can you do some thing on the Jungle
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by desertcpl  
Roger

can you do some thing on the Jungle

I have nothing up to date right now. Lots of pics, etc. from a couple years ago and more. Am confined to Up North stuff for a few more months, but will try to do just that next winter. Always a great place to gather.

Here's an oldie that shows the sign ..

Jungle Jim's signpose.JPG - 57kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 02:38 PM

number of years ago,, we was broke down in Mulege

got to the Orchard they had a RV park,, my 5th wheel was not movable
so it was walking distance to the Jungle,, had so much fun
people were really very friendly and the food was off the hook
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 03:04 PM

My first time at La Jungla was in December 1995, Jim and Dimas were the CIC, and I was camped at Marybell's. I found it an extremely easy stroll from the park to the bar, but only one-way..... going back the other, I kept stepping on my fingers....... :(

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 04:36 PM

Dang Olives....

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 06:32 PM

SOME JUNGLE HISTORY

As I recall it, first operators at the cantina now called 'Jungle/Jungla/Jungle Jims' were a lively couple named Paco and Rosie (Rosita). They started in the cantina business by building a very small bar on the side of the highway next to the turn-off for the Serinadad Hotel. It went well, but kind of interferred with traffic out to the Hotel, so it went away...

They resurfaced in the business in the old delapitated building which would become La Jungla later on, but was known back in the day as simply 'Paco and Rosie's'. This was around the mid-70's or so...I think. It's damn hard to remember anything so fuzzy and I won't try.

Paco and Rosie were involved in social events, too...like the first town chili cook-off at the Serinadad..where I took this photo.

Paco & Rosie's sat next to a half-dozen little rooms in a row. I really don't know, but I think those rooms might have belonged to a corn farmer for storage, because they were called 'cribs'.

After Paco and Rosie moved on, the next business at that site went to a fellow named Spencer. He had operated a thriving cafe in California before coming to Baja, (that Ca. cafe was Mama's Royal Cafe which gained some fame in it's day.) He ran the Mulege place for a couple years and then moved on to Cabo where he opened a restaurant in the Mar de Cortez Hotel named 'Spencers' turning the Mulege cantina over to his son, Steve, and daughter-in-law, Alma. Last time I was there, 'Spencers' in Cabo was undergoing a major change.

Steve and Alma kept it alive for a while, then decided to open a roadside cafe under the bridge on the old Mission Road. Along with that, they offered plants, trees, etc from a small nursery. I planted quite few at mi Coyote casa. Steve and Alma eventually joined Spencer in Cabo and opened a busy and very popular cafe there, Mama's Royal Cafe...like following in father's footsteps.

Then comes times closer to the present and the start of the fun Jungla and it's colorful cast of characters...and you know the rest of the story.

Explanation of any inaccuracies.....This is about 6 million brain cells ago...around 2010. (Rest in peace, Bart.)

[Edited on 7-13-2015 by Pompano]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 03:13 PM
Remember When?

Most folks will remember when this cantina was part of the Hacienda Hotel in downtown Mulege...

But how many remember when it was a different cantina name? When the then new manager couldn't think of a good name, so he simply called it the The No Name Restaurant?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 03:43 PM

So, anything continue on at Ray's Place out in the valley, after he died?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 03:58 PM

The Pelicano was run by a series of Characters under several different names...One of whom was the guy that once owned Buena Ventura, then by Scotty, at one point was managed by my son Carlos who now has the racing bar, on the river...I spent Y2k nite there with a madwoman from Irvine......film at 10....

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
The Pelicano was run by a series of Characters under several different names...One of whom was the guy that once owned Buena Ventura, then by Scotty, at one point was managed by my son Carlos who now has the racing bar, on the river...I spent Y2k nite there with a madwoman from Irvine......film at 10....

...I shall avert my eyes.....

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 07:14 PM

HACIENDA HOTEL & CANTINA MANAGERS OVER THE YEARS..

These are the operators of this hotel and cantina in order of time...as best I can remember.

Alphonso..(the present owner of the hotel...for many years.)

Alphonso was running the place when we first stayed there in 1972. A room then was $4 USD, and in fact, we had Rm 4. Thereafter, we have needed a room from time to time, depending on...conditions. I have always enjoyed visiting with this old gentleman.

Aaron Funk (note: for reasons known only to him and the demons in his head, he painted over all the old-time autographs on the walls in the photo above...hundreds of names, many quite famous..John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Burt Reynolds, Lisa Minnelli, director John Sturges and many more Hollywood types. My buddy and I signed ours on the hotel barroom wall under Wayne's signature in 1972...gone too.)

Aaron Funk

Franc y Jean Pierre (probably the most popular of all managements. Franc left the scene after a short stay. Jean Pierre was a masterful chef and host of many great parties, plus being a successful ladies man.)

Jean Pierre and Chantelle at mi casa. (Second and third from left in this pic)

Jean Pierre on horseback with a date

Pierce y Val (Scotty worked for them as chef before they all moved over to the Candil after mi amigo Matt had completely renovated it.) Pierce left after a year or so and Scotty took over the management.

Mateo - Matt (a nice fellow and benefactor to many in Mulege and The Bay) Rest in peace, old friend.

Carlos ( A great host...we all loved his sidewalk tables for breakfast,lunch, and dinner..so we could watch Zulema walk across the square.) ;)

I have a photos of Carlos behind the bar and at the sidewalk tables, sorry but cannot find them right now.

The hotel and cantina have shown us all lots of entertainment over the years...and I wish it many more of the same.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 10:30 PM

Bump. Some of the newer Nomads may enjoy this old thread by one of the most prolific Nomad posters.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 06:05 AM

so wonderful! so much history behind each face. thanks for resurrecting.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 07:36 AM
Pompano

Has anybody seen or heard from our most prolific Nomad poster???
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 07:53 AM

I've recently been wondering the same. Hope all is well.

Anybody have a fix on Co-Pilot?

[Edited on 11-8-2016 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.