visit Mexico City, though. It is almost like a ghost town because a large chunk of the 30million inhabitants are all visiting somewhere else!:light:
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 06:23 PM

Herb)
Tip: Semana Santa is a great week to visit Mexico City, though. It is almost like a ghost town because a large chunk of the 30million inhabitants are all visiting somewhere else!

Stephanie) True story. Avoid Cuernavaca like the plague, though. I remember the one hour drive back in from Cuernavaca used to take more like four hours at the end of Semana Santa. Never seen a highway so jammed without there being an accident.

As far as looking for a hotel room with a balcony, I believe the Crown 7 has good views. I've never stayed there, though. It's pretty new. Some of the rooms at La Perla do too and they have a nice deck area as well, you can sit and watch the world go by from. Out of town about 3 miles, is La Concha hotel, but I don't recommend it. Walls paper thin and too much traffic noise.

The Crown 7 and La Perla both have garaged parking. - Stephanie

[Edited on 3-17-2004 by Stephanie Jackter]
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 10:18 PM
rooms with a view

the Los Arcos has the best rooms with balconies downtown,you better try to make reservations cuz the ferry boats will be full of mainlanders visiting Baja for Semana Santa...try to go to the restaurent Playa de Pichilingue(order the stuffed clams and a cold beer)you will not be sorry...enjoy

I hear the whales song
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 10:57 PM
The sopa de mariscos there is good too....

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 12:58 PM

Daughter and Sister-in-law stayed at the Crown 7 last month. Nice clean rooms, great view especially friom the terrace/bar. Very noisy Fri adn Sat night.
Don't miss buffet breakfast at El Zarape!
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 01:12 PM

Thanks for all of the great feedback! I realize that looking for a cheap place with a balcony AND parking is pushing it, but I'm going to get the numbers of those two places and try to make a reservation. I think one's in the Moon guide already. If they're not the absolute cheapest, so be it. I'm ready to get down there!

Does everyone go home at the end of the week? Well be around until the 14th, so I hope so.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-19-2004 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arthur
Does everyone go home at the end of the week? Well be around until the 14th, so I hope so.

The times that I have visited the peninsula the week after Semana Santa, it has pretty much looked like the ghost town below. (No people anywhere, just lots of trash that would seem to indicate they had a good time when they were there.) ;D

Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2004 at 12:55 PM
Anon post above...

Sorry, that was me not logged in.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.