Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mulege Old Folks' Home
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 09:25 PM
Mulege Old Folks' Home

The Old Folks Home in Mulege is in need of supplies and I am hoping readers might drop stuff off while headed south. They have no heat or air conditioning and could use some comfortable chairs (all they have are the plastic beer kind!). Also on the list are adult diapers, shampoo, hand & body lotion, lip balm, eye drops, sugar, cereal (baby-type?), "marcena de sabor", towels, cleaning supplies, color markers, paper for office use, pens & pencils, and chairs for the shower.

Also a 92 yr old American woman (speaks NO Spanish!) has been left at the home by her son-for more info please read Fred's board.

Donations can be dropped off at Villa Maria Ysabel Trailer Park in Mulege. Muchas Gracias!!!!
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 08:49 PM

Baja Bucko,
Will you please expand on this thread. I don't doubt you. But, I do find it incredibel that this problem is now invading Baja. This is not something that we can sweep under the rug even as we get so involved in saving one lion in the south of Baja.
Give us more informtaion please!!!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 09:44 PM

Not much to expand on...dropped in to visit Maria Ysabel while heading off for another mule trip. Got to discussing familias antiguas (I do Baja genealogies) and while I was packing up the stuff I bring down for ranchers' families she mentioned the Old Folks' home. So I left some stuff w her and she told me abt the poor old American woman abandoned there. I was shocked to say the least.

So now I've added the Old Folks' home to my weekly to-buy list for Walmart. It is so easy to make a difference in others' lives...$10 a week spent on sale items adds up to alot of NEEDED stuff that puts smiles on faces. By the time I head south again I have a LOAD of things including sewing stuff and tools (for the ranchers)...now I'll add old folks' stuff to the pile......I wish more people would do this.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-2-2004 at 09:51 PM

Bucko,
In my small way I have been doing this stuff for over 40 years. But I have never been confronted with the senior citizen thing. I would like to help if you or someone else can give me a little more information.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
lindsay
Nomad

smile.gif posted on 5-5-2004 at 07:36 AM
Helping Out

Very kind of you to post about this home. I'm friends with Maribel and she is a generous supporter. I used to live in Mulege and will be visiting at the end of May for two weeks. Since there are different supplies and seating needs, I would like to ask Saul (who owns one of the local tiendas) if he could help by bringing any of your donations down to the home. He drives up to TJ and San Diego monthly to stock his store and has a large truck. He was also a helpful resource for Mulege's museum projects I worked on with local students so I think that he would be happy to assist.

If anyone here would like to get involved, let's see what we can do. Let me know what you think.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 10:36 AM

Please Let me know if there is any way I can Help. I have been trying to get 4 Suitcase of Jackets to the Kids In Constitution with no Luck! Only had one response!!
I have many used Clothes of all sorts,problem is Transportation to Muelge from Dos Palos Calif.
The Mexicano Minstrey at Emanuel Souther Baptist Church is overloaded with generous donations of Good Clothes.

I will personally say that Saul Davis is a very "Good Man". he is the Brother to Gloria Davis, the First Congresswomen of BCS when it became a State.

Let me know what is needed.

SKeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 02:16 PM
Helping Out Continued

Thanks to Skeet and others interested in helping. When I'm in Mulege, I will see if Saul would be able to make space in his truck for donations. Maybe we can designate a meeting point and date when he will be in San Diego at somepoint.

I will update here when I get back from Mulege in early June. I will also be seeing Maribel and get her input as well.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.