Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Concepcion camping questions
mcbockalds
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 09:49 AM
Concepcion camping questions

Basic questions from Baja first timers/retirees who are planning on dry camping on the Concepcion beach(es) next winter for a few weeks in our small (17') but self-contained trailer.

How, where do you buy water for showers/cooking/non-drinking use - at the beech camp or other places? And same question for good drinking water? Any idea of approximate cost for each in dollars or pesos?

For the beaches that don't have a dump station where do you dump gray and black water?

Even though we want to dry camp on the beach and not at the big resort type places, do any of the beech camps have internet access or public phone? Both sets of parents are getting mighty old and we would like to be contacted in the case of a death in the family. Is there any wireless access available in Mulege?

Does Verizon work in that area - it doesn't appear to as I look at the Verizon web site?

Thanks for any help you can give us. :D

This is sure a great looking forum and I think the good nature of the Baja culture :saint: is apparent in the posts I have been reading since joining.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 11:10 AM

1. Go solar if you haven't already.
2. Non-purified water is available at a number of locations like the "yellow store". Purifies water is available in town and near the river at a spor that you may be able to pull your trailer up to. Cost is 10 pesos per 5 gallons.
We use the 5 gallon plastic water-cooler type jugs with a hand pump for drinking water. The jugs are 60 pesos. Get a pump before you go or stop in Santa Rosalia at the ferretaria a few blocks up from the bakery - buy the yellow one.
3. Some campgrounds like El Requeson have informal dumps. Serenidad has water and sewer dumps and has cost me a cigar to the groundskeeper each time. (The office wanted $10.) The resort is very nice but the camping is a parking lot. Maybe go in for the pig roast one Saturday night ?
4. Internet is available at 2 cafes in Mulege via wifi or hard-line. Look for beach campers who have Sat dishes for emergency emails. Telcel phones work at a few spots on the beaches just south of town but there is no reliable service beyond a there. Never heard of Verizon working there although many have tried. Phones are also available in town as is a clinic and air strip.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 11:19 AM
Hi mcbockalds, and welcome to the forum.

I live in Conception Bay (Coyote Bay) and hopefully can answer some of your questions. I will insert my advice in bold letters within your message.

Quote:
Originally posted by mcbockalds
Basic questions from Baja first timers/retirees who are planning on dry camping on the Concepcion beach(es) next winter for a few weeks in our small (17') but self-contained trailer.

How, where do you buy water for showers/cooking/non-drinking use - at the beech camp or other places?
Drive into Mulege or stop there first to get acquainted. There are a few good and convenient places to get city water, which is pretty good. Particularily Pancho Anaya's store at the 'Y' and at Manuel Cuestas' tienda across from El Nido in the pueblo. Buy some groceries wherever you fill and you will be most welcome.

And same question for good drinking water? Any idea of approximate cost for each in dollars or pesos? There are two excellent puriefed water-making plants in town. One downtown and another under the bridge. So cheap it is almost free...plus Thursdays are half-price downtown. All stores offer purified water.

For the beaches that don't have a dump station where do you dump gray and black water?I would make arrangements to use one of the RV park dumps in town. I 'think' there is one at Santispac, but not sure if it is usable. There may be others in the bay by now, not sure. Mayvbe somebody else can weigh in on that one.

Even though we want to dry camp on the beach and not at the big resort type places, do any of the beech camps have internet access or public phone? Both sets of parents are getting mighty old and we would like to be contacted in the case of a death in the family. Is there any wireless access available in Mulege?Wireless is available in Mulege. There are at least 2 Internet cafes now in town, maybe more by now. No problem getting on there.

Does Verizon work in that area - it doesn't appear to as I look at the Verizon web site?My Verizon phone does not work here...either in town or in the Bay. But there are many pay-card phones, cell phone buys, etc. Again, no problems telephoning in town.

Thanks for any help you can give us. :D

This is sure a great looking forum and I think the good nature of the Baja culture :saint: is apparent in the posts I have been reading since joining.

