Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gone to Baja Trip report-1 pic 1000 words
gonetobaja
Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 4-28-2004 at 04:21 PM
Gone to Baja Trip report-1 pic 1000 words

Well here she is, what else can we say...
http://www.gonetobaja.com

[Edited on 4-28-2004 by gonetobaja]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 07:42 PM

AWESOME!!

Fish tacos for EVERYONE!!!!:biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 01:30 PM
grouper? black sea bass? what????

we must know!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 02:55 PM

is this a sheephead? how big is it?
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 07:02 PM

Ok heres the scoop...

We were on a spearfishing expedition out at the Islas Encantadas. We found a particular area that was just loaded with these fish. I shot a 30lb+ broomtail grouper which pulled me through the water untill I let go and then proceded to wrap up all my gear in 3 figure 8s in the rocks. The fish above is a broom tail(Im pretty sure?) It was estimated to be 40kilos by our boat captain and longtime resident fisherman Don Octavio Dagnino. I helped pull the fish into the boat and could hardly get it to my sholders. The monster was shot by John Morozumi, a Pharmacist from Sebastianpool CA. He was using a custom built 4band speargun with 100ft of floating dragline and a buoy at the end and a breakaway tip. He did not let the fish take line and elected to hang on and fight him up. He was pulled under twice but the fish gave in eventualy and then he swam it back to the boat. The fish was swimming with two others that were just as big in 20 ft of water!! Another hunter that was with us had to come back to the boat to get a bigger gun after taking 3 different shots at huge grouper only to have the shaft bounce off of the fish! We also nailed several cabrilla, some nice yellowtail and snapper, and of course some big triggerfish. One of the triggerfish was wound up in a cave with a customers gun and gear, I went down to help get it out and the trigger fish went loco and attacked me and bit me in the pinky finger. Looks like Im gonna loose a nail, boo hoo.

If anyone has enough huevos to go hunting these huge fish way out here your effort to get here will be paid off!

Spearguns are so nice to have, you dont have to keep the bait fresh...

GTB

Here is a grouper and a cabrilla
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 07:04 PM

Here is one of the yellowtail...

GTB
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 07:06 PM

Nice Cabrilla from the islands
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 04:45 AM
Yellowtail

Gone!
Nice fish!I would appreciate a report if you observe any "Golden Cabrilla" in your Hunts.

Also your yellowtail has been too long in the Sun!If you would Bleed the fish as soon as it is caught,then put it in the shade,the meat will taste much better !

In the Hot time , sometimes it is better to Bleed,filet,place on Ice right away.
Keep the good Pictures coming!

thank You Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 07:56 AM

Well I was trying to be quiet about it skeet but you asked! We saw several of the Golden Grouper/Cabrilla out here. These fish seemed to be much more leery of movement in the water and although I saw several, I was unable to level off and get a shot. It seemed like they knew eveyone was after them!

As far as the yellow, thanks for the advice. That particular one was shot close to the boat, and then just thrown in and forgotten for an hour or so because I didnt want to get out of the water to put it on ice! It was fish fever in its purest form. Shoot a nice fish and then you mind goes blank and you forget about everything but the next fish!

The other thing is that those yellow tail gush alot of blood out when they get hit and we wanted the fish out of the water ASAP to avoid any unwanted guests showing up:no:

Im making a couple of more trips down next month. Its only a matter of time untill I get one of those golden's in my sights. Then Il post him up here.

I just look for the big yellow banana fish moving between the rocks...

GTB

We also got some good eatin snapper!
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 07:58 AM

The moment...

GTB
smlslikfish
Junior Nomad

Mood: La Costilla Bound

[*] posted on 5-4-2004 at 04:33 PM
location?

Southwest corner of San Luis?
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2004 at 08:49 PM

um, yea...

It was on one of the corners by a deep trench, or was it the cove by the front? Oh yea, now I remember it was by the one side with the water by the rock, yea now its commin back to me.

Im sure it was by the rock in the water by the side close to the trench where the caves are by the sand...

I think....

I do remember getting some big fish, and then a real bright light and some loud noises.

Wheres the bottle opener?

I can tell you exactly where it is once Im under water.
GTB

Now that you have exact directions to my grouper hole make sure you dont show up without squid, beer, and limes.

My memory might be better if I meet you there...

smellslikefish, check you PMs!

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by gonetobaja]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.