Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Punta Cabras
jodiego
Nomad

Mood: ever hopeful

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 07:40 AM
Punta Cabras

Anyone been to Punta Cabras this summer? Any crowd, any incident, any problems at all?
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 02:25 PM

I will let you know....I will be down there next weekend. I will post a trip report and a surf report!

jodiego
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 05:14 PM

Thanks Geoff. Hope the surf is pumping!
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 10:02 AM

I hope so too! It looks like there is going to be a little SW swell in the water, so I am hoping it will be fun down there!

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 07:27 PM

Well jodiego, the surf was not pumping at all. It was small the entire weekend. I don't think that SW swell filled in like they thought it was going to. Water was nice....I surfed five times and wore trunks each time. There were quite a few campers at Cabras....mostly on the south side where the cove is. There was one large group on the north side at Long Beach and a few individual cars here and there. Everything seemed pretty quiet and as it should be.

jodiego
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2008 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Well jodiego, the surf was not pumping at all. It was small the entire weekend. I don't think that SW swell filled in like they thought it was going to. Water was nice....I surfed five times and wore trunks each time. There were quite a few campers at Cabras....mostly on the south side where the cove is. There was one large group on the north side at Long Beach and a few individual cars here and there. Everything seemed pretty quiet and as it should be.

Thanks for the report Geoff. It certainly has been a very quiet summer for surf. I'm amazed that you were able to trunk it the entire time. It's usually very cold down there. I'm hoping to get down there some time in September.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-13-2008 at 11:53 AM

i thought it has been descent, except for the past few weeks.....and here come #10E around the corner/cabo.

prayforsurf

jodiego
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2008 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
i thought it has been descent, except for the past few weeks.....and here come #10E around the corner/cabo.

prayforsurf

You know Woody, you're probably right about the surf being decent this summer. It's just that I have had a run of bad luck. First I got a rash that kept me out of the water for over a month this spring and now I am just recuperating from an ear infection that kept me out of the water for 6 weeks. I'm even too embarassed to tell you where I surf, but the fact is I have been surfing this spot for over 10 years and never gotten anything until this year. But hopefully I'll be OK for the rest of the year. I especially love the fall when everyone either goes back to school or back to Arizona and the surf picks up and the crowds mellow out.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-13-2008 at 12:51 PM

Quote:

I especially love the fall when everyone either goes back to school or back to Arizona and the surf picks up and the crowds mellow out.

ahhh, grasshopper!

prayforsurf and santa ana's

we're going in oct 10-19.... shhh!!!!

[Edited on 8-14-2008 by woody in ob]

Desertsurfergal
Junior Nomad

Mood: wishful..for Baja

[*] posted on 8-13-2008 at 01:32 PM

I too enjoy when the summer crowd goes back to school, and the waves are enjoyable. Sorry for those of us who ARE native Californians that are financialy forced to live in places like Arizona. Makes us that much more dedicated for the surf!!!

\"Life\'s a journey, not a destination...\" Aerosmith
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2008 at 09:40 AM

Well, June was one of the best summer months for surf that we have seen in a while......too bad it has fizzled out the last few months. Regardless...even when it is small, just getting out there in trunks and enjoying warm water and the sun is a treat....but it would be nice if it was head high or bigger!

love2wipeout

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 01:04 PM

does any one know if its gona be pumping this weekend the 5th??
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertsurfergal
I too enjoy when the summer crowd goes back to school, and the waves are enjoyable. Sorry for those of us who ARE native Californians that are financialy forced to live in places like Arizona. Makes us that much more dedicated for the surf!!!

Well, I'm not out in Texas for financial reasons but I surely sympathize.....at least you've only got a few hours for a surf trip! Its either six hours to sloppy Galveston surf (well, once in a while it gets good) or 20 hours to San Diego.

We used to go to Cabras, went there often in the early 80s and camped on the point....surf was okay, sometimes a sandbar would form in the cove and be really fun. A few too many folks there now for my likes though...........

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by Mexitron]
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2009 at 10:31 AM

Cabras has turned into a major destination for SD surfers for whatever reason. They are mostly Baja-noobs who don't really know much and hit it there for the feeling of an adventure.... little do they know :)

Love2Wipeout ... You'll have to find out yourself and check it out. Picks up the South pretty well.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 06:45 PM

Good, Cabras has some of the worst surf in Baja. Not a surf destination in my book.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.