Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need some Advice.
Trill

puzzled.gif posted on 4-6-2004 at 07:30 PM
Need some Advice.

Hi again,

Moving to Baja...is it the same as in the states? Do I just pick a place and go, or do I have to get Visa'a and all kinds of paperwork filled out first? I'm trying to be methodical about this so I don't go and screw up what could otherwise be a very sweet opportunity.

Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 08:32 PM

Baja is not a territory of the United States, but a pair of states in the Republic of Mexico or more exactly, The United Mexican States (Estados Unidos Mexicanos). So, yes... you need a visa to travel or live in Mexico. A travel visa is called an FM-T and is valid for up to 180 days. A residence visa is an FM-3 and would be what you technically would need, if you are 'moving' to Baja vs. just an extended vacation there... You must have substancial funds on deposit in a Mexican bank, provide a police report on your honesty, and go through normal buerocratic hoops... Plenty of discussion on FM-3s here... use the search engine on the top... Good luck!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

smile.gif posted on 4-6-2004 at 08:59 PM
Living in Mexico

Good advice from David. In addition, I would travel around Mexico and see what it has to offer. Just like here in the good old U.S., Mexico is varied and has many different climates. Do you want to live on the beach, the mountain or the desert. Do you want to be able to return easily to the U.S. or want to live as far as you can from it. Get a good book on Mexico and learn everything you can before you move there. The culture is different and Mexico is a foreign country.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Trill

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 02:08 AM

I was planning on Working in San Diego and just doing a commute from Baja. I have been to Rosarito once and thought it was a very nice place.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 08:14 AM

Crossing the border every morning into SD is an art. You need to get in line about 5:00 am. You should spend about a week in Rosarito, and do the commute to see what it's like. Go to the Mexican Consulate on India St. in downtown San Diego to find out about the FM3 and get forms.
Trill

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 01:41 PM

David K...

Can you explain what is considered a Substantial amount of Money to keep in a Mexican bank...I'm just a poor working guy. :)
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 01:58 PM

Welcome to Mexico Trill, i am sure the folks here will awnser all of your questions, as far as your bank question goes, unless your wealthy and depositing tens of thousands of dollars, you wont have to explain to anyone anything.

Have fun

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 05:24 PM

Hi Trill, as I am only a fond visitor of the magic peninsula of Baja California... I only use an FM-T for extended trips... Others on this board have FM-3s, and they can give you the best answer. The reason is that Mexico doesn't want any free-loader Americans... What a concept, huh?

The border wait in the mornings is 1-2 hours... is it worth that to save a few bucks on cheap rent in Rosarito? Perhaps, but also consider the Mexican Auto Insurance you also must have to stay out of jail if you damage anything in an accident. You may want to check quotes from the three companies (Discover Baja, Baja Bound, Lewis & Lewis) I have linked, for comparison... In the Baja Travel section at http://davidksbaja.com/davidslinks.html

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Trill

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 06:14 PM

Yeah, it's worth it. I lived in SD for 10 years then came back home to North Carolina. I have jobs waiting for me should I come back. I was a stagehand and I worked Security at 4th & B downtown. So job-wise it is going to be good to get back. Rent-wise it will be worth it to live south of the border...Also I have children that I would love to expose to the culture and diversity that I saw on my various trips to Mexico. So all in all...I think it will be a worth-while venture...:)
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 08:13 PM
JESSE

Everywhere I've read it is said that you need to prove an income of $1500 USD per month and another $500 per month per dependent for a FM-3.....not true?
Trill

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 08:26 AM

Is it possible to live down there on an FM-T??? Till conditions are met for an FM-3??
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 12:05 PM

When you get the FM-T (tourist card), request it for 180 days (6 mos.) before he fills it out, the legal maximum... as they make $21 every time, they try and give you one for 90 days, sometimes. That should be plenty of time to decide if you want to live there another 6 mos. or longer...

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
Everywhere I've read it is said that you need to prove an income of $1500 USD per month and another $500 per month per dependent for a FM-3.....not true?
Yes, but its always better if you do things right.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
Well, last time i checked, and it was a few years back, you only needed to have sponsorship (job) from a company here to get one, i didnt know you needed $$$ maybe others can offer more insight.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2004 at 09:08 PM
FM3"s

I've lived here in San Felipe for about 9 years now. Got a FM3 before I moved down cause I didn't want to be considered a "*******" or illegal person here in Baja. I now have a FM2 as I plan to stay and after 5 years I will be a permenant resident with the all rights of citizen except voting.

Here they require $1000 in the local bank for a single and $1500 for a couple for either the FM2 or 3.
After the bank gives you the letter confirming the deposti, you cah use the money (part of it) to pay for the permit. About $150 for FM3 and $250 for FM2.
If you plan to work in Mexico, the fees are a little higher and you need guarantee from the corp you are working for.
Things like this can change on a daily basis so check it out with the imigration officials in Tijuana or Roserita (you MUST renew in the jurisdiction in which you live) even tho you can get the first one somewhere else.

Baja is great place to live but comuting is another story

Debra - I have read about the $1000 or $1500 a month income requirement and some people get a thing from their bank showing that they have it but here, the money in the bank is the only requirement.

[Edited on 4-15-2004 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.