BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beach camping near Cabo Pulmo
kellydough

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 12:58 PM
Beach camping near Cabo Pulmo

My boyfriend and I will be driving from San Jose del Cabo to La Paz in December. We would like to drive on the dirt road that goes by Cabo Pulmo and camp on the beach at least one night. I've paid to camp on the beach at Cabo Pulmo before, but am interested in camping somewhere a bit more isolated. Also, can we camp anywhere, or does it need to be a designated campground? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 01:02 PM

There are a few places;
Just north of Cabo Pulmo is a rather public camping beach that is more like a parking area,
1/2 mile or so south of town is a beach bluff pull-out where people camp but it can be crowded,
about 2 miles south of town is a sand driveway to the left, you veer right to the beach past the rancho on the hill on the left. You cannot see the rancho from the road.
About 10 miles or so further is 3 Palms ? 12 Palms ? where you can camp on the beach but look out for soft sand.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2007 at 01:03 PM

It might be wise to enquire in the area as to the safety of isolated camping. Find out if there have been any recent incidents and get local advice as to what and where. Use caution to insure good memories of your trip.
Have a good one.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-29-2008 at 01:06 PM

North of Cabo Pulmo about 6 miles or so there's lots of beach camping around Punta Arena lighthouse. There's a road that leads there from a ranch just south a few miles from Hotel Punta Colorada...just beautiful, safe, isolated and some pretty fine fishing to be had; lots of roosterfish, jacks, sierra and a couple years ago some buddies of mine and myself succeeded in catching a 45# yellowFIN from the beach casting iron..4 of us hooked up..all were spooled except one guy..took him an hour and a half running up and down the playa..his pic is still on the bar at the hotel..anyway, gorgeous beach, no people
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 3-29-2008 at 07:04 PM

Coral Los Frailes.

Its south of Cabo Pulmo a ways.

Pull to the beach on the north side of the big river bed and turn left at the panguero camp. You will see a long line of Palapa umbrellas along the water side of the bluff. May be crouded on a weekend. We had it all to ourselves during the week. We pulled down along them and set up camp. I was a little concerned about driving on the beach but the locals told us it was cool as long as we stayed behind (bluff side) of the palapas.

Fantastic snorkeling at the north end of the beach on the living coral reef protected from most of the winds by a big point.

I ran up the beach when the last of the Pangas came in and bought the whole side of a blue fin tuna off the last boat in for 70 pesos. It was on ice in the panga and I ran back to camp and we had some of the best sashimi ever.

Let us know how your trip was.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.