BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: THE UGLY AMERICAN? CANADIAN?
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 04:11 PM

My son Steve and a Mexican friend were gabbing in front of our neighborhood tienda when a guy whose nationality wasn't obvious came walking down the street. As he passed by, he looped a paper bag at the trash can outside the tienda, missed, and came back to pick it up.

Steve's friend said, "I couldn't tell whether that was an American or a Mexican, but when he stopped to put the trash in the can, I knew he wasn't Mexican."

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
My son Steve and a Mexican friend were gabbing in front of our neighborhood tienda when a guy whose nationality wasn't obvious came walking down the street. As he passed by, he looped a paper bag at the trash can outside the tienda, missed, and came back to pick it up.

Steve's friend said, "I couldn't tell whether that was an American or a Mexican, but when he stopped to put the trash in the can, I knew he wasn't Mexican."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
CANADIAN SHOPPING --BOXING DAY

I recall some years ago -possibly 15 or more when the US dollar was very strong and the Canadian dollar weak some where around 60 cents Canadian to American dollar.

It was winter --I was visiting friends in Toronto, Canada I had arrived in SoCal warm clothes, hardly adequate for the Canadian winter but I made do until Boxing day - the day after Christmas when all stores have supper sales every thing related to winter is on sale at a greatly reduced price.

I purchased a tan "Canadian Duffel Coat" and immediately placed it on my cold California body-- and did it feel great!

I was standing out side a woman's clothing store waiting for my wife who was inside also taking advantage of the Boxing sale, when a Canadian gentleman joined me as is often the case when the lady folks are shopping.

Assuming I was a 100% Canadian who was wearing the national coat turned to me and stated "Those darn Americans look at the trash all around the mall." I noticed boxes, bags and all sorts of shopping debris and even people discarding their old clothes and putting on new recently purchased Canadian items. All I could safely respond under the circumstances was "Eh?" and lucky for me my wife arrived at that very moment and with out uttering anthing we departed poste haste.

That evening on Canadian news there was a snippet displaying the route to the border littered with discard boxes, bags, old clothes, etc.

The trash was blamed on Americans from upstate New York who came to Toronto, purchased items, put them on and discarded the old items along with the boxes along the route. The next morning TV news had more of the same as well as an article in the local news paper about the trash discarded by the Americans who had taken advantage of the bargains on Boxing day.

So it goes both ways... and now the Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar. One would question that if some time in the future the Canadians will be traveling south to Buffalo and trashing American roads on the return trip?

sdm

Sounds like what our Home Depot in Imperial Beach looks like all the time---same with the closest Wal-Marts and Costcos----people from south of the border---guess maybe trash can one of those situational situations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not the same!

In Canada the Americans littered the malls, the parking lots and the route to the border with boxes, bags and old used clothes..They wore the new clothes back to US evidently in order to avoid customs or ???

It was not a pretty sight...And it was very clear where the trash came from.

sdm
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 07:02 PM

Quote:

Sounds like what our Home Depot in Imperial Beach looks like all the time---same with the closest Wal-Marts and Costcos----people from south of the border---guess maybe trash can one of those situational situations.

I agree wtih you. Sounds the same to me too.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
CANADIAN SHOPPING --BOXING DAY

I recall some years ago -possibly 15 or more when the US dollar was very strong and the Canadian dollar weak some where around 60 cents Canadian to American dollar.

It was winter --I was visiting friends in Toronto, Canada I had arrived in SoCal warm clothes, hardly adequate for the Canadian winter but I made do until Boxing day - the day after Christmas when all stores have supper sales every thing related to winter is on sale at a greatly reduced price.

I purchased a tan "Canadian Duffel Coat" and immediately placed it on my cold California body-- and did it feel great!

I was standing out side a woman's clothing store waiting for my wife who was inside also taking advantage of the Boxing sale, when a Canadian gentleman joined me as is often the case when the lady folks are shopping.

Assuming I was a 100% Canadian who was wearing the national coat turned to me and stated "Those darn Americans look at the trash all around the mall." I noticed boxes, bags and all sorts of shopping debris and even people discarding their old clothes and putting on new recently purchased Canadian items. All I could safely respond under the circumstances was "Eh?" and lucky for me my wife arrived at that very moment and with out uttering anthing we departed poste haste.

