Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Coleen And a Big Manta
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-28-2002 at 09:14 AM
Coleen And a Big Manta

My daughter Coleen meeting a large Pacific Manta ray at Isla San Benedicto, about 250 miles south of Cabo San Lucas.
++Ken++
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2002 at 11:41 AM

What a photo! And what is that above the manta ray near the surface? - Stephanie
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2002 at 12:52 PM

Stephanie:
It is a jack, probably a young jack crevalle. It is actually not on the surface, it is just ahead of the mouth of the ray, between the cephalic fins. Pelagic fish often travel with large mantas in this way. Can you see the two large remoras attached to the underside of the manta? They were both about 3 feet long.
Thanks,
++Ken++
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2002 at 02:04 PM

No. I didn't see the remoras on the first look. How do they attach? By mouth suction? Does anyone know why? Just along for the ride or is there some other simbiotic thing going on? - Stephanie
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2002 at 05:30 PM

They attach with a suction cup that has developed on their heads. It is not their mouth, that is separate. Ichthyologists have been studying the relationship and to date have not been able to determine whether the relationship is symbiotic or parasitic. I think it is parasitic - the remora gets a free ride and access to food (brace yourself for this, they eat the manta's feces), but nobody can yet determine what the manta gets out of the deal. It is known that the suction cups leave irritated areas on the manta skin.
++Ken++
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2002 at 10:59 PM

I like the hitch hiking a ride on the hitchhiker.:D!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

thumbup.gif posted on 12-30-2002 at 08:46 AM
magazine quality, Ken!

What a shot! Maybe You can include me on one of your diving adventure trips. Would love to learn from your obvious experience. I won't do wet suit seasons but if its warm enough I'm game for any where in Baja for diving as long as I can get there in my plane. :D)

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2002 at 10:30 AM

Muchas gracias Mike. I've had an obsession with underwater photography for about 25 years now and occasionally I get lucky with an image like this. Would love to dive with you sometime. I also used to fly and I miss it terribly, particularly reading your posts. I am really envious. I logged about 2000 hours PIC between 1973 and 1990. About half of that was in a GREAT A-55 Baron in which I did more than 100 Baja trips. The Baron was destroyed in a freak ground accident at VNY in 1989 (I was 100 miles away at the time). I rented C-182's for a few years after that but then stopped flying and concentrated on diving and underwater photography for an avocation. If you want to really waste away some time take a look at some of my photos at http://www.kenbondy.com.

Best regards,

++Ken++
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2002 at 02:29 AM
Wow. What a good web site you've got there, Ken.

I can't contain my envy at all the places and underwater venues you've been able to shoot. I just can't help it, but out of all those really great pictures, the one I like best is the bud bottle with the anemonies growing off the end. It's amazing and refreshing to think that nature will adapt to many of our inanities if given the slightest chance. I didn't get the opportunity to check out all the pics, but will when I have a little downtime. They're fascinating. - Stephanie
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2002 at 07:38 AM

Thanks very much Stephanie. That photo of the two little anemones on the Bud bottle is also one of my favorites. Nature is truly amazing! I took that under the Coast Guard pier in Morro Bay about 12 years ago. Thanks again,
++Ken++
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

thumbup.gif posted on 12-31-2002 at 07:56 AM
flying and diving

Two of our Sam's pilots now fly Barons.... what a machine! My resources limit me to my Comanche but its an economical way to fly baja. I visited your site last year. Great stuff there! Perhaps we can plan a trip when it gets warm to La Paz, Loreto, BOLA or PSFO and go below - Mulege has a fairly good operator too, You may know them - Andy and Beatrice from Switzerland? Mulege divers.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
DONDAN

thumbup.gif posted on 2-3-2003 at 05:11 AM
a great photo!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.