[Edited on 3-6-2008 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 12:01 PM

It's not clear from the above posts but I think I would check Mulege out first w/o towing the trailer into town. Yours is not big but there are some tough corners.

I have not been to Mulege since the flood but The Orchard used to have a dump station. Maybe pull in there, negotiate future dump prices a la carte, leave the rig there and walk to town along the river road to check it out. Might be a 10-15 minute walk from there; level and shaded. This assumes that the Orchards dump facilites werent wiped out by the flood. Locals will pipe in if they are kaput.

mcbockalds
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 01:00 PM

Thanks Diver, Pompano and Hook for the quick replies - you all must still be on "North American" time to be so punctual!;)

We will be on solar or at least that is the plan. Don't have the trailer yet, will pick it up this summer in Toronto and begin to outfit it and our pickup for extender dry camping. Here is a link to the model we have ordered - it is really a super light weight trailer and that is why we are buying it:
Taylor Coach 17' Nik Nat

Since it is so light, it has small freshwater and holding tanks. In the pickup, we will have a 65-gal freshwater tank and a gray water tote (22-gal?).

The trailer's black water tank is only about 8 gals, but with careful minimal flushing and using other toilets/outhouses etc. that will last us a fair while (maybe 10 or more days?).

The gray water tank is only about 12 gals, so that and the tote will have to be emptied probably every 5 or so days - just guessing at this point. This would probably require a local dump site at the camping location or very close by. I don't want to pull the tote by hand or even behind the truck very far to empty it.

Perhaps we should setup camp and then take the truck into Mulege to put water into the 65-gal tank, buy groceries, purified water etc.

Your experienced thoughts are most welcome.

Cheers...John
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 01:18 PM

John...you can easily pull that size trailer into Pancho Anaya's 'yellow store' at the 'Y' as you firsy come into Mulege...the intersection from the main highway into Mulege as you come from the north. You will see the faucet stands placed there for your convenience. You will use your own hose, of course. Would be good to fill all tanks before heading down into the bay. Plus Pancho has a good market right there. That way, you can relax a few days after your long trip without having to return to town.

I have pulled longer boat trailers, campers, etc through town, but it requires a thorough knowledge of the street layouts and best corners to turn,etc. Mulege still has pretty narrow streets and a lot of one-ways that could get you in trouble. But..once you know it, it becomes very easy. I would exit town by going under the bridge and back onto the highway south. Easy to do..you'll learn.

Thereafter make trips using your pickup for water, grocieries, touring, etc. and you should be good to go. Saving water while bare beach camping becomes a normal thing and it sounds like you are all set up to do so. Sun showers, etc.

You will have a lot of fun in Conception Bay. Few other places like it on earth. We'll be looking for you!

mcbockalds
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 04:25 PM

Thanks Pompano for your warm welcome and advice.

I was just looking at Mulege on GoogleEarth and I see the Y intersection just a little way before what looks like a rather long elevated overpass/bridge. I guess Pancho Anaya's is to the left at the Y? And then after getting stuff at P.A.'s it is easiest to continue straight along the left leg of the Y for a block before taking a right turn and then another right turn after a another block on to the street that goes under the bridge and along the river and then eventually connects up with Hwy 1? (Nothing like asking for block by block directions for a trip that is 10 months and 2,700 miles away!!)

Does Coyote beach have a dump station?

Cheers...John
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 04:44 PM

As you enter town from the highway the "yellow store" (Pancho's) is on the right just before the "Y". You pull over on the right just before the store and there is a hose bib on the front of the building. After filling, take a U-turn back out of town before the "Y" as the trailer is not a good idea beyond this point.
If you continue south on the highway past the entry to town, over the second bridge, about 1/2 mile, you will see an aqua purificado sign that leads along the river to one of the water stores. I'm sure you can get in and out of this one with your trailer as well.
About another 1/2 mile or mile down the road is the Serenidad.
In between are the Orchards, Cuesta Real and the Villa Maria, all of which have RV hook-ups and sites near the river.
No dumps at Coyote.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 04:58 PM

