Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: trip south
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 08:53 PM
trip south

It began at 7:00am Friday March 26th we were to meet in Calexico to exchange pesos. We received 10.8 pesos per dollar at a casa de cambio on imperial st. just before crossing the border. We got the green light and continued down hwy 5. A small stop at la ventana for cofee and we were on our way again. We turned on hwy 3 and headed towards valle de la trinidad. After a small stop in valle de la trinidad we made our way to the dirt road that would take us across the rest of the peninsula to just north of colonet.
This dirt road was a beautiful drive through the mountains and different terrain. I think it was about 35 miles slow going 10-25 mph. It was my first time on this road. After reaching hwy 1 we turned south and headed to San Quintin. We passed through only stopping for pacificos and continued south. We stopped in El Rosario to top off our gas cans and gas tank. We also stopped at cantavina to top off again but we had to wait until the electricity went back on at 4:00 pm. at the gas station we meet an employee for AAA he was in san Jose del Cabo doing street maps. What a job huh!
After gas is was off to BOLA we made it to the look out point just before sundown. We toasted pacificos as the sun set behind us and the many islands in the bay sat quietly before us.
We started heading south to camp gecko(which I haven't been before) and I ended up at another military check point on the dirt road south(good thing). After they said we can go I asked them where camp gecko is and they told me I passed it. I couldn't see the cafe colored sign Gecko but I did see the large green freeway entrance and hwy 5 sign so I turned in. We had reserved cabin #6,#11 and #13...These cabins were great they were so neat and just perfect for us. Showers, toilets,sinks refrigerators,stoves this was easy camping and only $25 for 4 people.
Saturday and Sunday we fished with Igor. This guy is top notch and I highy recommend him. I've never seen a captain try so hard and put in so much effort to please his customers. He is serious about fishing very personal and I just can't say enough good things about him. I will always try to get him when I fish this area. Anyway Saturday was good we caught lots of jawfish(like ling cod) sheephead and 7 yellow tail 20-25lbs. All fish were caught on iron except 2 yellows were caught on mullet colored rapalas. Sunday we only managed 1 yellowtail because the conditions were very windy. We still had a wonderful time just drifting talking and trying to empty the cooler box.
Monday we took after to bahia las animas which we over shot and ended up all the way down to san rafael fish camp. We bought a few gallons of gas from the fisherman(very friendly) for $4 a gallon. One of the quads was running low. After talking with them and relizing we had gone an extra 30 kilometers south we started back north. We arrived in animas and parked near the estuary which was loded with crabs. This bay was very beautiful. We had a small lunch and drank a few coldies and it was time to head back to BOLA.
Tuesday we were off to Gonzaga bay. There was a military check point at the junction and they were selling gas at the junction as well. We headed 13.6 miles north to the dirt road that would take us through calamajue. This is mandatory for anyone wanting beauty and adventure. At times the dirt road was between 4 ft high saw grass on both sides with water flowing down the center. Nice slate and other rock formations throughout the can?n. We also found the mission site up a steep hill from the grassy area. As we finished lunch we were off to cocos corner. This is where the first out of 6 flat tires started. I got 2 before reaching cocos. We bought some beers from coco took pictures and signed his book. he was in very good spirts happy and looking healthy. We gave him a t-shirt and a hat(la familia loca) and he gave us numerous stickers. We arrived in gonzaga and hooked up with more friends who drove down that day. We stayed at the rancho grande palapas. I believe the price was $8 a palapa and $5 a car. I went over to the rancho grande store and bought a tire for a spare $40 plus $ 5 to patch another tire I had put a plug in earlier. The next day(wednesday) it was very windy so we decided to go to my dads house south of san felipe. On the way to my dads house I noticed one of my tires leaking air. I was going to try to make it to puertecitos before it went flat. I pulled over a few times to check the pressure I was down to 15 lbs. I can make a few more miles so off I go 5 miles later I get ready to pull over to check the tire pressure but as I do the passenger rear tire pops and is flat in an instant. Now i'm stuck with 2 flats in the same place. I change one tire and a local man named Ramon helps me out. This is right near la costilla. He manages to get an air pump and we begin filling the tire. Then some other guys pull over and they call a friend that has an airtank. So I get the tire full and head into puertecitos. I get one tire patched and have to buy another tire also. 4 flats so far. We finally make it to k43 and are happy to have arrived.
