Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need suggestions for what kind of trailer to buy
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2002 at 09:30 PM
Need suggestions for what kind of trailer to buy

I'm thinking about driving down the penninsula from the border for the first time with my 3 children this summer (we usually take the ferry over from Sonora). I have an F-150 king cab with a small V8. I don't know how much weight it will pull, but I'd like to put a relatively light trailer on the back, pull it to La Paz, use it for the summer and then leave it in storage for future trips. I'd appreciate suggestions on any trailers you might prefer and what the price range would be. Also, where would be the best place to cross into the Baja driving from Tucson? Thanks. - Stephanie
jimmy smith
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2002 at 05:02 PM
F150 pulling trailer

Don't do it little sis. That poor little truck has all it can handle with that king cab.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2002 at 02:12 PM

Not the answer I was looking for, but probably the correct one, nonetheless. I already pull a 2000 pound pop up trailer with the truck, but I can tell it's hard on the tranny and have already had to change out the brakes too. I guess I was hoping I could find an ultralight, but then I can only imagine the destruction one unforseen tope could do. Thanks for busting my balloon before I had a chance to bust it in a bigger way. Maybe I'll just stick a mattress in the back and wing it the old fashioned way!- Stephanie
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-1-2003 at 08:40 AM
lite trailer options

Stephanie - don't give up yet - have your existing truck's stock trailering capacity checked at the dealer, then go to a reliable RV dealer - like Beaudry's in Tucson - and match a smaller lite weight rig to your truck's known capacity. You might find the tranny and/or differential can be re-geared to create higher towing rating. There are several new types of trailers in the 18' to 22' range that are ultra light weight. The ferry from Guaymas is due to restart soon and that will cut your driving time a bunch as well as limit some of the steeper grades you would have had to deal with as you'll be south of Rosalia by then. A V8 , even smaller one , on a truck will be able to do some measure of towing - just not for a larger rig. Cooling will be a factor too. You'll need the heavy duty cooling package which is often standard on vehicles sold in AZ. Check the tranny cooling as well.
Jimmy is a sage on most matters and I never discount his experience, but it never hurts to explore it fully - all options with only reliable agents - and then make a safe decision. Buena suarte! If you do go - post when and stop off in Mulege when going thru - I might be at my trailer at the Serenidad.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.