That evening on Canadian news there was a snippet displaying the route to the border littered with discard boxes, bags, old clothes, etc.

The trash was blamed on Americans from upstate New York who came to Toronto, purchased items, put them on and discarded the old items along with the boxes along the route. The next morning TV news had more of the same as well as an article in the local news paper about the trash discarded by the Americans who had taken advantage of the bargains on Boxing day.

So it goes both ways... and now the Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar. One would question that if some time in the future the Canadians will be traveling south to Buffalo and trashing American roads on the return trip?

sdm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not the same!

In Canada the Americans littered the malls, the parking lots and the route to the border with boxes, bags and old used clothes..They wore the new clothes back to US evidently in order to avoid customs or ???

It was not a pretty sight...And it was very clear where the trash came from.

sdm

Yea, it is probably quite different. At the stores that I mentioned, the shopping from below the border is a daily affair---often there are more baja license plates in the parking lots than US plates. It is interesting to watch them unpackage everything in the parking lots---easier to get past customs. Often, a good deal of the packing does not make it to the trash cans.

It is also common at some of the clothing shopping malls, especially the Las Americas plaza by the border----same thing, don't want the items to appear just bought.

But, we don't see it on the freeways. It seems that these trash problems are a result of custom limits, and higher prices on one side of a border---doesn't seem to matter which border.

Sorry I seemed to offend you by implying it might be the "same". No two situations are ever exactly the same. Besides, as one Home Depot employee told us, it keeps him employed.

Trust, me I will try very much to not offend you in the future---seems far too easy.

Diane

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 07:29 PM
Touche'

We all lose in the long run. Reason: All that gall-damn friggin'wasteful packaging. What doesn't end up as the bambinos toys made in China ends up in landfills, streets and sidewalks.
You say the litterbugs hail from the NE USA, I say they are the same genre of slobs that litter anywhere. It most certainly is a mindset. If you say they haven't evolved enuff to dispose of properly I say they all have the same missing gene. What else could it be, certainly not a matter of aesthetics.
A shame Wal-Mart and other big ilks don't promote a cleaner environment. Think of the chiit that originates from these mega-corps. What responsibility do they hold in this category.?? Any??
I hear Wholefoods is abandoning plastic bags. This is a step in the right direction.

btw, Western Canada has got to have the cleanest environment in the Northern Hemisphere from what I've seen in my travels.
Point in fact: it's always nice to drive in beautiful places that lack the roadside debris and many times a year these places are swept clean by volunteers, citizens or troublemakers.
A clean environment helps promote same through example. Of course I actually think some idiots enjoy littering.
So what exactly is it? Must be the genes. At least you'd have an excuse.:rolleyes:

[Edited to add Ugly Norte Americanos on 1-26-2008 by Sharksbaja]

[Edited on 1-26-2008 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 03:01 AM

No it is not the boxes, the paper..

It is the maturity, pride and early childhood training of the individual who disposes of the boxes, paper etc.

It crosses all socio-economic lines..

sdm
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
We all lose in the long run. Reason: All that gall-damn friggin'wasteful packaging. What doesn't end up as the bambinos toys made in China ends up in landfills, streets and sidewalks.
You say the litterbugs hail from the NE USA, I say they are the same genre of slobs that litter anywhere. It most certainly is a mindset. If you say they haven't evolved enuff to dispose of properly I say they all have the same missing gene. What else could it be, certainly not a matter of aesthetics.
A shame Wal-Mart and other big ilks don't promote a cleaner environment. Think of the chiit that originates from these mega-corps. What responsibility do they hold in this category.?? Any??
I hear Wholefoods is abandoning plastic bags. This is a step in the right direction.

btw, Western Canada has got to have the cleanest environment in the Northern Hemisphere from what I've seen in my travels.
Point in fact: it's always nice to drive in beautiful places that lack the roadside debris and many times a year these places are swept clean by volunteers, citizens or troublemakers.
A clean environment helps promote same through example. Of course I actually think some idiots enjoy littering.
So what exactly is it? Must be the genes. At least you'd have an excuse.:rolleyes:

[Edited to add Ugly Norte Americanos on 1-26-2008 by Sharksbaja]

[Edited on 1-26-2008 by Sharksbaja]

Part of could be that there just aren't many people living in Western Canada...... and I believe more than half the population of BC live in Vancouver.

