Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja, it's a small world
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 04:16 PM
Baja, it's a small world

Paula and I just got back from a whirlwind one week trip to La Paz. No carjacking, no tickets, no breakdowns, no rip off meals................just the normal great Baja experience.

But the real point to my post is that we had a few "it's a small world encounters".

1. While staying at the Serenidad on the way down I was admiring a newish 27' Boston Whaler with a light green hull. Beautiful boat. Thought at the time I sure wouldn't want to tow that myself. I had hoped to talk to the owner the next morning when we left, but they had already gone. Fast forward to La Paz 2 days later, while parked on the beach enjoying a couple of Pacifico's just north of the Ferry terminal what do we see, but the same Boston Whaler. What's the chance of that?

2. While stopping at a favorite viewing pullout just south of Loreto, 3 motorcycles pull in and ask for me to take their picture. Talk to them for awhile (as a fellow biker) about their bikes and their travels. They were going to Cabo and Todos Santos. Fast forward 3 days, we are stopped in Centenario (La Paz) having a coffee and the same three bikes ride by. What's the chance of that?

3. Last night at the Desert View in Catavina (formally La Pinta) I admire a Landcruizer pulling a VW Bug racer on a trailer. Fast forward next day in Rancho San Diego almost home and what do I see the same LC with Bug drive by. What's the chance of that?

4. We also ran into a fellow Nomad heading south at GN.....Phil C. it turned out to be. What a nice guy! He was headed down to Loreto for a visit.

sidenote. We have always crossed TJ at 4am, not this time! 7am and arrived in GN at 4pm. Coming home we crossed at Tecate, Sat at 3pm and had a one hour wait.

Ken

[Edited on 11-26-2007 by tripledigitken]
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Paula and I just got back from a whirlwind one week trip to La Paz. No carjacking, no tickets, no breakdowns, no rip off meals................just the normal great Baja experience.

But the real point to my post is that we had a few "it's a small world encounters".

1. While staying at the Serenidad on the way down I was admiring a newish 27' Boston Whaler with a light green hull. Beautiful boat. Thought at the time I sure wouldn't want to tow that myself. I had hoped to talk to the owner the next morning when we left, but they had already gone. Fast forward to La Paz 2 days later, while parked on the beach enjoying a couple of Pacifico's just north of the Ferry terminal what do we see, but the same Boston Whaler. What's the chance of that?

2. While stopping at a favorite viewing pullout just south of Loreto, 3 motorcycles pull in and ask for me to take their picture. Talk to them for awhile (as a fellow biker) about their bikes and their travels. They were going to Cabo and Todos Santos. Fast forward 3 days, we are stopped in Centenario (La Paz) having a coffee and the same three bikes ride by. What's the chance of that?

3. Last night at the Desert View in Catavina (formally La Pinta) I admire a Landcruizer pulling a VW Bug racer on a trailer. Fast forward next day in Rancho San Diego almost home and what do I see the same LC with Bug drive by. What's the chance of that?

4. We also ran into a fellow Nomad heading south at GN.....Phil C. it turned out to be. What a nice guy! He was headed down to Loreto for a visit.

sidenote. We have always crossed TJ at 4am, not this time! 7am and arrived in GN at 4pm. Coming home we crossed at Tecate, Sat at 3pm and had a one hour wait.

Ken

[Edited on 11-26-2007 by tripledigitken]

I saw the same 100 series Landcruiser in Catavina and El Rosario .
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 05:14 PM

Add to the list of coincidences that your traveling companion has the same name as this nomad...

... whose husband has a beautiful boat with a light green hull. And I know Phil C.*

*I know this is a pretty lame post, but just 3 more and I'll no longer be a SENIOR nomad! I've been feeling really old since my 500th post. :lol:

Edits-- just trying to get it all just right. My mind will be much clearer when I'm no longer a senior nomad, I hope.

[Edited on 11-27-2007 by Paula]

[Edited on 11-27-2007 by Paula]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 05:19 PM

After you respond to this post, your one away.:lol::lol::lol:

Yes I didn't mention the fact that I too have a beautiful boat with a light green hull.

Ken

Frankly I'm beginning to think that my thread was pretty lame too. :(
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 05:19 PM

I will help, Paula...

I would call this more of that Baja Magic...
Seriously though considering there is only one way in and one way out you do tend to see the same people along the way...you can almost always find a new friend by just speaking to them....

What do you think, Paula

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
We have always crossed TJ at 4am, not this time! 7am and arrived in GN at 4pm. Coming home we crossed at Tecate, Sat at 3pm and had a one hour wait.

Ken

Good for you, ken. At least somebody is paying attention.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 05:26 PM

I think you've got it Judy, Baja magic. Great place tomake new friends!

And I think it's a fun thread, Ken, and I'm glad you started it!

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
We have always crossed TJ at 4am, not this time! 7am and arrived in GN at 4pm. Coming home we crossed at Tecate, Sat at 3pm and had a one hour wait.

Ken

Good for you, ken. At least somebody is paying attention.

I guess the B1K participants just choose to ignore the news of the jackings. Chris Hall's incident was at night if I remember correctly. And the support truck that Capt Mike helped sounded like he might have crossed during the night or early morning.

I am really having trouble myself coming to terms with the situation developing in Baja. We have bought land and plan to build, as I have mentioned before. But now, I find some of my precious thinking and planning about our future life in Baja me is also filled with this BS that is esculating before us. As much as I love Baja I'm aways off from throwing in the towel, but I never thought that this situation would reach the level it has recently. As someone else said today here, this will stop many first timers from visiting Baja, but only a few of the veterans.

I really do wish that Score, like the fishing groups, would make public their disqust of the violence.

Ken
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 05:51 PM

Seeing the same people while driving the peninsula has been going on since I was a kid and it was a dirt road (and took 2 weeks to drive to Cabo)!

In 1966, when we did the trans-peninsular old main road, we 'hop-scotched' with a couple of fellows who were driving a Studebaker pickup down the peninsula. They were having a beer at Rancho San Agustin the first time we met... saw them again in Mulege and La Paz, I believe.

Paula, one more post and you will make it to the 1,000th post!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 06:08 PM

David,

Yes, I too have made that observation myself in my 50 years of traveling in Baja.

The race car was seen the second time in a USA neighborhood not Baja one!

The boat wasn't seen on the road, but in the water in La Paz some 400 miles distant from where we first saw it.

The experiences this trip were unusual for us, David. But thanks for your lame comment anyway.

Ken
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 06:14 PM

That was uncalled for... Why post something unless you want us to read and add to it? It's about sharing experiences... Being selfish is lame... I was agreeing with your obsevation, in case that wasn't clear... Maybe it's time for another beer? Cheers!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
David,

Yes, I too have made that observation myself in my 50 years of traveling in Baja.

The race car was seen the second time in a USA neighborhood not Baja one!

The boat wasn't seen on the road, but in the water in La Paz some 400 miles distant from where we first saw it.

The experiences this trip were unusual for us, David. But thanks for your lame comment anyway.

Ken

Ken

David was just adding to your coincidences, that is how I read it.

Still, I like your stories, happens to me all the time too, but not in such great numbers on one trip as you have described.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.