Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: more Info
Suzy

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 03:46 PM
more Info

Hello,
Thanks so much for the input. The more we talk about it, my travel buddy and I have decided to spend about a week in Baja and then cross over by Ferry in San Rosalia or La Paz (thanks for the heads up Wilderone) of course if something catches our fancy we will not be on a time crunch. We both love to hike, fish!, explore and stay away from tourist traps. Both are addicts when it comes to the ocean so that is going to be a major guide line to our where abouts although like I said nothing is set in stone. So we are thinking travel from one spot to the next deciding when we get there how long we will stay according to the level of interest. We dont mind driving all day but would stop a couple hours before dark just to b safe. So in my out dated AAA travel book the map shows that Highway 1 is the main drag that often leaves the beach. I think I shall purchase a more detailed book. How many hours does it take to drive from one end to the other...well at least to La Paz? Where are the best places to Rock/shore fish? Am I needy or what? Thanks:biggrin:
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 04:53 PM
Santa Rosalia

I am pretty sure the ferry does not run out of Santa Rosalia any more. I believe it does run from La Paz and know it runs out of Cabo. As for safety, I would think you are safer in Baja California than in the United States. However, the information given to you in the previous posts is very good. Lots of women travel in Baja without any problem. Just use the same care as you would here in a strange town. I would avoid the cantina's only and opt for the bar in a resturant or hotel. Many of the cantinas are for meeting women who will sell you favors so the men have a tendancy to solicit women. Have a great trip.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 06:48 PM
Cabo Ferry?

Has been out of service for more than ten years! Driving time from Tijuana to La Paz is about 22 hours non-stop, but do break it up a little.

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 07:27 PM
Santa Rosalia Ferry

Muy Malo advice Capitan,the only 2 ferries that operate out of Baja are the Santa Rosalia and the La Paz routes,I believe the Cabo ferry stoped about 12 years ago...enjoy

I hear the whales song
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 07:59 PM
Sonora-Sinaloa

If you are going to the mainland, be very careful. There is a lot of drug trafficking going on. I hope one of the people traveling with you speaks some Spanish, and make sure that all of your papers are in order and that you are not carrying any contraband of any kind. Finally, keep in mind that you are traveling to a foreign country where things are done differently. I have spent a lot of time in Mexico and other parts of Latin America, and I think the key is to keep a low profile and not to behave like an "ugly American."
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 04:03 AM

Use your common Sense!

Stay away from Bars and Cantina"s!

Do Not Wear Offense Clothing , such as "thongs" in a Public Square.

If you have to go "Nude", do it at a Private Beach.

Do Not Drive at Night!

Stop and Visit the Local Missions!

Stay at the "Los Ciros" in San Quintin!

Stop and see "Oscar" at Rancho Santa Inez!

Stay at the "Hotel Oasis" in Loreto!

Stop at the "Hospital General" in Cuidad Constitution{See the director Dr. Rene Hibiff who speaks excellent english} ,Visit the Clinic for the children.

In La Paz stay at the Hotel Marina,eat Tacos at the "Albatross Taco Stand on "Jalisco" {one way street near the "Old CCC}

Eat Chinese at the 2nd Story building about 2 Blocks up from the Beach.

Visit "Ruffos" buy a Cuban Cigar for your Friends in the States!

Eat at the "Bismark 2" Taco stand about 3 Blocks East of the 16th of Sept. and Malacon.

Go to the "Soldiers and Sailors Hospital" visit the Childrens Ward.

Go to the Mission in the Town Square,walk around the Plaz at Night,smile and Salute the Mexican People.

While in the Mission say a Prayer for all the Children.
Try to learn the lanuage,be happy and enjoy the"Not today Attitude!!

Skeet/Loreto
"In God I Trust"

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 06:18 AM

The Santa Rosalia Ferry is now operating.

Here's the link the operator sent us....

http://www.ferrysantarosalia.com/

We will be "checking it out" next week.

:yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 07:51 AM

Dont forget your lonley planet book
they have a bja book and a mainland book you'll find all the cheeps in there;D

All that wonder are not lost

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.