Although I do agree, it is one of the most beautiful places on our planet.

CaboRon

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 09:07 AM

I've only been to Vancouver once, for a day, but I'll have to say that what I saw of it was one of the cleanest cities I've ever seen anywhere. Guadalajara used to be known as "La Ciudad Blanca", noted for its cleanliness (in contrast to?) but I haven't been there in many years so I'm not sure now.

Q. How does a Canadian celebrity get the paparazzi off his lawn?

A. He says "Please get off my lawn."

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 10:55 AM
Oh yeah, sure...those Ugly Canadians again..

They sure don't act like this in Mexico City or Washington.

This actually happened in 2004 on Canadian national television.

Prime Minister Paul Martin swore on live television yesterday, apparently frustrated with the progress of a meeting with the provincial ministers over the future of Canada's straining health care system.

During a break in the proceedings, Martin's aunt telephoned him and threatened to wash his mouth out with soap for using the Lord's name in vain.

When the meeting resumed, Martin apologized to the nation.
-

Furthermore...Canadians are so polite they apologize to the ATM machines.

Then there is this old favorite like Oso's...

Q. How do you get 500 Canadians out of a swimming pool?

A. "Hey everyone! It's time to get out of the swimming pool."

A. Say it again in Quebecois.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 11:45 AM

Well the Quebecois weren't very well mannered when I needed some help.

Prior to asking driving directions I asked one if he could speak english.

His answer? "Do you speak french?"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 12:04 PM

That 'Quebec' attitude is very common, Igor...and is typical of what has to some extent polarized Canada from east to west. The provinces which we frequent the most..Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Yukon-Northwest Territories, British Columbia, and a smidgeon of Nanavut...are just barely tolerant of the remote eastern government...and do not like having bilingualism and other edicts shoved down their throats. This is the rhetoric we hear from most of our Canadian hosts and friends.

Reminds me of almost every other nation on earth that contains multi-national groups.

I do know 'a place' in North America that has NO UGLY AMERICANS..NO UGLY MEXICANS..AND NO UGLY CANADIANS...but I am sworn to secrecy. ;D

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 03:14 PM

No need to share, Pompano Who could feel at home there?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 03:48 PM

My brother made the mistake of marrying a Quebecois. I have never met someone who would cheat at EVERY game she played. One time in TJ she had their 3 yr old daughter steal a ring for her and thought it was cute.
I spent a summer there and was amazed at their rudeness. The awesome Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City where they got married was the first place I stayed. The hamburger I had actually made me gag.
There is absolutely no connection with western Canada I can think of. Two different worlds. I would never go back.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 06:24 PM

Roger, have you ever heard of the lakes 'Chibougamous' or something like that? Beautiful country of the sort you like. I wanted to catch northern pike in the worst of way and it was on this trip that my episode took place.

That was about 30 years ago now. As sharksbaja says Quebec City has to be one of the most impressive cities in north america. An old fort. The roofs of some building were bronzed and had that tourquoise blue color caused by oxidation (like those at Stockholm).

During my travels I remember reading a sign, 'Poule a la Kentaqui', and laughed when I realized it was actually Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I got to like the Quebequois and learned to appreciate their pride in their heritage. If everybody compromises just a bit we can all get along.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 11:25 PM

Yep, stayed at the fort overlooking the St. Lawrence River. Very strange experience.

You must be thinking of Chicoutimi. Northeast of Quebec City It is beautiful there and the people were much nicer. My bro(god rest his soul) had a computer school up there and I was amazed at how different just a hundred miles or so from Quebec how well received I was. I would go back there possibly.
Did you know that back in the 70s that horsemeat was a regular foodstuff in the province. I also heard that carion was another useful resource. Like I said , the food sucked. That was when I became a food snob.:lol:
:barf::barf::barf:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 11:39 PM

I wish you could have given us a teaser about the novel The Ugly American without giving away the ending - that is if you did give it away. I'll have to research and maybe get the book. Maybe it's at the library.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 06:57 AM

Well know you know...

I would suspect that "The Ugly American" is no longer in most libraries do to its age and and probably lack of interest.

Would suggest one of the on line used book companies. Since at the time of publication it was a very popular book there are probably a large number avaliable at a very reasonable price in either hard back or soft cover.

Good Luck,

SAM
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.