Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Canyon Toledo
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 12:58 PM
Canyon Toledo

With all the recent postings about the trip to mission SPM I thought I'd post a couple of photo's of some interesting petroglyphs I came across in canyon Toledo many years ago.
The petroglyph site is part of a "complex of 3 distinct rocks. The one with the petroglyphs, a home site, and a shade room.
The petroglyph with the eyes and tear and winding track below is very distinct and much newer than the other glyphs at the site.
The interesting glyph, in my mind, is the one right below it. I won't state what I see in in. I am curious as to what others see. The first pic has only been cropped, sized, and had an unsharp filter applied. The second has been tone balanced to take out red and some green to make the markings stand out.
burro bob
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 01:01 PM

enchnced (hopefully) foto
burro bob
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 03:25 PM
Photos

Hey Rob
'
this is a great way to get some of you photos out to people who love this part of the world. Good work

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2004 at 02:38 PM

Thanks for the kind words Lou.
However no one has said what they see, so obviously those photo's weren't good enough for anyone to see anything.
Here is another photo I just scanned in. It is from 96. The first (digital) photo's are from underneath. This new one is from slightly above looking down.
burro bob
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2004 at 09:30 AM

So no one wants to even take a wild guess. Are the photo's that bad?
Anyway under the "river of tears" glyph I see a face with a beard, a headband or helmet, and a cross above the head. I have always felt that this petroglyph represents a piest or Conquistador. Perhaps someones first encounter with a missionary.
burro bob
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-21-2004 at 06:17 PM

Bob, I am trying real hard and I want to see what you describe.

Yesterday I asked my 15 y/o and he didn't see anything (in the first two picks). I know in person it must me easy to see, but photos don't see all.

Can you highlight or draw circles around the cross, helmet, beard? (like I did with Lou's aerial photo of Agua Calient)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2004 at 12:45 PM

David K, if your 15 year old can't see it then he isn't watching enough tv.
Don't worry though, you and your son are in a large group of people that don't see it either. Maybe I just have a good imagination.
Before I sit down to draw on a bad picture, I will return to Toledo for new photos.
This weekend I was going into De Medio to go swimming but realize now that I need to go back to Toledo to photograoh the entire site again, and look for other things I missed before.
burro bob:lol:
PabloS
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2004 at 01:16 PM

I see a map showing two communities (grids) and a trail between the two. The triangular grid may be on a mesa.
Subastador
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2004 at 01:34 PM

I think part of the problem is that the pictures are so large that it is hard to make out an overall image. Like looking at handwriting highly magnifyed. Can you shrink them or make the focal point more distant from the subject?
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2004 at 01:48 PM

I see a faint square grid with what looks like a cross on top........a mission maybe?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-22-2004 at 03:19 PM
man with a beard??

I can see what BB sees, a man with a beard with some type of large hat with a cross on top. It is hard to see, tho. It is on the left lower part, and very faint.

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-22-2004 at 03:24 PM
pictographs

Remember that many of the pictogtaphs are just abstract drawings of lines, kind of like doodles we all make when talking on the phone when we are bored with the conversation. They may not represent anything at all. Or, they could be like the gang tags we all see spray painted on walls, bridges and buildings...looks like nothing to us, but is meaninful to the gangs....

I remember seeing these Toledo glyphs when I was a kid, sometime around 1980. I wanted to go back several years ago now that I am an adult, and have had training in archaeology, but made a wrong turn and went up Torentes by mistake :rolleyes:, still a nice canyon though.
If you go back, please do take a pictue from a distance, showing the whole panel.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.