Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Rafael / San fransiquito report
fishinsteve
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 04:28 PM
San Rafael / San fransiquito report

Well I got back a couple days ago from 10 days down south. I crossed the boarder after work about 2pm on 10-7-07 and headed strait to BOLA. I arrived in 10.5 hours which is a new record for me. I wasn't speeding, I think the combination of a lighter rig and the newly paved road into Bola made the difference. I took a nap and at sunrise I topped off on fuel and ice and continued on down to San Rafael. It took aprox. 5 hrs. to get to S.R. I spent two days at S.R. I did fish a little and was able to catch 4- halibut next to the shore a spotted bay bass. The biggest halibut was about 24" and the smallest about 15". Poncho say's it will get better towards the end of the year. Poncho is one hell of a guy. He's very freindly and speaks broken english. I brought him some water and beer which he seemed to appreciate alot. This spot has a long white sand beach warm water and the dog and I had it all to ourselfs. After leaving San Rafael I drove south about 3 more hours and finally found San Fransiquito. I spent 5 nights at S.F. and rented a cabana because the one palapa they had was taken. I was able to talk him down on the price because the place was empty, but that didn't last long. Before I left the place was packed. At one time there were six plane's parked at the airport. This place was a little run down with only half of the bathrooms and showers working and most of the buildings roofs readlly to collapse. I didn't eat any of the food at the resturaunt but I was told it was good just a little pricey. They had fuel for $4.00 a gallon and a few bags of ice ,also $4.00 a bag. I managed to get a little more fishing in, catching a variety of decent sized fish close to the rocks. Others were catching yellowtail about a mile or two out in the current line. I also did alot of snorkleing which was fun with lot of fish. Water temp. about 78. I met a bunch of new people and had a great time.

The 80 mile dirt road was in great shape but I was told after the race it will be pretty torn up but they will grade it soon after the race. On the way out I stopped by Poncho's to give him another 6 gal. of fresh water with a nice container.

Another location checked off the list.

A great trip with no problems.

Steve
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 04:33 PM

Steve,
Glad you had a good trip and met Pancho, he'll remember you every time you go back.
You didn't spend any time in Bahia?
P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 04:36 PM

Sorry to hear that the "resort" at San Franciscito is getting run down--------they are really "out there" in the boonies and I suppose it is hard to keep things up with limited income. I love that place, and have spent many a night there, but it has been a few years------what an incredibly beautiful beach.

Personally I believe that their high prices (and they really are not that high) are totally justified considering how far off the beaten track they are.

I wish them all the luck and business, and hope that the NOMADS will help and use this "resort" to keep in viable.

Thanks for your good report.

barry
Corky1
Nomad

question.gif posted on 10-20-2007 at 08:10 PM

Steve,
What type of vehicle were you driving??:?::no:
Thanks,

Corky:lol::lol:

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
fishinsteve
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 08:47 PM

Paulina I spent a little time at Gecko to see an old friend and I also spent one evening at the end of the trip at daggets. At daggets I met a gentleman name George and his wife that I can't remember her name. They stay for a couple months at a time at the closest palapa to the water at the south end of the park,you prob. know George. I explain to George that daggets would be prob. be my new hang out at BOLA being that we can't camp at gekco any longer.

Barry, it is a beautiful place and I had no problem with the prices. All that stuff has to be trucked in by pick up truck and it takes many hours and a strong back.

Corky, I have a lifted black F-250 with a callen shell. why do you ask,because of how long it took???
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2007 at 09:53 PM

Yes, 5 hrs to San Raphel??

Corky:?:

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 10:50 AM

Good report, thanks. I've never fished near Poncho's but the halibut makes me want to go and soon.
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 07:23 PM

Hi Steve,
Did Juan or Ernesto take you out in a Panga at all?
What was the day time temps? Hope that water temp stay the same for 1 more month.
Any pictures?
Thanks for the report.
fishinsteve
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 06:06 PM

Sorry for the late reply, so. cal. fires.

I did not go out on a panga. I only fished my kayak. day time temps. I'm guessing 80-90 Degs.

As far as pics sorry I just can't seem to find the time to figure that out. Maybe someday. But I was there and I have a photo graffic memory. Just ask my wife:biggrin:
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2007 at 06:28 AM

nice post steve, that was one of our favorite places to launch my buddys small boat and head ot to the islands. did alot of exploring in those hills behind there allso. may have to go down this next week while were in bola and look around.
fishinsteve
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2007 at 06:43 PM

Steve talk to David A. Poncho says he slayed them when he went down.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.