Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road Agent Poodles and Peninsular Sheep
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 10:49 AM
Road Agent Poodles and Peninsular Sheep

Back from a week a few hundred miles down.

Thumbs up:
The much-improved service at Mama Espinoza's. Visted on the way down and on the way back, and it was top notch. Simple suggestion Mama...add an antojitos combo so you aren't stuck with three tacos, three rellenos, or three enchiladas (but rather, one of each).

Thumbs down:
Fraudatur's sand-filled catbox, Escalera.

Thumbs up:
That the 400 cars gridlocked between Las Caņadas and Uruapan on Mex 1 during the "Banda Blaze" survived last Monday. Trapped in the Death Box, all involved looked on in classic fatalismo. Had the wind clocked 20 degrees, it would have been tragic. Why the policia didn't clear them out before roadblocking defies logic. For those interested, you can see what appears to be the ignition point adjacent to a small cottage on Mex 1. Could have been as simple as a flicked cigarro from a passing car.

Thumbs up:
A nice, compacted two-track through the desert.

Thumbs down:
An elevated, graded road, with every razor-edged stone in christendom percolated to the surface.

Thumbs up:
Octavio, a pescador from Punta Eugenia, who picked me up while hitchhiking near Punta Banderas next to our busted truck and camper. Refused to let me spring for the toll, and offered his cell phone as well.

Thumbs down:
Gringo travelers who don't stop, don't help--'specially for mexkins--no how, no way, nosirree Bob. "Why's Pancho yonder wavin' a gas can? Lock the doors Edna." I hope road agents eat your poodle.

Thumbs up:
Isabel Towing, which crossed the border, loaded up 5 tons of Ford and gear, and hauled us all the way to Orange County for a fair price.

Thumbs down:
Illiterate campers: glass and cans in fire rings, trash, dog chite etc.

Thumbs up:
MEAPA (Mujeres en accion Punta Abreojos) Would love to see more of this can-do spirit in other communities (they take personal responsibility for litter removal and beautification in their village).

As always, impossible riches for the memory bank...like every trip, eh?

The only requirement for love or chorizo is confidence.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 11:46 AM

Great report. I stop to help Mexicans. Only those with gas cans and a hose. If no hose, they might be from Boznia, etc. and those folks scare me.
salvavida
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowmad
Back from a week a few hundred miles down.

Thumbs up:
The much-improved service at Mama Espinoza's. Visted on the way down and on the way back, and it was top notch. Simple suggestion Mama...add an antojitos combo so you aren't stuck with three tacos, three rellenos, or three enchiladas (but rather, one of each).

Thumbs down:
Fraudatur's sand-filled catbox, Escalera.

Thumbs up:
That the 400 cars gridlocked between Las Caņadas and Uruapan on Mex 1 during the "Banda Blaze" survived last Monday. Trapped in the Death Box, all involved looked on in classic fatalismo. Had the wind clocked 20 degrees, it would have been tragic. Why the policia didn't clear them out before roadblocking defies logic. For those interested, you can see what appears to be the ignition point adjacent to a small cottage on Mex 1. Could have been as simple as a flicked cigarro from a passing car.

Thumbs up:
A nice, compacted two-track through the desert.

Thumbs down:
An elevated, graded road, with every razor-edged stone in christendom percolated to the surface.

Thumbs up:
Octavio, a pescador from Punta Eugenia, who picked me up while hitchhiking near Punta Banderas next to our busted truck and camper. Refused to let me spring for the toll, and offered his cell phone as well.

Thumbs down:
Gringo travelers who don't stop, don't help--'specially for mexkins--no how, no way, nosirree Bob. "Why's Pancho yonder wavin' a gas can? Lock the doors Edna." I hope road agents eat your poodle.

Thumbs up:
Isabel Towing, which crossed the border, loaded up 5 tons of Ford and gear, and hauled us all the way to Orange County for a fair price.

Thumbs down:
Illiterate campers: glass and cans in fire rings, trash, dog chite etc.

Thumbs up:
MEAPA (Mujeres en accion Punta Abreojos) Would love to see more of this can-do spirit in other communities (they take personal responsibility for litter removal and beautification in their village).

Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 12:04 PM

Salvavida, I see you're a newbie.
When you quote-box something, feel free to follow it with pithy commentary, a question, or a scathing mullet-slap atop the braincage.

OK Papi?

salvavida
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 12:32 PM

Thumbs up . Slow boy you've sucked me in to baja's cybercyde. Good report. Agreed the Cactus is a much overdue bit of luxury. Thumbs down. Whats up with pre-runners having to be lit up like a nuke plant while on the pavement?
Back to lurking
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Great report. I stop to help Mexicans. Only those with gas cans and a hose. If no hose, they might be from Boznia, etc. and those folks scare me.

So do I. However, when a Mexican with a 5 gallon can start siphoning gas out of your truck and doesn't show any sign of stopping till that can is full, and seems to be out of sorts when told after 3 gallons to knock it off, sure makes one wonder.:?::?:And only about 5 miles from El Cien during the days that the station there was still open.:(:(

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowmad
Thumbs down:

I drove north yesterday (Monday) from Loreto and stopped twice to serve up gallons of gasoline to the stranded....nothing like filling up locals with race fuel!!!

The third stop was just outside of Guerro Negro...an extremely overloaded Dodge 1500 2WD with a full size camper towing a big boat loaded to the gills. Seems the swaying left to right from the overload got the trailer into the dirt and he popped the single axle tire and took out the springs and all. I stopped to assist as these three gringos appeared to be a "mess" and my truck is a rolling shop...but they said they were go to go cuz they rachet strapped the axle in place with two 2,000 load motorcycle tie straps.:lol:

Said they were headed to the promise land (Santispac) with the Uncle Jed mobile (prenunciated- mowbeal) and were good to go. I waved good by and prayed for the oncoming traffic victim(s) when that crap decided blow apart...:o Scary stuff.

The rest of the trip was cool..

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 10:18 PM

Timoteo, aside from the fact that yesterday was Sunday (too many hours on the road?), your post pretty much reflects the state of things on Mex 1 nowadays. Unbelievable that people are so clueless. And people are worried about travelling at night and the Mexican truckers! That's when those type of kooks are off the road -- all good from my vantage point.

Saludos,

Roberto

[Edited on 10-30-2007 by Roberto]
salvavida
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2007 at 08:18 AM

Desert Bull. About 4 0r 5 years Iwas broke down in a bad but safe spot between la bachata and the rosalilita turn off in my big old camper with my dad. In the 3 days it took to get back on the road you were the only one "Gringo" that offered aid. Thanks again
P.s. My truck really doesnt break too often.
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2007 at 08:58 AM

Hat's off to Desertbull and those others who offer help when needed.
Quiet class and desert courtesy go a long way in the frontera.

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 10-30-2007 at 09:27 PM

Yep, DB is a fur sure class act.Nice to hear you on the BN board again, DB!!Mustang Sal

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.