BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Camping places at Laguna San Ignacio?
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

cool.gif posted on 4-15-2004 at 10:02 PM
Camping places at Laguna San Ignacio?

We have been considering a whale watching trip to San Ignacio next spring. Are there places to tent camp for a few days while we watch the whales?:cool:

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 08:54 AM

At the shallow end, there is point that is fairly obvious. A large, dry area of salt flats are behind it, but the view to the Laguna is a bit obscured from there. The point can be a bit windy, but is pretty. Just go - you'll find a place.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 10:23 PM

Definitely go! It is well worth the effort. The road out is interesting and on the way back you should take the side road that goes behind (south) of all the huge groves of trees (palms,cottonwoods,orange,lime,mango,etc.) that are near the ranchos & springs.

We drove out for the day and we will be going back next year for an overnighter for sure. if it's windy and cool and you don't want to cook for yourself I would recommend Kuyima camp. They have it together.

http://www.kuyima.com/whales/camping.html

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 01:23 PM

I think it would be cool it they beached the old fishing boats way up on the shore, turned them around with the bow facing the bay, painted them up pretty, and made beachfront casitas out of them.

dug
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 02:52 PM

We camped at Kuyima in February. We stayed at camp 1 in our own tents and prepared our food so can't comment on the dinning room. Camp 2 has small houses and a dinning room. We liked the camp and the whale watching trips with Kuyima. We plan to return next year.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 06:41 PM
camping at L S Ignacio

There are miles of camping spots over- looking the lagoon,I like the setup that Francisco Mayoral and his sons have at camp #1, they have tents set up and a large tent for people to meet before the trips begin..better prices than Kayuma,they have been guides for 20 years there...good luck

I hear the whales song
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper I like the setup that Francisco Mayoral and his sons have at camp #1,

Where is this camp located? What is it called? Is it before or after Kuyima?

Thanks!

MAGA

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 08:07 PM
camp #1

after driving that wonderful road from San Ignacio you will finally get close to the laguna,as you make a left turn to continue the first camp is #1,their house is right there,can't miss it ...about a 1/4 mile is camp#2,about another 1/4 mile is camp #3 run by J.Fisher(another long time whale guide)I personaly think the Kayuma Camp is like a catered African Safari,for a price they might even wipe up for you...this Last year the best place to whale watch was Puerto Lopez Mateos on Mag Bay, good camping,restaurants,great guides,and many friendlies (the mothers would push the calfs up to the boat and stay for 15 to 20 min each,better prices than LSI also...good luck:yes:

I hear the whales song
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 08:42 PM

camp #1

thanks for the info! we drove right by it. do you recall how long the boat ride was out to viewing area?

what part of Africa have you visited?

as for Kuyima they were very professional. we drove out to the location had some huevos rancheros got on a boat with two other people went out and spent some quality time up close and personal with the whales. would not hesitate to use there services again, although we are always interested in a different take.

[Edited on 4-26-2004 by elgatoloco]

MAGA

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 09:43 PM

Haven't been out for about 4 years now, but always was WELL taken care of by the Maldo Fischer family. I enjoyed being taken out by his brother -- who's name (annoyingly) escapes me.

You can/could camp right at their spot and they would prepare a quite enjoyable breakfast after going out on the lagoon in the morning.

For a more "formal" camp, Maldo is also the guide for Johhny Friday and "The Baja Adventure Company" ( http://www.bajaecotours.com ).

I can't say enough about my pleasure in dealing with them for many years.

Regards,
--
Doug Means

[Edited on 4-26-2004 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
jimqpublic
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 04:35 PM

We stayed at Kuyima's campground (not the eco-hut village) two years ago. The location is great as it's the farthest campground down the peninsula.

Prices for camping were quite reasonable at under $10 per night for the family. They had clean restrooms with RV type toilets (no odor). They also had shower stalls with solar shower bags.

The location is great with whales visible in the afternoon. The camp is kept very clean and tidy. The paths, tent pads, and parking areas are all "paved" with crushed shells.

The restaurant was good and reasonably priced, but not cheap. As I recall lunch was about $7, dinner $10 most days and about $13 for Lobster (plus drinks of course).

Whale watching was $35 per person per trip, a bit high. One of the staff members played guitar and sang in the evening after dinner.

The eco-hut village is another matter at something like $150 per person all-inclusive.

We're planning to go next year again with our then 4 and 2 year old kids.

Jim
Long Beach
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 05:26 PM

Kuyima 2004

We paid $40.00 for a ride in boat and $10.00 for breakfast. IMHO petting a 40 foot whale is a bargain at ANY price. :biggrin:

Can't wait until next year.

I also highly recommend reading the book 'Eye of The Whale' it is VERY interesting. I learned a lot from it.

MAGA

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.