Thursday I went to San felipe because I wanted to pre run the second half of the code 200 race course. My friends dropped me off at race mile 79 and I was on my way. The course was ok not to bad I did it in about 40 minutes and meet up with them at bar miramar. A few more drinks and we went back south to my dads were more friends showed up. The had the carne asada going with all the trimmings.
Friday was the contingency and I decided I was going to race the sportsman class on my motorcycle. It started to rain as we walked up to the malecon to register me and my bike. A few fish tacos and I was off to the el capitan hotel to sleep($73) for a double. Saturday came early and we geared up and headed to the arches for the start. This was my first time ever racing a motorcycle. I didn't know what to expect. We all lined up in order and were called one by one to the starting point. I've never felt so many butterflies and adrenaline that ran so high and fast. 5 seconds he told me before he droped and waived the green flag. I was off and running 5th gear wide open going down the dump road. It was a cool morning but I very soon warmed up as I started going through the whoops. I couln't see anyone ahead of me and I kept ridding as fast as I could trying to pick the best lines. Finally I saw a motorcycle ahead of me I soon passed him and was feeling stronger then I passed Zoo road and there were people taking pictures I felt almost famous ha ha. I passed another motocycle before race mile 15 then I got passed by one of the pro quads but I passed him back. Then a differnt quad passed me and was picking good fast lines. I followed him through his lines as they were fast and not as rough as the race course. However just as I was having the funnest time on my motorcyle ther rear tire went flat. I new It was over for me as I was not prepared to to slove this problem. I had no chase team no one to call nothing to call with. I just cheered on all the guys who passed me as I knew they were enjoying it as much as I had. I meet a guy who gave me a ride back to town. I went by the start/finish and reported that I was out of the race. We decided to go back and watch some of the cars. We watched the cars for a while and then I noticed my drivers front tire was going flat(6 now including my bike). This was just not my day. I changed it and just decided to go to town fix it and go home. I had been in baja for 8 days drank cases of pacificos caught yellowtail went on some crazy awesome off road adventures and I was done. I felt broke down, my bike was broke down and my truck was broke down. I was out of money and out of tires and it was time to say good bye. I made it through the military check stop with no line. The border wait at the east port was only 15 minutes and I made it back with out another flat tire. I pulled up in the driveway and my beautiful wife and son were there to greet me. It was a beautiful moment to be home with my family after an amazing trip to baja....Paul
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 09:09 PM
Great report, thanks!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 09:28 PM

That was great Paul! Just think, if it wasn't in Baja... those flat tires would have meant you had a terrible vacation! Funny how Baja makes all things right!
Congratulations on becoming an Off Road Racer, too! (Parnelli broke down the first time, too!)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 09:29 PM

Thanks for the report.
We heard you come in Friday night!

We were camped at the palapa in front of you guys until Sunday morning.

I recall la familia loca. How did that yellow tail taste?

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 08:59 PM

The yellowtail was awesome. We ate yellowtail for a week and even gave some away. We fried it , bbq and ceviche..It was mighty tasty... We all had a great time. I hope we didn't keep you up to late some of us were having to much of a good time.......I wish I knew it was you I would of introduced myself...I remember your great advice on the restaurants in TJ...Paul
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 08:41 AM

No worries!

We understand that noise is a necessary thing when finally getting to camp for setup! Besides we ALWAYS have earplugs when we travel. :biggrin:

As for introductions, I should have introduced myself when I came over to see the YT when you guys were taking pictures the first day!

I had actually joked with the wifey that I was going over to introduce myself and to mention that we were huge fans of freshly caught fish and that we were heading north because we had been robbed of all food and money by some springbreakers on the road between Fransiquito and BOLA! :lol:
Next time!!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.