BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cativina to San Felipe to Mexicali
alwysundrh2o

[*] posted on 12-22-2007 at 02:20 AM
Cativina to San Felipe to Mexicali

I was wondering if anyone has ever be on Hwy 5? South of Cativina on Hwy 1, take Hwy 5 East to the Sea of Cortez coast and on up to San Felipe, then up to Mexicali. I hear the road is dirt at Hwy 1 and Hwy 5 all of the way up to San Felipe area? Does anyone know how bad the road is? How safe of a drive would it be for my wife and I? How many miles? Any diesel on the route?

[Edited on 12-22-2007 by alwysundrh2o]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-22-2007 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alwysundrh2o
I was wondering if anyone has ever be on Hwy 5? South of Cativina on Hwy 1, take Hwy 5 East to the Sea of Cortez coast and on up to San Felipe, then up to Mexicali. I hear the road is dirt at Hwy 1 and Hwy 5 all of the way up to San Felipe area? Does anyone know how bad the road is? How safe of a drive would it be for my wife and I? How many miles? Any diesel on the route?

Hwy. 1 is all paved... Hwy. 5 is not paved from Laguna Chapala (where it meets Hwy. 1) north to Puertecitos... 86 miles.

Puertecitos to San Felipe is now all paved (55 miles), however, it is not a fast highway because of several steep dips (vados).

The dirt road section between Hwy. 1 (Chapala) and Bahia San Luis Gonzaga (36 miles) is a fair road, can be rough or washboard, but passable in most any vehicle. A stop at Coco's Corner is suggested, along the way!

There is a Pemex station at San Luis Gonzaga, but diesel fuel may be out... across the road from the Pemex is Rancho Grande, a store and they have gas & diesel often when the Pemex is out. TOP OFF in El Rosario, as the last sure diesel source, and youi may be able to buy some from Alfonso in Cataviņa, who sells fuel from cans.

San Luis Gonzaga north to Puertecitos (50 miles) is a very rough road, and will require slow driving due to all the rocks. Trucks or SUVs are recommended, but 4WD is not needed.

I was last over it in February, 2007... see the photos of the road and Bahia San Luis Gonzaga: http://vivabaja.com/207

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

alwysundrh2o

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 12:57 AM

David,

Thank You for all of the information. That helps alot. We will be driving a f-350 dually with a 11 foot cabover camper. Pretty heavy, but we will have the time to go slow. What do you think taking the road with my vehicle?
What about a safe place to camp overnight on the Hwy 5 route?
We will be coming up from Cabo and then going over Hwy 5 to San Felipe. We will have to get fuel on the south side of the intersection of Hwy 5 and Hwy 1. So, from the intersection of Hwy 1 and Hwy 5, it is under 200 mi to San Felipe? We can go approx 400 mi on a tank of diesel depending on the road, slow and go stuff.
I have read alot about Coco's. What is the scoop on this place?
I take it that this route in the boonies is a safe drive for my wife and I?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
David,

Thank You for all of the information. That helps alot. We will be driving a f-350 dually with a 11 foot cabover camper. Pretty heavy, but we will have the time to go slow.

1) What do you think taking the road with my vehicle?

2) What about a safe place to camp overnight on the Hwy 5 route?

3) We will be coming up from Cabo and then going over Hwy 5 to San Felipe. We will have to get fuel on the south side of the intersection of Hwy 5 and Hwy 1. So, from the intersection of Hwy 1 and Hwy 5, it is under 200 mi to San Felipe? We can go approx 400 mi on a tank of diesel depending on the road, slow and go stuff.

4)I have read alot about Coco's. What is the scoop on this place?

5) I take it that this route in the boonies is a safe drive for my wife and I?

Glad to help.

1) I think your camper's contents will get stirred up on the road to Puertecitos... secure everything well.

2) See my 207 web page, I linked to above for photos of Campo Beluga.

3) Northbound, top off at Villa Jesus Maria... next place with diesel will be either Gonzaga Bay or as far as San Felipe, about 200 miles north. The intersection (Chapala) to San Felipe is about 141 miles.

4) See this page for a look at Coco and his Corner: http://vivabaja.com/1106/page9.html

Also here: http://www.vivabaja.com/coco/

5) I think it is safer than any paved road and sure a lot safer than the toll highway has been!

Sunrise at Campo Beluga:

The roadbed south of Puertecitos:

[Edited on 12-23-2007 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 09:46 AM
photo

It is a beautiful drive... In October I did San Felipe to Bahia de los Angeles and back in my Subaru Outback - did just fine. David's right about things getting jostled around in your vehicle... :yes:

Here's a short clip of the smoother part of that section:
http://www.bajatrekker.com/phpbb/files/ptatococos_152.wmv

:bounce:

[Edited on 12-23-2007 by gringorio]

DSC_9151 copy.jpg - 45kB

alwysundrh2o

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 07:37 PM

Hi All,

Thanks to you all for your great information, pictures and videos. I believe we are going to give it a shot. I guess we can always turn around and go back to Hwy 1.
Would you recommend that we take an extra 10 gallons of fuel just in case?

Thanks
alwysundrh2o

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 08:59 PM

Oh Ya,

One other thing, How about safe camping areas?
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 09:31 PM
camping

Quote:
Oh Ya, One other thing, How about safe camping areas?

there's great desert camping along the whole dirt road route, plus, there's the sea side camping too. never been bothered in the six times I've been up and down that road...

:bounce:

DSC_1175 copy.jpg - 28kB

gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 09:33 PM

more ...

My brother's truck and packing up from camp, about 2 miles south of Puertecitos.

DSC_1214 copy.jpg - 20kB

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2007 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Oh Ya,

One other thing, How about safe camping areas?

Places to camp? Maybe you didn't see this: "2) See my 207 web page, I linked to above for photos of Campo Beluga." or you want more options... than Campo Beluga?

There are more! Rancho Grande, Papa Fernandez', Punta Bufeo, and many more campos at or north of Gonzaga Bay.

Extra fuel? If you have a 400 mile range and you are filled up at Guerrero Negro or Villa Jesus Maria, then San Felipe is only 200-250 miles north... again, that's in my reply to you, above.

larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2007 at 05:40 PM

Safe camping at Beluga. There are very few people around at this time of year. It is really a beautiful spot. Try one of the fish dinners at Alfonsinas Restaurant in Gonzaga Bay---it doesnt get too much better.

The road from Gonzaga north to Puertecitos is about 50 miles of the worst road you will ever travel, and my favorite road in the world. It is so bad that it keeps Gonzaga beautiful. It is drivable, but you need to go pretty slow in many spots.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.