Purified water just as you come down the hill into Mulége past the first speed bump on the left. Same guy runs it. I think. Same name, Agua 2000? Lots of room to fill up the camper or park to fill bottles. You'll have a great time down here. Don't forget a spare for the camper. In 10 months you'll feel like you know the area well with all the info you'll get here. Have fun dreaming & packing.
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 05:06 PM

no more internet access at posada. it is now closed to anyone not paying the fee as too many people from other areas coming into posada and downloading and making long distance calls therefore using all the time allowed. you would need to go into town. i have seen rigs at santispac with blue boys but not sure where they empty them. will check with the owners sat night. also i think they have showers but will also check there. camping is right on the beach with a bar and resturant right there. will get back to you on this.

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 06:19 PM

John...if you are camping at Coyote Bay next winter, please stop by mi casa and introduce yourself. I am sure we can let you use our house satellite internet system so you can check on your folks from time to time. We have the same concern as one parent left is now 96. Just walk down the beach towards the beach homes to the north and ask where I live. You sound like a Pacifico man, right?

Also you might introduce yourself to anyone camping with Internet connectabilities...those with the peanut-shaped sat. dishes. Pretty friendly bunch of folks down here.

p.s. We can talk about Minnesota. Have owned a couple lake homes there..Pelican & Lake of the Woods. Used to net smelt up at Silver Creek in college days and paid for our beer and gas from NDSU @10 cents a pound. Did you ever dip net the creeks around upper Lake Superior during the smelt run? What fun that was! Stop by and I'll show you around...you betcha.

Check out these two young Nomads with some smelt in the 60's. Destined for Safeway.

[Edited on 3-6-2008 by Pompano]

- 0.jpg - 45kB

roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 07:41 PM

Panchos is limited on food anymore. There are many markets in town some better than others. Three fairly large ones and two of them even have some Kirkland products. Town is not lacking in internet, atm, curios, resturants, and friendship. :):):)

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
mcbockalds
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 08:24 PM

Pompano you are too gracious. We will surely look you up and will make every effort to be good Pacifico People. My wife the German has a taste for beer and I the Scotsman do enjoy a wee pint now and then even if it isn't Guiness.

I think we may be talking about two different "Y"s.

The one I first saw on GoogleEarth is probably where you turn or swing left to enter town from hwy 1,coming from the north. Looks like some big trees in the middle of a large intersection just after a big left curve after the speed bumps (which I can also see on GE). Then after turning left at this first Y and going about 600 ft I see another smaller Y also with a bunch of trees in the intersection. I don't see a second bridge anywhere, but maybe it is smaller that the huge one I can see and it just isn't obvious on GoogleEarth.

Well, we will definitely slow down for the speed bumps! And begin looking for "Y"s and "yellow stores" and "Aqua 2000" and "Pacifico signs" and other such signs of life's "necesitoes?" (I am practicing my gringo version of pretend Spanish, perhaps I should actually learn a bit before the trip. Too bad I'm not my daughter who had five years of Spanish in middle and high school.)

Yes it is a lot of fun getting this help from you guys and we have 10 months to learn more and fantasize about our future adventures and the friends we are making and will make in what I assume is the laid back culture of the Bay of Conception, Mulege and the Baja in general.

The camper comes with a spare and will also bring some sort of tire fixer-uppe-in-a-can or whatever?

The web site "ontheroadin.com" says dump stations are at Los Naranjos, Santispac, LosCocos, Coyote, and Buenaventura. But I don't know how up to date this info is.

Pompano, just noticed the picture. No never have dipped a net for smelt, but loved eating them. I also like the great car in the pic. Karen grew up in the Cities and I grew up in Detroit, we are just too blessed to have wound up in Duluth. But the winters are getting a bit too long as the blood gets older and thinner.

Cheers...John and Karen

[Edited on 3-6-2008 by mcbockalds]

[Edited on 3-6-2008 by mcbockalds]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.